THE BROWNS BOARD

DA Done in Cleveland?

listercat

Anderson's contract is difficult to move with a large amount of guaranteed money.

Probably the only way Anderson would be moved is if another team offered a 1st rounder. -This is assuming Quinn can play better than his Charlie-Frye-like preseason of course. Otherwise DA would be starting again soon.

I don't see them being able to move him and his contract for much.

I'm not sure another team would want to pickup his contract, unless they were acquiring him to start in 2009. So, if he's not here next year, it may be that he was just flat out cut. No idea what's going to happen, obviously.

Guest Masters

Lum, as has been pointed out since they signed him (and reported by Clayton, Mort, and others), CLE can cut him before giving him the roster bonus next year, with out it being an issue. They have the cap room to take the hit come next year.

Anderson's contract is difficult to move with a large amount of guaranteed money.

Probably the only way Anderson would be moved is if another team offered a 1st rounder. -This is assuming Quinn can play better than his Charlie-Frye-like preseason of course. Otherwise DA would be starting again soon.

Not sure about the contract; but I must agree with you that they will pull the plug on Quinn if the wind blows in the wrong direction....this management staff really appears not to have a clue what they are doing

Masters, that has been reported by ESPN, SI.com, Clayton, NFL.com, the Plain Dealer, the Beacon Journale, and the Orange and Brown Report. Only Lum has his own take on it. Like Corey Williams and Donte Stallworth, Derek Anderson is due a bonus on March 1st of $5 mill. If it isn't paid, he's a free agent.

That would mean losing him with no compensation, though. If he's traded, he's still due that bonus by the team that acquires him.

I don't think the Browns could get better than a third round pick right now. All jousting aside, he's the lowest rated starting passer in the NFL and he just became a backup. I don't see any high picks being offered for him.

If that is the case I would simply not pay the bonus....neither his or Stallworth (who is a complete joke at this point)

Lum, as has been pointed out since they signed him (and reported by Clayton, Mort, and others), CLE can cut him before giving him the roster bonus next year, with out it being an issue. They have the cap room to take the hit come next year.

Neither Clayton nor Mort reported that. It was started by Pro Football Talk.com back a couple days after he signed.

Obviously the Cleveland media has run with it, but it's not true. Sure he's got a 5 mil roster bonus, but that doesn't get them out of the guaranteed money. He can't/won't be cut. If you want him gone that bad you'll just have to hope another team offers a 1st rounder.

Neither Clayton nor Mort reported that. It was started by Pro Football Talk.com back a couple days after he signed.

Obviously the Cleveland media has run with it, but it's not true. Sure he's got a 5 mil roster bonus, but that doesn't get them out of the guaranteed money. He can't/won't be cut. If you want him gone that bad you'll just have to hope another team offers a 1st rounder.

Okay, someone come up with a link to back your assertions. I'm more confused than ever.

Guest Masters

No, they all talked about it. Its how his deal breaks down. And as someone just pointed out, what CLE is out is the remaining money against the cap.

The only guaranteed money in the NFL is the money the team hands you. If they ain't given it to you yet, you don't count on it. That is why there is the cap hit. It acts as a punishment to teams for terminating contracts.

Guest Masters

Derek Anderson's three-year contract includes a $5 million roster bonus in the second season.

The deal also includes a $7 million to sign and $1 million in incentives based on performance. Cleveland will have a decision to make after the 2008 season if Anderson plays poorly. It's basically only a one-year deal.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/player ... FL&id=3233

His only hope is Quinn tanking really, REALLY bad... like, horrifically... the point that they have no choice but to try Anderson again.

Most likely, he's gone and we get nothing for him. Teams now we'll have to cut him to avoid the bonus.

I get nothing from the loaded trash bin that I take to the curb every week; but I am glad the city of Columbus always takes it!

Sure he's got a 5 mil roster bonus, but that doesn't get them out of the guaranteed money. He can't/won't be cut. If you want him gone that bad you'll just have to hope another team offers a 1st rounder.

Lumnuts how long you been a fan of the NFL? There are NO guranteed contracts in the NFL. Period. If he is cut/traded before the roster bonus, they (Browns) do not have to honor the contract - because it is NOT guaranteed.

Lumnuts how long you been a fan of the NFL? There are NO guranteed contracts in the NFL. Period. If he is cut/traded before the roster bonus, they (Browns) do not have to honor the contract - because it is NOT guaranteed.

Nope. WRONG.

I just counted 5 posts that all tried to detail out the specs in Anderson's contract. All 5 of the flat skipped over the most important number...the guaranteed money.

Listen BQ fags, I know you don't want to hear it because it means Derek Anderson isn't going anywhere, but 14.5 mil of the 24 million in DA's contract is what is called "guaranteed". Do you know what "guaranteed" means? Is the word "guaranteed" ambiguous in any way?

And for the Retards that think the NFL doesn't have any guaranteed contracts....congratulations on learning how to boot up your computer.

And for the Retards that think the NFL doesn't have any guaranteed contracts....congratulations on learning how to boot up your computer.

There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, douchebag. Maybe 3% of the contracts are guaranteed. And we did not sign DA so that he can handcuff us for $14.5M. If you can some up with something that states that, throw it up here. If not, you're full of shit! Again!

Unlike baseball or basketball, where contracts are binding agreements, a football player's contract is a lopsided thing, heavily favoring team owners. So long as a team wants a player around, he'll get his salary. But if the team cuts him, for whatever reason - including suffering the sort of debilitating injury so common to the sport - his contract goes out the window. Under the collective bargaining agreement with the National Football League Players Association, a team is required to pay an injured player only for the year in which he is hurt. After that, if the team decides he's lost a step, well, contract or no, he's out of luck.

The only thing guaranteed to an NFL player is a signing bonus - not a roster bonus. Because the owners are so conscious of the salary cap, players live in a constant state of anxiety, worried that they'll be cut for "cap reasons" or have their contract renegotiated downward. (It happens all the time.) Indeed, these days players sign contracts they know won't be honored in the latter years; the contract terms are merely a way for the team to manage its cap issues.

What is most surprising about this state of affairs is that the union seems to actually agree with the owners. The argument, as put forth by union officials, is that when a player is cut, the money that would have gone to him doesn't revert back to the owner. Thanks to the salary cap, it reverts to players who are still on the roster. "The question really becomes whether or not the players who can play should get the money," says James W. Quinn, a lawyer with Weil Gotshal & Manges who has represented the players union.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Archived