THE BROWNS BOARD

This Draft.......YAAAWWWNNN!!!!

gmp

You can spin this in a hundred different way's. but the bottom line is the Browns drafted, nobody with impact...

No skilled positions to mention...No Impact Defensive people......OK, a somewhat noteable canter...yippeee frickin dooo..

and some sloppy seconds from the Jets......OK they increased the draft number of players but what did they really get?...

The answer my friends will blow in the November wind in Cleveland stadium when once again they will have nothing to show for this draft......

Very disappointed in what they could have gotten and what they really received......

I guess I'll start looking for that Center's Jersey soon...in the sporting good stores......

you are right WR is not a skilled position! And Robiskie at 36 was good, would rather have had Rey at 36 and Robiskie or MassQ next but hey. but just cause they did not follow what I wanted, what I thought was best I would not call a skilled position a non skilled position just cause I am mad and did not like who they picked.

You can spin this in a hundred different way's. but the bottom line is the Browns drafted, nobody with impact...

No skilled positions to mention...No Impact Defensive people......OK, a somewhat noteable canter...yippeee frickin dooo..

and some sloppy seconds from the Jets......OK they increased the draft number of players but what did they really get?...

The answer my friends will blow in the November wind in Cleveland stadium when once again they will have nothing to show for this draft......

Very disappointed in what they could have gotten and what they really received......

I guess I'll start looking for that Center's Jersey soon...in the sporting good stores......

Surprise. Another disappointed Rey Rey fan.

You should consider getting Mr. Mack's jersey one size larger than you currently need. You'll be wearing it for a

while and you'll probably grow into it.

I wouldn't give the draft anything more than a "C".....But it's incredible just how stupid some people can be.

I wanted someone besides Robiskie whe we drafted at 36 but c'mon, the guy was going to be a first round pick had he declared last year. A bad QB and a minor injury hurt his stock. On top of this, he's a good kid that is extremely intelligent.

He's going to surprise some people. I'm proud to have him as a Brown.

yawn? Our O-Line is about to be stacked plus with an improved WR core I think DA will end up starting and he will have time to stretch the field. I think ManKok did a good job as far as getting the guys they wanted just now what the people on this board wants. If you watch the post game press conference that drafted all men with high academic performance who are tough, hard working, smart who were selfless and competitive. I have also read that Mangini thinks he can fix this defense through coaching and if thats the case why spent your high picks on defense.

And don't say sloppy seconds referring to the guys we got from the Jets. The safety we already made an offer on but was a RFA i believe and it got matched from new york. Obviously Mangini feels like he saw something in his years as a NYJ coach in those guys and there is a reason why they will be in Cleveland

Guest Masters
No skilled positions to mention...

You lost me right there. Last time I checked, WR was a skilled positions, and CLE took two of them in 2nd round.

it's ironic mangini traded back to the Jets #17, almost like his pride stubbornly refused to allow him to pick below what he rightfully earned. 17, that's above .500, not too shabby for a recently fired former ball-boy i must say. quite high for a guy who was fired at all, really.

gmp, i have given you the benefit of the doubt many times but this is the final straw. at this point a man on a galloping horse can see your lick and stick browns helmet tattoo peeling.

i refuse to entertain anyone's ideas any longer who can't see merit in this draft. if you return to the ship it's gonna be by way of bandwagon--so that's it. you're officially dead to me as a fellow fan.

and honestly.....nah, i'll just leave it at that.

Yea, you're right. Look how well the "impact players" did for us in the past drafts. Couch, Brown, Green, Warren, Wimbley. You're right, they all had a HUGE impact on where the Cleveland Browns are today................I bet you wet yourself over all of those drafts.

This draft will not do anything for the Browns. I don't see us improving at all, except maybe at Center. Predict a lackluster season. Wonder how DA will do? He will probably pass better because of more protection. Defense? Don't see much improvement. Just telling the truth as I see it folks, don't shoot me. :rolleyes:

This draft will not do anything for the Browns. I don't see us improving at all, except maybe at Center. Predict a lackluster season. Wonder how DA will do? He will probably pass better because of more protection. Defense? Don't see much improvement. Just telling the truth as I see it folks, don't shoot me. :rolleyes:

troll.jpg

Going to address a couple posts in this thread at once here..

Drafts don't need to be flashy to be good. The Browns didn't see a pick at 5 that they thought would be worth the money involved, so they traded down a couple times and added more picks to provide depth. Good move. They picked the best center in the draft (probably the best center that's come out of college football since Nick Mangold). Teams should be built from the inside out. What have Kokinis and Mangini done? They drafted what looks like a great center to solidify the center (or guard) position for years to come. The offensive line looks like it will be very good. On defense, they added a very solid 3-4 DE in Kenyon Coleman. He'll either start, or share time. I think he'll start. That gives them good depth and a pretty good rotation of 3-4 ends. The defensive line should be solid, at worst.

Off the lines now.. WR was probably the biggest position of need. They're apparently keeping Braylon, who is a #1 when he catches the ball. I'm hopeful that he will in a contract year. They signed two guys who should compete for #2 eventually, although I think Robiskie gets it right away. He's technically sound. I think he would fit better opposite a burner, but he'll be a very good possession guy. Massaquoi is a very good blocker, he's big, and he can jump. Good red zone threat, solid third WR. He needs to work on his drops. They added a RB for depth in James Davis, a guy who is thick and is a good cutback guy. He racked up a lot of yardage and scores at Clemson, despite Clemson having a terrible offensive line. With a good line, I think he could be good as a backup, but likely a third RB.

In the secondary, the new regime added a starter in Abram Elam and a whole lot of depth. The corners are still a question mark IMO, but if they progress they should be decent.. nothing spectacular in the secondary, but it certainly won't be worse. Elam makes them better, Wright is solid, McDonald can be solid. Corey Ivy is a very good depth player, Poteat I'm not too sure about.

I will admit that I was hoping for a little more at the LB position in the offseason. Eric Barton is a good addition and led the Jets in tackles last year if I'm not mistaken. He's not a pass-rusher, which is still a big need, but is a good tackler. Upgrade. Veikune prefers the OLB position, but will probably be a backup this year. He has good potential. Wimbley obviously needs to step up, and he'll have the opportunity with the upgrades made on the defensive line. Inside linebacker is still a question mark.. and the biggest need on defense.

I'm not a Browns homer, not even a huge fan, but I like what they're doing. They're building solid depth at all positions and will address the game-breakers when they have good depth. Sorry for the long-winded post. Some people need to think about what's going on instead of assuming that since the Browns didn't get a big name that they're failing. A lackluster season was coming no matter what they drafted or signed, so it's good to see that they're building for the future instead of unrealistically trying to win now. If you expected playoffs this year, you need to watch more football.

EDIT: I got a position/player mixed up.. I thought Barton was an OLB when I made this. He's not. So that means the Browns did better in the draft/FA than I originally thought. I thought ILB was a question mark when it was addressed with the signing of Barton.

YAAAWWWNNN is such a shitty thing to say after this draft. We got 8 draft picks and 3 other additions. Are you kidding me with that shit, look at all the championship teams, they have a complete team with depth. Can you not see what is happening in front of you, Stallworth jail, replaced him with Robiskie for this season, Mack was the best center available, ummm check we needed that too. O wait whats that we got another good WR from Georgia who was their number 1 WR, he also he helped his QB get Drafted #1 this year. We address the safety spot with the trade and get a DE and a backup QB, and a new LB. Hope this clears it up for ya.

Some people don't understand the game Cam...unless you draft runningbacks or qb's early, they think the draft sucked.

Much the same as some people think all movies suck unless there is some sort of monster at the center of the plot.

Some people may assume that since they've never heard of a guy that he can't be any good or contribute. Last year, Eric Mangini spent his fourth round draft pick on a CB Dwight Lowery. I had never heard of this dude. This guy started 10 games for the Jets last year. He came up with big play after big play.

If there's one thing I trust, it's his eye for talent. Yes, there have been some misses (Schlegel) or some incompletes (Gholston) but he's also been successful (Mangold, Ferguson, Revis, Washington, Keller, etc).

Get over it. Kokinis and Mangini did a lot of work. Let the play on the field decide. Sorry it isn't sexy enough for you.

You can spin this in a hundred different way's....

Any time you start with that it proves that even you don't fully believe in what you're saying. Starting on the defensive is no way to make any kind of argument.

Draft was solid - not spectacular - which is a GOOD thing.

Ok, I don't want to be "that guy." But, then again, who am I kidding? I am that guy. I warned you all about this 3 months ago. This draft is, in my opinion, exactly what the Browns needed to do.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php...t=0&start=0

Aside from over-valuing Everette Brown (as many of us did), I'm pretty comfortable with my original take on it. According to reports, Alex Mack was the player that the Browns targeted from the get-go, and he probably should've been. They may have taken him 3 or 4 picks too early, but that's where they were. And, it kept them ahead of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Buffalo who had all worked him out in the days leading up to the draft.

Now whether or not you agree that the Browns should've been targeting Alex Mack is another question. But you can't argue with a front office that finds their guy and picks up 2 starters and 3 extra draft picks on their way to get him.

The thing that baffles me is all of this clamor for Rey Maualuga. Rey's an intriguing guy, but what were the Browns going to do with him?

According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Browns had three "untouchable" players going into the offseason: Joe Thomas, D'Qwell Jackson, and Josh Cribbs. So, once the Browns signed Eric Barton to play the Ted linebacker spot, ILB was no longer a hot position of need heading into the draft.

Look at the position the Browns were in Saturday evening when round 2 rolled around. If you just compare Brian Robiskie to Rey Maualuga, it's really easy. You draft Robiskie. Brian Robiskie is the Browns #2 receiver today... and I mean right now. He's your X, on day 1. He comes pre-packaged ready to play. Maualuga... eh, well... special teams, maybe he pushes Barton for playing time, but he's not going to start. Maybe he finds a niche as a nickel backer, if he can wrest that job away from Leon Williams. But how much better are you for it?

While I appreciate building for the future, and all of that Quadrant 2 thinking for you Covey disciples out there, we have to keep in mind that the Browns have to play sixteen games starting this September.

Had Clay Matthews been there at 36... maybe, the conversation is a bit different. But I'm not sure it doesn't end up the same way. But with only Conner Barwin on the board (who the Browns were NOT interested in), and David Vekuine (who would likely be there throughout Round 2) at that DE/OLB position, linebacker was out of the picture.

Now, the McCoy/Robiskie thing is a bit tougher to reason through... but not too tough. Really, it hinges on what Mangini thinks of the two backs he has on the roster right now. The Mangini (Belichick actually) 2 back system is already present in Cleveland. It's likely that Jamal Lewis will see his touches reduced, or at least more selective. Jerome Harrison will almost surely see his carries (and catches) increase dramatically... which also leads me to believe that Derek Anderson won't be running this offense, but that's another post for another thread.

Anyway, my point is, the Browns need to look for Lewis' successor, not Harrison's replacement. Which is why McCoy was not on the Browns' radar... and that year in prep school, and that 11 on the Wonderlic didn't help.

I've been told by people that I believe to know these sorts of things, that the Browns were working overnight to package picks to move up into Round 3 to get Shonn Greene out of Iowa But he came off way too early, nixing the deal. Secondarily, there was some discussion about packaging 6th round picks to get up into the 5th for Andre Brown (NC State), but, he was plucked late in the 4th.

Davis, was more of an availability pick. But, that said, on most boards he carried much better than a 6th round grade.

So, the Browns spent Sunday gathering up secondary depth and a special teamer, and took a flyer on a running back who has some skills. But look at that day one. Name one other team that went into Draft Weekend with the kind of needs that the Browns did and came away with 4 starters, a package pass rusher, and a solid competitor for the slot receiver position.

That's a pretty good weekend as far as I can tell.

-jj

Guest Aloysius
Ok, I don't want to be "that guy." But, then again, who am I kidding? I am that guy. I warned you all about this 3 months ago. This draft is, in my opinion, exactly what the Browns needed to do.

Aside from over-valuing Everette Brown (as many of us did), I'm pretty comfortable with my original take on it.

Looking back on this draft, wouldn't you say that the reports from places like theOBR and others seems to suggest that the Browns felt that, contra your take, Curry was the guy to take at #5? Or that the lack of interest in Maualuga from 3-4 teams suggests they didn't think he was a good fit for the version of it Belichick & his former assistants run?

If the Browns see Curry as an ILB, the "we've already got Barton" argument didn't seem to apply to him. If that's the case, why would it apply to Maualuga?

I've been told by people that I believe to know these sorts of things, that the Browns were working overnight to package picks to move up into Round 3 to get Shonn Greene out of Iowa But he came off way too early, nixing the deal. Secondarily, there was some discussion about packaging 6th round picks to get up into the 5th for Andre Brown (NC State), but, he was plucked late in the 4th.

Man, I wish that had worked out. I love Brown's game; he'll be a great replacement for Derrick Ward, provided his Ward-like durability issues don't keep him off the field.

Agree with some of what you said JJ ...two things !st on Rey...you stated"three "untouchable" players going into the offseason: Joe Thomas, D'Qwell Jackson, and Josh Cribbs." That to me is dependant on your view of DQwell...I think he doesn't not belong in a 3-4 and gets swallowed up in traffic, isn't impactful at the line of scrimmage, horrible blitzer and with Shaun Rogers ahead of you is unexcusable....so thats why I clamored for Rey at #36...we will regret it ......second....Clint Sintim was there and better the Veikune imo... was a stretch to take a potential Non- Starter in Second...we aren't the patriots and can't afford such luxuries... JMO

I'll call your that guy-ness and raise you a little more dickishness.

Looking back on this draft, wouldn't you say that the reports from places like theOBR and others seems to suggest that the Browns felt that, contra your take, Curry was the guy to take at #5? Or that the lack of interest in Maualuga from 3-4 teams suggests they didn't think he was a good fit for the version of it Belichick & his former assistants run?

And because I don't get you debate you often, I'll also hassle you about our disagreement over Larry English and Michael Johnson being top flight 3-4 OLB prospects.

We won't really know until these guys get on the field, but it seems like I won a few small victories on those ones (or at least I'd like to think that).

Man, I wish that had worked out. I love Brown's game; he'll be a great replacement for Derrick Ward, provided his Ward-like durability issues don't keep him off the field.

Yeah, even with the Browns being high on him, I still wonder if a 3-4 team could really get top 10 value out of Curry, though. He's going to be a stud in Seattle. That rollover 4-3 that they play will give him all kinds of opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the Defensive Rookie of the Year next season in that system.

Maualuga is a mike backer pure and simple. I think a lot of the 3-4 doubted if he could play in such a disciplined environment. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Johnson, I thought was appropriate, going where he did... albeit, I thought he could go a bit earlier, but he's project to be sure.

And perhaps this is me rationalizing my own opinion, but I think that English was a real reach at 16. With Ayers and Matthews still on the board, I really think you're asking a lot of a MAC player who doesn't really have a dazzling physique. He is skilled, but he's going to have to get stronger. And he's going to have to make a big adjustment.

I thought you'd be after my opinion on Raji. I still think he's got a long way to go to be a legit NT in the NFL. But I think I'm the only one. That 2-gap zero technique is such a tricky position to play, it's hard for anyone to make the transitions, particularly if you're a little on the short side.

-jj

Guest Aloysius
Had Clay Matthews been there at 36... maybe, the conversation is a bit different. But I'm not sure it doesn't end up the same way. But with only Conner Barwin on the board (who the Browns were NOT interested in), and David Vekuine (who would likely be there throughout Round 2) at that DE/OLB position, linebacker was out of the picture.

The Browns met with Barwin a week before the draft, so there must have been some interest there. But his strength issues seem to make him a poor fit for SOLB, whereas Veikune is a much better fit.

Agree with some of what you said JJ ...two things !st on Rey...you stated"three "untouchable" players going into the offseason: Joe Thomas, D'Qwell Jackson, and Josh Cribbs." That to me is dependant on your view of DQwell...I think he doesn't not belong in a 3-4 and gets swallowed up in traffic, isn't impactful at the line of scrimmage, horrible blitzer and with Shaun Rogers ahead of you is unexcusable....so thats why I clamored for Rey at #36...we will regret it ......second....Clint Sintim was there and better the Veikune imo... was a stretch to take a potential Non- Starter in Second...we aren't the patriots and can't afford such luxuries... JMO

Right or wrong, Sintim and Veikune have similar measurables. They're about the same size, both run in the 4.75 - 4.80 range. They were both productive pass rushers. The difference, and there's really no debating this, is that Veikune is a much brighter guy.

Now, I don't know if that makes you a better football player (that is up for debate), but it doesn't hurt. And all things being equal, if I was going to run a defense the way Mangini has in the past, I'll go with the smarter fella.

And on D'Qwell Jackson... he was better last year with a few extra pounds (his playing weight in '08 was 240lbs. vs. 225 in '07). And, I think you're going to see a much different D'Qwell with a legitimate Ted backer on the strong side. Eric Barton is a smart, physical ballplayer. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what the Browns get out of Jackson.

-jj

The Browns met with Barwin a week before the draft, so there must have been some interest there. But his strength issues seem to make him a poor fit for SOLB, whereas Veikune is a much better fit.

Something went wrong there. I have no idea what it was. But he kind of got the Michael Crabtree treatment on the way out the door. There was some rattling that something just wasn't right.

-jj

Guest Aloysius
I thought you'd be after my opinion on Raji. I still think he's got a long way to go to be a legit NT in the NFL. But I think I'm the only one. That 2-gap zero technique is such a tricky position to play, it's hard for anyone to make the transitions, particularly if you're a little on the short side.

lol. No, I was actually kinda with you there. Like him a lot more in a 4-3, where he can continue to penetrate & play the ball. But I can see why the Packers took him, especially when they're almost completely bereft of legit 3-4 d-linemen.

Aside from over-valuing Everette Brown (as many of us did), I'm pretty comfortable with my original take on it. According to reports, Alex Mack was the player that the Browns targeted from the get-go, and he probably should've been. They may have taken him 3 or 4 picks too early, but that's where they were. And, it kept them ahead of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Buffalo who had all worked him out in the days leading up to the draft.

Now whether or not you agree that the Browns should've been targeting Alex Mack is another question. But you can't argue with a front office that finds their guy and picks up 2 starters and 3 extra draft picks on their way to get him.

The thing that baffles me is all of this clamor for Rey Maualuga. Rey's an intriguing guy, but what were the Browns going to do with him?

According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Browns had three "untouchable" players going into the offseason: Joe Thomas, D'Qwell Jackson, and Josh Cribbs. So, once the Browns signed Eric Barton to play the Ted linebacker spot, ILB was no longer a hot position of need heading into the draft.

Look at the position the Browns were in Saturday evening when round 2 rolled around. If you just compare Brian Robiskie to Rey Maualuga, it's really easy. You draft Robiskie. Brian Robiskie is the Browns #2 receiver today... and I mean right now. He's your X, on day 1. He comes pre-packaged ready to play. Maualuga... eh, well... special teams, maybe he pushes Barton for playing time, but he's not going to start. Maybe he finds a niche as a nickel backer, if he can wrest that job away from Leon Williams. But how much better are you for it?

While I appreciate building for the future, and all of that Quadrant 2 thinking for you Covey disciples out there, we have to keep in mind that the Browns have to play sixteen games starting this September.

Now, the McCoy/Robiskie thing is a bit tougher to reason through... but not too tough. Really, it hinges on what Mangini thinks of the two backs he has on the roster right now. The Mangini (Belichick actually) 2 back system is already present in Cleveland. It's likely that Jamal Lewis will see his touches reduced, or at least more selective. Jerome Harrison will almost surely see his carries (and catches) increase dramatically... which also leads me to believe that Derek Anderson won't be running this offense, but that's another post for another thread.

Anyway, my point is, the Browns need to look for Lewis' successor, not Harrison's replacement. Which is why McCoy was not on the Browns' radar... and that year in prep school, and that 11 on the Wonderlic didn't help.

Davis, was more of an availability pick. But, that said, on most boards he carried much better than a 6th round grade.

So, the Browns spent Sunday gathering up secondary depth and a special teamer, and took a flyer on a running back who has some skills. But look at that day one. Name one other team that went into Draft Weekend with the kind of needs that the Browns did and came away with 4 starters, a package pass rusher, and a solid competitor for the slot receiver position.

That's a pretty good weekend as far as I can tell.

-jj

That is pretty much what I wanted to here from ESPN LOL - but I live in Florida and only get to hear about the Whannhpa Bay BuccaTears, the Cryami Dolphins and the wacksonville Faguars - Hometown Euclid though - goodtimes - Go Brownies!

For the love of god, Shut the hell up and root for another team....How in the hell can you rate this draft without even a regular season game being played. GMP i sure don't see you a GM of anyone except your fantasy football team, and I bet that is mediocre at best. We drafted a bunch of players that might contribute. Do you think that drafting a "potential" superstar would put us over the edge? One thing I have become customed to this board is the constant bitching....Let this play out........Enuff said....

Right or wrong, Sintim and Veikune have similar measurables. They're about the same size, both run in the 4.75 - 4.80 range. They were both productive pass rushers. The difference, and there's really no debating this, is that Veikune is a much brighter guy.

Now, I don't know if that makes you a better football player (that is up for debate), but it doesn't hurt. And all things being equal, if I was going to run a defense the way Mangini has in the past, I'll go with the smarter fella.

And on D'Qwell Jackson... he was better last year with a few extra pounds (his playing weight in '08 was 240lbs. vs. 225 in '07). And, I think you're going to see a much different D'Qwell with a legitimate Ted backer on the strong side. Eric Barton is a smart, physical ballplayer. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what the Browns get out of Jackson.

-jj

I certainly hope so...was high on him when we got him but I still haven't seen him stick anyone at the line of scrimmage....no big hits at all is a disappointment for me from a very high 2nd rounder, whom we traded a decent center for.

Archived