THE BROWNS BOARD

Corey Coleman

LondonBrown

How does a Browns season ticket holder not know it's spelled Shelton? I suppose that's better than calling him the big fat Samoan.

Today's game was awesome. You guys are too focused on results. Focus on the process. Don't worry about winning a championship. Just focus on being a champion.

As the commentator on the broadcast said today: our OL is in that 14-18 range. That's with 3 guys in their first three years in the league.

As Zombo said (and is clearly evident): Coleman is a stud. So is Nassib.

As Hoorta said: Shelton looks great.

As I said: Kindred is going to be the baddest motherfer in the league.

Also, learn the name Isaiah Crowell and throw them pizza lunchables on the field when you see my boy run.

I second what Zombo said about "the rest."

Names won't auto correct, and FWIW, about 50 miles from Dayton right across the Indiana state line there's Sheldon Fireworks- the Worlds largest. :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not leave out our LB Kirksey. He's getting better. I love defense and we just held them to 80 yds. rushing. We are just one great pass rusher away (hint, hint) from being excellent in all phases of D. More pressure needed much faster. We're getting there one step and one player at a time.

BTW TOP was almost even this week 31 to 29 min.

I am excited as hell about this team. With a decent QB like McCown this team can win games and be exciting. That is barring continual ass rape by the refs

the game is clearly fixed, steered by refs and decided with penalties when close. one sided, hypocritical biased calls. clearly. seems there must always be a whipping boy and it's been the Browns forever.

talent can't ever overcome that. perfect mistake free play just doesn't exist.

there's just too much money involved in betting to effectively eliminate corruption from the game.

considering this, the real question is how do you convert a team from the Washington Generals into ref supported darlings?

until RG3 went down, Hue's preference of a racial equality approach showed a lot of promise...just saying.

Here's what I really like about Corey's game:

He goes up and fights for the ball and has terrific timing. His first touchdown catch was VERY iffy, and I'm guessing he wasn't completely in. We somehow lucked out and didn't have another camera angle, but I'll take it. If I'm nitpicking, I'd say he could've done a better job with his feet. He had time to drag and secure the ball. Again, I'm NITPICKING, but in the pros, sometimes a matter of dragging a foot can mean the difference.

I also like that red zone touchdown call...a LOT. You want to play off Corey? Well, go right ahead. This touchdown was actually set up by the FIRST one. If you watch the first touchdown, you'll see Coleman's defender try to jam him up, but completely miss. You miss on Corey, and he's right by you. Every time. So on the next one, the guy gives Corey a little cushion. Tackling Coleman in the open field does NOT look like fun.

I also want to know what the refs saw when they overturned his catch along the sidelines where they said he went out of bounds before the catch. I thought they needed indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Unless the refs had a viewpoint from a camera shot that they did not show on TV, I saw nothing that would have overturned that call. Quite the opposite, the catch should have been confirmed.

even though he's still catching with his body).....So, hopefully he builds off this performance and starts stringing some good games together, w/o the drops and bone head penalties.....

Michael Irvin and many others say there is nothing wrong with body catches if the player can catch with his hands--which Coleman can--and that in traffic it's often even preferable. he's good at it, fuck it. FWIW Antonio Brown is a habitual bodycatcher.

i'll add stay in bounds and drag his toes deliberately to insure the refs cannot deny it is a catch.

Obviously alot of things went against the team this week, mostly refs letting a more veteran team slide on tough (and in some cases obvious calls) while nailing the younger Browns.

i doubt it's a vet vs younger thing, more like when the mafia extorts a business for a protection tax. that game was a message to Haslam to open his wallet and deposit some grip into the "winner's" fund.

Bottom line is he tossed the ball, and it hit the opponent. That is simply the fact. If he doesn't let the ball out of his hand, then the ref can't make the bad/terrible/tough/good call.

Again, hopefully our coaching staff doesn't just make excuses for the kid, and instead they coach him up so he doesn't put his team in a bad spot again. I think he's going to make the transition to WR just fine, and will be a good one if he's coachable on all aspects, including this one.

i hope he never hands another ball to a ref ever again and just drops it on the ground. fuck those part time sellout assholes. tossing it to them is a courtesy. i wish there wasn't fallout from them and the team could never flip them a ball again...you just can't fight city hall.

i wonder how poorly a team would fare without cheating? basically without holds or DB seatbelts and armbars, WRs pushing off etc.

could a team play well enough to totally remove the refs from the game? play so legally teamwide you overcome any call and force the refs to call something soooo outrageous it risks exposing bias internationally?

sounds impossible.

Here's what I really like about Corey's game:

He goes up and fights for the ball and has terrific timing. His first touchdown catch was VERY iffy, and I'm guessing he wasn't completely in. We somehow lucked out and didn't have another camera angle, but I'll take it. If I'm nitpicking, I'd say he could've done a better job with his feet. He had time to drag and secure the ball. Again, I'm NITPICKING, but in the pros, sometimes a matter of dragging a foot can mean the difference.

I also like that red zone touchdown call...a LOT. You want to play off Corey? Well, go right ahead. This touchdown was actually set up by the FIRST one. If you watch the first touchdown, you'll see Coleman's defender try to jam him up, but completely miss. You miss on Corey, and he's right by you. Every time. So on the next one, the guy gives Corey a little cushion. Tackling Coleman in the open field does NOT look like fun.

agree on the toe drags. it matters and that TD catch looked like it could have gone either way.

my favorite intangible of his is his ability to track the ball is elite. rain, sleet, snow, hail, and under lights you need it. you can't coach it and not everyone has it. WR Little and TE Dray did not for example.

one on one with a DB in open space Coleman gets past them probably 6/10 times now. he has the ability to be a 8/10,9/10 level player. tough. lands on the ball carrying a defender and gets up and walks away. unlike many i have seen who lay on the ground in a crumpled pile fetal position. we will be attempting to extend his contract early and locking this guy up for a while.

CC, TP, and JG as a WR core is a daydream that's about to become a reality for years to come. simply catching his TD's in bounds clearer and learning the playbook better are really good problems for a rookie WR to have. he's way ahead of the rookie WR curve.

I also want to know what the refs saw when they overturned his catch along the sidelines where they said he went out of bounds before the catch. I thought they needed indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Unless the refs had a viewpoint from a camera shot that they did not show on TV, I saw nothing that would have overturned that call. Quite the opposite, the catch should have been confirmed.

i agree. it's why they never scored again.

the game appears very controllable through reffing when the players are inconsistent at executing.

i have this theory. it involves two or more people conspiring to...

• 11 months later...

I would like to give a shout out to Corey Coleman for today's game against the Steelers.

I know his numbers aren't huge or anything...but he caught the balls.

And that was a very physical TD reception he made!  Close quarters, got POUNDED right in the head (and body) RIGHT after getting the ball. He held on and got the TD!  He earned a little respect in my book right there.

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Coleman is a #4 receiver in Pittsburgh. He is nothing remarkable.

And....to do what they often do in political reporting:  Correct errors and falsities:   An uninjured Coleman is likely the #2 WR for the Steelers.

Has he proven anything completely? Not yet.  But talent wise, he would be #2.

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Corey started to emerge today.

Next need to see him grab one in stride and see his broken field game.

I will say this though:

It is highly likely that the Browns will be playing a much better defensive secondary in the Ravens than they faced in the Steelers.  While I think overall the Steelers will be the better team.....the Ravens will have the incrementally better defense.  Particularly in the defensive backfield.

Aahaha,,,,,a revisit to the "i told ya so" thread that popped up as soon as Corey had his only good game.....and now, one year later, he has an "ok" game and back it comes....hahahahaha.......oh my......

1 good game and 1 ok game,  outta 17ish games aint enough guys.....

2 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Aahaha,,,,,a revisit to the "i told ya so" thread that popped up as soon as Corey had his only good game.....and now, one year later, he has an "ok" game and back it comes....hahahahaha.......oh my......

Try 11ish games Mud. Ten of those were last year, so now it's time to move on to 2017 & hope the kid has a better & healthier year. He had an OK start yesterday. It's obvious you don't like him, but you ARE still a Browns' Fan, right? Your negativity toward Coleman & Sashi are starting to wear thin.

Mike

19 minutes ago, Alkid3 said:

It's game one and it looks like we have something with Kizer throwing him the ball. Of course it's too early for either one of them. But you can't deny they are playing good.

They also played very well together in the 3rd exhibition game. 

Mike

16 hours ago, Mudfly said:

True...

Not saying the verdict is in... saying he started making a case for himself. Stay tuned...

16 hours ago, Mudfly said:

No, it's not enough to say he's "arrived" or anything, but that catch he made at the goal line, on FOURTH down, when he knew he was gonna get smoked is pretty big time.  Also, that catch he made on that awful low throw across the middle was outstanding.  As I mentioned in another post, if Kizer actually hits him in stride (wouldn't THAT be nice?), Corey goes a LONG way.  (ironically, Kizer's best ball of the day was thrown in stride to Britt, who promptly dropped it and pretty much doomed any chance to win).  

The important thing was that Coleman didn't get hurt (thank GOD), and he didn't have any drops (ahem, Britt, Ricardo).  What does Corey need to do to further prove his merit?  Well, he needs to be consistent, that's the main thing.  He also needs to make some plays that go beyond just catching it.  By that I mean Corey needs to "break free" somehow.  He needs to make a catch, make a guy miss, and he needs to turn it up field somehow, some way.  Now I know Antonio Brown is just a freak of a player, and not every team has a guy like that, but Christ...how many 8 yard catches did Brown have that he turned into big yards?  We NEED that from somebody, and it's probably going to be Corey.  

20 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

No, it's not enough to say he's "arrived" or anything, but that catch he made at the goal line, on FOURTH down, when he knew he was gonna get smoked is pretty big time.  Also, that catch he made on that awful low throw across the middle was outstanding.  As I mentioned in another post, if Kizer actually hits him in stride (wouldn't THAT be nice?), Corey goes a LONG way.  (ironically, Kizer's best ball of the day was thrown in stride to Britt, who promptly dropped it and pretty much doomed any chance to win).  

The important thing was that Coleman didn't get hurt (thank GOD), and he didn't have any drops (ahem, Britt, Ricardo).  What does Corey need to do to further prove his merit?  Well, he needs to be consistent, that's the main thing.  He also needs to make some plays that go beyond just catching it.  By that I mean Corey needs to "break free" somehow.  He needs to make a catch, make a guy miss, and he needs to turn it up field somehow, some way.  Now I know Antonio Brown is just a freak of a player, and not every team has a guy like that, but Christ...how many 8 yard catches did Brown have that he turned into big yards?  We NEED that from somebody, and it's probably going to be Corey.  

Or Maybe someone kind of like KCs Tyreek Hill. He had the second fastest 200 m time ever in high school which would have placed him 6th in the world in the last olympics.

Or maybe someone else with similar speed like oh, say......................................Travis Benjamin. LOL!!!!:rolleyes:

The most glaring wide receiver deficiency (other than the Britt drop, Jesus) came on that long pass to Kasen Williams.  Yes, we all know the pass was far from perfect, but the catch could've been made at the 6 yard line.  I can't think of too many times I've seen an NFL receiver go out of bounds like that when he didn't have to, and Nathan Zegura of our radio show made the comment that Williams went so far out of bounds, that he had to take a step and half the OPPOSITE way just to track the ball.  That's pretty bad, and it's another example of our wide receivers not helping a very young QB.  

Conversely, Coleman is the only guy who DID help out Kizer when balls weren't thrown perfectly.  Now, he needs to stay healthy and he needs to be consistent, but for the first game of the season, I believe fans have to be excited (relieved?).  

As I've mentioned a few times, the biggest aspect missing from Coleman's game is "explosiveness".  He basically has the look of a tiny possession receiver.  Kizer looks for him on crucial downs, and Corey has been coming down with the ball.  What we're NOT seeing are the plays where Corey gets free and picks up chunk yardage.  Remember his college film?  Remember him getting the ball in space and making people look silly as he scooted down the field?  Can anyone think of ONE play where Corey has done anything like that?

Something else I've noticed the past few years is how our team gets burned by "crossing routes", and when the ball is delivered in stride to opposing receivers, they pick up big yards.  Every...single...time we try a crossing route, it's either incomplete or the pass is so inaccurate, our guy catches it and falls down.  Now, we DID have Corey open on a 10 yard slant pattern, and it would've been a huge play but the defender made a good play and grabbed Corey from behind.  We got the 5 yard penalty and the first down, but it really hurt because Corey would've picked up a large gain.

On 9/11/2017 at 11:16 AM, The Gipper said:

I will say this though:

It is highly likely that the Browns will be playing a much better defensive secondary in the Ravens than they faced in the Steelers.  While I think overall the Steelers will be the better team.....the Ravens will have the incrementally better defense.  Particularly in the defensive backfield.

The most impressive secondary I saw this weekend was Minn. Those guys were almost impossible to throw on and when things were completed the hits were unreal (but not cheapshots like Pitt).

Archived