THE BROWNS BOARD

R. Jennings still on the board- will he FALL!!!!

crikes

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, you can't draft for need in these late round...if you're looking for that diamond in the rough you go after best available this late. You don't find a Tom Brady or A. Thomas because you desperately need that possition haha

Wonder what we do with this last pick? I'd like a RB too but we'll see.

i actually dont know what the next pick is, nfl.com says we pick at 195 but the draft says this is the order

those in front of us are:

193-jets

194-Phi

195-Phi

196-STL

197-DAL

anyway i dont see any of those teams taking a back so i hope jennings is the pick

Guest Aloysius

Senior Bowl report on Francies:

Monday Practice Notes: Francies made several nice plays on the ball today and showed a lot of solid cover skills. He was most effective backed off the line of scrimmage and showed a surprisingly good burst to the action.

Tuesday Practice Notes: Once again the San Jose State corner looked good. He flung his body around the field making a number of hits which got a loud rise from the crowd. More importantly he showed good ball skills and the ability to make plays with his back to the ball. No doubt Francies has improved his stock this week.

Wednesday Practice Notes: Francies cooled down today and was not as effective as earlier in the week. He was not beaten bad but gave up more receptions than he had in any of the other practices.

Thursday Practice Notes: Surprisingly Francies seemed to struggle today. He was slow locating the ball and it seemed several days of intense practice was wearing him down.

Analysis: Francies started off well and looked like one of the better cover corners in Mobile. His week sort of fizzled yet Francies still gave scouts plenty to think about and improved his stock. He was physical in every practice and showed better than expected ball skills.

Guest Aloysius
Id like to see Augustas Parrish OT Kent State drafted next. Would be a good pickup.

He struggled with his footwork at the Shrine Game and only scored a 13 on the Wonderlic.

Good call, mz the pussy.

Well, there's the RB, we can all sleep easy now.

I think we had a real solid draft, and picked up some nice parts from the Jets, can't wait for camp...

Zombo

THUNDER!

589619m.jpg

Ht: 5-11 Wt: 207

Position: RB

Date of Birth: 01/01/1986

Class: Senior

High School: Douglass HS

(Atlanta, GA)

College: Clemson

Davis is a solid running back with good quickness and cutback ability. He possesses great vision and patience and is tough between the tackles. He has the speed to get on the edge, but isn’t an open field threat. He has good hands and can contribute in the passing game. He’s been a durable and productive performer during his career. – Chris Steuber, Scout.com

FROM DRAFT DOG:

James_Davis.jpg

Hear that sound? That is Thunder rolling into the 2008 NCAA Football Season. James Davis, the powerful running back for Clemson Tigers and his teammate and ultra quick fellow RB, C.J. Spiller, made up this past college seasons Thunder and Lighting duo. With past duos including 2006/2007’s Darren McFadden and Felix Jones along with 2005’s Reggie Bush and LenDale White, these two student athletes are primed to take every offensive award given out at the end of the year.

What made them formidable also may hold them back as NFL teams will always wonder if either tailback can do it on their own. His durability, toughness and vision make him a threat, but his understanding of the game, especially the blocking aspect, is what separates him from the other running backs of this year’s class. Although he lacks long speed, his ability to see the hole and hit it at the right time is impeccable.

The biggest part of this game he is going to have to work on is the passing elements in this offensive minded game. He has tight hips and although he runs with balance, he needs to be crisper in and out of his breaks. He does not catch with his hands very well. He reminds me of Laurence Maroney, the New England Patriots running back whom had a successful rookie campaign and a collegiate career at the University of Minnesota.

Teams that want to have a running back by committee will be extremely interested in Davis, whom can be a 2 down/short yardage back. With teams such as the Cowboys (Jones and Marion Barber), the Bears (Kevin Jones and Matt Forte), the Jaguars (Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew), etc. using at least 2 backs, Davis should find a home early in the draft process. I doubt he slips past the second round, and should be taken in the late first.

UPDATES

The season did not go well for the much hyped 2009 University of Clemson football team. With the back field of Davis and Spiller and the perceived notion that Cullen Harper was a top tiered QB, the Tigers seemed unstoppable on paper. With offensive line issues and Harper’s inability to lead the team, they spiraled down fast.

Davis still seemed to fight through the adversity, scoring 11 touchdowns and averaging 4.6 yards per carry. Although he was never going to measure in well at the combine, he surprised some by posting a 4.52 second 40 yard dash time (average of his Pro Day and Combine numbers) and a solid 17 on the bench press. Not superstar numbers, but better than expected. Davis will benefit from a zone blocking scheme, to utilize his great cutback/peripheral vision and his quick, rather than fast, feet.

Expect Davis to be a 4th or 5th round steal for some running back depleted team, like the Houston Texans.

COMBINE/PRO DAY

40 Yard Dash – 4.52

Wonderlic Test – 14

Bench Press - 17

AWARDS AND ACCOLADES

ü ACC Rookie-of-the-Year

ü Second-Team Freshman All-American By Rivals.Com And

ü Third-Team By Collegefootballnews.Com

ü Honorable Mention Freshman All-American By Sporting News

ü First-Team Freshman All-ACC By Sporting News

ü Honorable Mention All-ACC By AP/ACSMA

ü Two-Time National Freshman-Of-The-Week By Rivals.Com

ü Three-Time ACC Rookie-Of-The-Week

ü First-Team All-ACC Selection

ü National Offensive Player-Of-The-Week By The Walter Camp Foundation

ü First-Team All-ACC Selection

ü Two-Time Sportsline.Com Player-Of-The-Game

ü Four-Time Coaches Offensive Player-Of-The-Game

ü ABC/Chevrolet Player-Of-The-Game

ü Watch List Selection For The Maxwell Award;

ü Preseason First-Team All-ACC Choice By Athlon, Lindy's, Sporting News, Blue Ribbon, Phil Steele, USA Today, And Street & Smith

ü Preseason Honorable Mention All-American By Street & Smith.

ü First-Team Preseason All-American By Playboy

Well, there's the RB, we can all sleep easy now.

I don't think here's any harm in bringing in a fresh RB, especially a guy like Davis. While he isn't Adrian Peterson, he was a very good complement to the speedy CJ Spiller at Clemson and could be the same for the speedy Harrison here.

I don't think here's any harm in bringing in a fresh RB, especially a guy like Davis. While he isn't Adrian Peterson, he was a very good complement to the speedy CJ Spiller at Clemson and could be the same for the speedy Harrison here.

Oh, I'm very happy with the pick.

I was just mocking the drama over not picking a RB earlier in the sixth round.

Scouting report said this guy could have been a second rounder if he came out last year, but he stayed another year and the offense struggled. He sounds like he has explosiveness and doesn't fumble much ... but isn't interested in pass blocking. Someone has to pass block without Wright around ... maybe that's why they like Heron.

Zombo

Archived