Jump to content
LondonBrown

Corey Coleman

Recommended Posts

The Gipper    1,173
19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Corey started to emerge today.

Next need to see him grab one in stride and see his broken field game.

I will say this though:

It is highly likely that the Browns will be playing a much better defensive secondary in the Ravens than they faced in the Steelers.  While I think overall the Steelers will be the better team.....the Ravens will have the incrementally better defense.  Particularly in the defensive backfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mudfly    939

Aahaha,,,,,a revisit to the "i told ya so" thread that popped up as soon as Corey had his only good game.....and now, one year later, he has an "ok" game and back it comes....hahahahaha.......oh my......

 

1 good game and 1 ok game,  outta 17ish games aint enough guys.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canton Mike    604
2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Aahaha,,,,,a revisit to the "i told ya so" thread that popped up as soon as Corey had his only good game.....and now, one year later, he has an "ok" game and back it comes....hahahahaha.......oh my......

 

1 good game and 1 ok game,  outta 17ish games aint enough guys.....

Try 11ish games Mud. Ten of those were last year, so now it's time to move on to 2017 & hope the kid has a better & healthier year. He had an OK start yesterday. It's obvious you don't like him, but you ARE still a Browns' Fan, right? Your negativity toward Coleman & Sashi are starting to wear thin.

 

Mike

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alkid3    37

It's game one and it looks like we have something with Kizer throwing him the ball. Of course it's too early for either one of them. But you can't deny they are playing good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canton Mike    604
19 minutes ago, Alkid3 said:

It's game one and it looks like we have something with Kizer throwing him the ball. Of course it's too early for either one of them. But you can't deny they are playing good.

They also played very well together in the 3rd exhibition game. 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tour2ma    1,430
16 hours ago, Mudfly said:

1 good game and 1 ok game,  outta 17ish games aint enough guys.....

True...

Not saying the verdict is in... saying he started making a case for himself. Stay tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jiggins7919    107
16 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Aahaha,,,,,a revisit to the "i told ya so" thread that popped up as soon as Corey had his only good game.....and now, one year later, he has an "ok" game and back it comes....hahahahaha.......oh my......

 

1 good game and 1 ok game,  outta 17ish games aint enough guys.....

 

No, it's not enough to say he's "arrived" or anything, but that catch he made at the goal line, on FOURTH down, when he knew he was gonna get smoked is pretty big time.  Also, that catch he made on that awful low throw across the middle was outstanding.  As I mentioned in another post, if Kizer actually hits him in stride (wouldn't THAT be nice?), Corey goes a LONG way.  (ironically, Kizer's best ball of the day was thrown in stride to Britt, who promptly dropped it and pretty much doomed any chance to win).  

 

The important thing was that Coleman didn't get hurt (thank GOD), and he didn't have any drops (ahem, Britt, Ricardo).  What does Corey need to do to further prove his merit?  Well, he needs to be consistent, that's the main thing.  He also needs to make some plays that go beyond just catching it.  By that I mean Corey needs to "break free" somehow.  He needs to make a catch, make a guy miss, and he needs to turn it up field somehow, some way.  Now I know Antonio Brown is just a freak of a player, and not every team has a guy like that, but Christ...how many 8 yard catches did Brown have that he turned into big yards?  We NEED that from somebody, and it's probably going to be Corey.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasAg1969    593
20 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

 

No, it's not enough to say he's "arrived" or anything, but that catch he made at the goal line, on FOURTH down, when he knew he was gonna get smoked is pretty big time.  Also, that catch he made on that awful low throw across the middle was outstanding.  As I mentioned in another post, if Kizer actually hits him in stride (wouldn't THAT be nice?), Corey goes a LONG way.  (ironically, Kizer's best ball of the day was thrown in stride to Britt, who promptly dropped it and pretty much doomed any chance to win).  

 

The important thing was that Coleman didn't get hurt (thank GOD), and he didn't have any drops (ahem, Britt, Ricardo).  What does Corey need to do to further prove his merit?  Well, he needs to be consistent, that's the main thing.  He also needs to make some plays that go beyond just catching it.  By that I mean Corey needs to "break free" somehow.  He needs to make a catch, make a guy miss, and he needs to turn it up field somehow, some way.  Now I know Antonio Brown is just a freak of a player, and not every team has a guy like that, but Christ...how many 8 yard catches did Brown have that he turned into big yards?  We NEED that from somebody, and it's probably going to be Corey.  

Or Maybe someone kind of like KCs Tyreek Hill. He had the second fastest 200 m time ever in high school which would have placed him 6th in the world in the last olympics.

Or maybe someone else with similar speed like oh, say......................................Travis Benjamin. LOL!!!!:rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boo fagley    138
On 9/11/2017 at 5:20 PM, Mudfly said:

Aahaha,,,,,a revisit to the "i told ya so" thread that popped up as soon as Corey had his only good game.....and now, one year later, he has an "ok" game and back it comes....hahahahaha.......oh my......

 

1 good game and 1 ok game,  outta 17ish games aint enough guys.....

Coleman looked good in pre season too.

If youre the Ravens defense and you have to identify 1 Browns WR to shut down this Sunday, it would have to be Coleman. I agree with Gip, the Steelers secondary is nothing special and the Ravens are likely better here. I look for Baltimore to mix overages and make Kizer go to to his 2nd read. Establishing the run is crucial for the Browns in this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jiggins7919    107

The most glaring wide receiver deficiency (other than the Britt drop, Jesus) came on that long pass to Kasen Williams.  Yes, we all know the pass was far from perfect, but the catch could've been made at the 6 yard line.  I can't think of too many times I've seen an NFL receiver go out of bounds like that when he didn't have to, and Nathan Zegura of our radio show made the comment that Williams went so far out of bounds, that he had to take a step and half the OPPOSITE way just to track the ball.  That's pretty bad, and it's another example of our wide receivers not helping a very young QB.  

Conversely, Coleman is the only guy who DID help out Kizer when balls weren't thrown perfectly.  Now, he needs to stay healthy and he needs to be consistent, but for the first game of the season, I believe fans have to be excited (relieved?).  

As I've mentioned a few times, the biggest aspect missing from Coleman's game is "explosiveness".  He basically has the look of a tiny possession receiver.  Kizer looks for him on crucial downs, and Corey has been coming down with the ball.  What we're NOT seeing are the plays where Corey gets free and picks up chunk yardage.  Remember his college film?  Remember him getting the ball in space and making people look silly as he scooted down the field?  Can anyone think of ONE play where Corey has done anything like that?

Something else I've noticed the past few years is how our team gets burned by "crossing routes", and when the ball is delivered in stride to opposing receivers, they pick up big yards.  Every...single...time we try a crossing route, it's either incomplete or the pass is so inaccurate, our guy catches it and falls down.  Now, we DID have Corey open on a 10 yard slant pattern, and it would've been a huge play but the defender made a good play and grabbed Corey from behind.  We got the 5 yard penalty and the first down, but it really hurt because Corey would've picked up a large gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasAg1969    593
On 9/11/2017 at 11:16 AM, The Gipper said:

I will say this though:

It is highly likely that the Browns will be playing a much better defensive secondary in the Ravens than they faced in the Steelers.  While I think overall the Steelers will be the better team.....the Ravens will have the incrementally better defense.  Particularly in the defensive backfield.

The most impressive secondary I saw this weekend was Minn. Those guys were almost impossible to throw on and when things were completed the hits were unreal (but not cheapshots like Pitt).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tour2ma    1,430
2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The most glaring wide receiver deficiency (other than the Britt drop, Jesus) came on that long pass to Kasen Williams.  Yes, we all know the pass was far from perfect, but the catch could've been made at the 6 yard line.  I can't think of too many times I've seen an NFL receiver go out of bounds like that when he didn't have to,

You may have caught my "apple-a-gee" in another thread, but I was wrong... the pass was catchable. Tough catch as you said, but catchable. Problem I saw is that Williams locked in looking back over over his inside (left) shoulder. He had to either swap to look back over his outside (right) shoulder or do a OBJ-style complete turn to the inside.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned was whether the wind drifted the ball OB. It would make any adjustment harder as did the relatively flat trajectory of such a deep ball. Not a pass you can lob due to the Safety closing, but Kizer tends to over-flatten his throws.

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

 Can anyone think of ONE play where Corey has done anything like that?

No... but I can't think of any situation he's been put in like that. Might have been a bubble screen last year?

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

 Every...single...time we try a crossing route, it's either incomplete or the pass is so inaccurate, our guy catches it and falls down.  Now, we DID have Corey open...

I have seen crosses where Kizer's throws are so low the WR has to go to the ground to collect them. Some of these seem to be due to inaccuracy brought on by acquiring the target late. Other times it seems a simple matter of not being as confident on throws in the middle of the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ghoolie    384

Coleman is a #4 reciever in Pittsburgh, That is is our #1 foretells a shit season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,173
1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Coleman is a #4 reciever in Pittsburgh, That is is our #1 foretells a shit season.

Pittsburgh has a #1 receiver.  Thats about it.  And for one game, it was good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orion    125
9 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The most glaring wide receiver deficiency (other than the Britt drop, Jesus) came on that long pass to Kasen Williams.  Yes, we all know the pass was far from perfect, but the catch could've been made at the 6 yard line.

Kizer threw the ball OB.  It looked to me that he threw it where his brain said it had to be thrown (away from the defender).  - A learning experience?

 What we're NOT seeing are the plays where Corey gets free and picks up chunk yardage.  Remember his college film?

College is different.  Yeah, in college he was running free.  (Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore) :)

 

This is year two for Coleman.  In theory, we should see a jump in his play this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PoeticG    182

Coleman will make a HUGE jump once Gordon arrives! There is nothing more boosting than a true #1 to take the attention away from our #2.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orion    125
On 9/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

This. It always confuses me. I'm slow and admit it and it takes me too much time to process and put together that what l'm reading isn't current or pertinent. Just start a new thread please. 

On the Browns Board page with all of the threads listed, there's a STAR next to the thread.  Click on the star and it'll take you to the next unread post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D Bone    553

The hit he took late will keep him out eleventeen months I'm guessing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieHardBrownsFan    1,399
On 9/13/2017 at 6:11 PM, PoeticG said:

Coleman will make a HUGE jump once Gordon arrives! There is nothing more boosting than a true #1 to take the attention away from our #2.

We need Trent back also, our running game sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BaconHound    94

If he broke his hand did the Browns lose anything?  He was a terrible draft pick and they aren't going to pay him after his rookie deal is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×