THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Eagles Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

Rg made alot of good throws that were dropped and his int was off a tip.

You really need to find a cutdown of all RG's throws and watch it. He was late on virtually every one... especially those over the middle which included the tipped INT which was thrown almost a yard behind his WR.

He's in serious need of a processor upgrade.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really need to find a cutdown of all RG's throws and watch it. He was late on virtually every one... especially those over the middle which included the tipped INT which was thrown almost a yard behind his WR.

I was really hoping to see something from him, leading a receiver down the field, a little touch here and there, but sadly nope. The two big plays were because 1) Pryor is a big dude (and got away with a little OPI that'll be called in 5 years) and 2) none of the eagles DBs covering coleman actually made a play on the ball. He overthrew Hawkins on a TD, on a 4th down, and the interception is squarely on him - it was so far behind coleman, that the DB coleman had a yard on reached back his hand to tip it.

Still, it's just one game and it's not like we have Tom Brady waiting in the wings. Hopefully more time to develop some rhythm with his receivers will do the world of good.

1. I honestly just don't understand what you guys expected this year. Like it or not, the regime has a plan. That plan included sucking nuts this year, churning the roster with young draft players and seeing who will stick. It's going to be the same thing next year as well to some degree.

For you guys complaining about Coleman, am I the only guy who saw him flag down a poorly thrown ball and make a play in triple coverage?

Also, the defense was on the field for almost 40 minutes today. ANY defense who gets thrown out there for that long is going to give up yards.

Relax people-we knew the Browns were gonna be bottom feeders even if you didn't want to admit it publicly.

1. There it is... "the plan". The difference next year is that some players will have stuck.

I saw him field that "punt"... only thing missing was the fair catch...

Also any defense out there that long is giving up a lot of first downs... just sayin'...

There are actually quite a few that did not know this... publicly or privately. Easy to spot them as most are sporting orange neck braces...

poor little gumhead...he thought that fake punt was a great call...heheheheee...fucking moron thinks our oline is good...what a football moron .....

Don't worry about gumby... he knows football and his analyses show it. Whereas all you show is your ass...

Vintage Jim Schwartz. He might be one of the very best in the league at creating pressure with four man fronts and getting creative with as little blitzing as possible.

He was very ready for a lot of the tells on our formations, personnel groupings and patterns. To the point where defenders early on are just watching RG3's eyes and falling off assignments very early.

RG's stare downs were almost as epic as his lack of resolve in his throws. He seemed to me to be "aiming" the ball all day... and that is a sign of uncertainty.

I love Schwartz's move of Connor Barwin to DE. His speed sack around JoeT looked to be textbook.

1. There it is... "the plan". The difference next year is that some players will have stuck.
  2. I saw him field that "punt"... only thing missing was the fair catch...
  3. Also any defense out there that long is giving up a lot of first downs... just sayin'...
  4. There are actually quite a few that did not know this... publicly or privately. Easy to spot them as most are sporting orange neck braces...

2. I still give Coleman credit for playing the ball well. I get it, it's not going to be on a highlight reel but it's a lot better than what we've seen from Browns WR's the past few years.

3. True, but I do think it's a "little column A, little column B" argument. They were getting gashed, but it's easier to get gashed when you are tired from being on the field 3/4 of the game. Don't get me wrong, the defense isn't good at all. But I'd like to see what the damage looks like if the Browns could at least get that to close to even in terms of time on the field.

1. Our run game actually wasn't horrible - 15 rushes from Duke and Crow for 84 yards, (5.6 ypc), and RG3 picked up good yards on the ground. Up
  2. I *hope* that by about game 6 or 7, we start to actually look like a team that has what it takes to play in this league, otherwise we'll see a lot of trading back in next year's draft and picking up a lot more players.
  1. Yeah... it was horrible. Crow got 40 of his yards on 3 carries in the last minute of the game. So in non-garbage time we had 12 rushes for 44 yds.
  2. And that's about the right time frame. Both Gordon and Armonty should be settled in by then, some of the shine should be off the rookies.

At one time they were Lawson stores.....back in the days of real Cleveland Browns football and redcap beer.

lol... I worked at a Lawson's at Pearl and York intersection... and later for one on State Road. I miss their French Onion Chip Dip...

1. Yeah... it was horrible. Crow got 40 of his yards on 3 carries in the last minute of the game. So in non-garbage time we had 12 rushes for 44 yds.

12 runs for 44 yards is still a better YPC than Ryan 'had a good day' Matthews managed. Not outstanding, but not horrible, and that's all I said.

2. I still give Coleman credit for playing the ball well. I get it, it's not going to be on a highlight reel but it's a lot better than what we've seen from Browns WR's the past few years.

3. True, but I do think it's a "little column A, little column B" argument. They were getting gashed, but it's easier to get gashed when you are tired from being on the field 3/4 of the game. Don't get me wrong, the defense isn't good at all. But I'd like to see what the damage looks like if the Browns could at least get that to close to even in terms of time on the field.

Agree... more a comment on the throw (if you can call it that) than the catch.

Also agree... just pointing out that there was another significant factor...

Browns "drives" were:

1. 3 and out / 2. 3 and out / 3. 4 and out (counting the fake punt) / 4. 9 and TD / 5. 7 and INT / 6. 4 and Halftime

7. 4 and FG / 8. 1 and Safety / 9. 5 and out / 10. 3 and out/ 11. 3 and out / 12. 3 and out / 13. 3 and end of game

Eagles drives were:

1. 10 and TD / 2. 7 and out / 3. 5 and missed FG / 4. 4 and FG / 5. 3 and out / 6. 10 and FG

7. 7 and out / 8. 9 and TD / 9. 6 and out / 10. 4 and out / 11. 10 and out / 12. 6 and TD

Don't worry about gumby... he knows football and his analyses show it. Whereas all you show is your ass...

RG's stare downs were almost as epic as his lack of resolve in his throws. He seemed to me to be "aiming" the ball all day... and that is a sign of uncertainty.

I love Schwartz's move of Connor Barwin to DE. His speed sack around JoeT looked to be textbook.

Watched all of Roberts throws this morning. Aiming is exactly right. Especially on the double under that got Hawk open.

The killer to me was locking onto his target pre snap and missing a couple wide open reads.

2. And that's about the right time frame. Both Gordon and Armonty should be settled in by then, some of the shine should be off the rookies.

lol... I worked at a Lawson's at Pearl and York intersection... and later for one on State Road. I miss their French Onion Chip Dip...

Ups and Downs. Plenty of downs. Let's see:

Rough first quarter. No pressure on the rookie QB, and pass D non existent. Down

Good response and adjustments in the second quarter from the D. Up

A couple of big plays on O in that second quarter. Up.

Still went in at the half down 13-7. Down.

Came out quite strong after the half with a good drive, putting points on the board, then got the stop immediately and got the ball back. We looked like a mediocre football team... Biggest Up.

Cam Erving happened. Down.

Our D played worse and worse afterwards. Down

Our O couldn't get anything going. Down

We were stuck with poor field position all day, with our O going 3 and out, or 5 and out, and our D not doing the same to them. Down

Our run game actually wasn't horrible - 15 rushes from Duke and Crow for 84 yards, (5.6 ypc), and RG3 picked up good yards on the ground. Up

Our passing game was horrible. Two big plays to Pryor and Coleman, combined for 102 yards. Outside of that, RG3 was 10-24, for 88 yards. Biggest down

Carl Nassib and Ogbah showed up, look like they will be contributors. Up

Our DL didn't look much, and we let them get off some big runs, particularly Barner. Down

Our pass D was horrible. Literally abysmal. We will get absolutely shredded, and that's *if* Haden can stay healthy. If not, look out for opposition offenses not even having to take advantage of our leaky run D. Down.

No stupid penalties - 12 men on the field, illegal formation etc. Well, one, Pryor lining up 6 inches too far forward - I'll let him off that if he learns from it. Up

Tackling. Or rather, lack of. A lot of times we were in position to make a tackle (up!) but didn't wrap up. It looks like we have about 4 players who can tackle properly and they're DBs and ILBs. Down

It's going to be a long season, folks. Our pass D is starting off bad, outside of about 20 minutes (second quarter and early third). Our pas O is worse at the moment. Our run game is ok, actually, but that won't last if we can't get something going through the air.

I *hope* that by about game 6 or 7, we start to actually look like a team that has what it takes to play in this league, otherwise we'll see a lot of trading back in next year's draft and picking up a lot more players.

OK, you saved me typing up my analysis of the game. Only disagreement- as Tour pointed out, a lot of those rushing yards came in garbage time. 44 before that. :(

Guys, I just hate this crap. I HATE IT.

In a previous post I made last week, I stated that we would lose this game because "It just makes too much sense." The Browns losing to the QB that "wasn't good enough" and wouldn't be "in the top 20" that we could've drafted made too much sense. It would become a fantastic story line, and one that would make the sporting world laugh at us hysterically. Boy, was I right. Not only did we lose, but we lost in glorious fashion. Our QB looked terrible. Even the two long balls were awful. Pryor pushed off, and Coleman's ball was thrown into triple coverage. Everyone in the universe knew that we'd kick a FG after Coleman's catch, and we should've kicked a FG after Pryor's but got saved by pass interference.

Carson Wentz will have his fair share of struggles this year, as virtually all rookies do. But here's the thing, if Wentz turns into viable starting QB, or god forbid a SUPERSTAR, then our front office is doomed. I'm telling you now, if we blew the chance at getting a franchise QB, our management team is gone. Now, this is ONE GAME, and nobody is anointing Wentz the next Big Ben. But here's what I can tell you: I've never, and I mean NEVER heard of a rookie QB missing the last 3 preseason games, not being the starter in OTA's or minicamp, practicing ONE WEEK before the start of the season, and winning the first game.

RG III was awful and I hate it. Yes, it's week 1, but let's remember this: NOBODY ELSE WANTED HIM as a starter. Hue Jackson wants everyone to trust him, but why should they? He drafted Cody Kessler. Cody freaking Kessler. And while nobody is calling him a bust, I think it's safe to say that nobody is predicting him to EVER be "the man" for us.

We had no first downs in the first quarter. I'm all excited about football, and those assholes come out looking like pieces of shit. If we're going to absolutely suck, why not play Kessler? What do we have to lose? Let's see if he has what it takes! What do we gain by playing RG III? Are we hoping that he magically turns into a drop back QB? That he magically develops an internal clock?

RG III missed Hawkins in the end zone for a TOUCHDOWN. You can't miss those throws. Jesus man. What's worse? It's pretty much the same throw that Wentz made for TD's. He made it TWICE.

Yeah, I knew we'd be bad this year. I really did. But fuck this team. Screw them for a fake punt that everyone is laughing at. Screw them for dropping four passes. Screw them for SNAPPING THE BALL TO NIGERIA.

LOL, "Let the HATE flow through you son." Darth Sidious. Since I'm being accused of being a meanie Negative Nancy, I'll let you do my dirty work for me. I dare any of the sunshine crowd dispute anything you wrote. :)

Optimism:

Scooby will start over Davis next year

Pryor will be a solid #3 all year long

Rookies made the team because talent on the Browns roster simply doesn't exist yet

We'll still be #1 or #2 in next year's draft no matter what happens

Schobert and Ogbah will both be solid, as will Orchard who is set to be a starter-level injury backup for us -- until OLB is improved in the draft, hopefully next year as well

Bright spots. "Wait till next year" - again. If the Browns don't take a swing at a franchise qb next spring, I'll question Sashi and Depos sanity- because from what I've seen out of Griffin in the first 5 games, he sure as hell isn't one. Trying to "develop" a guy who's been in the NFL 4 seasons is an exercise in futility- MHO. Everything the boo-birds were saying about Griffin's flaws & the reasons why the Redskins dumped him- have been proven true to this point. Cody "McCoy II" Kessler? You kidding me?

His targeting computer is way off too. I've yet to rewatch the debacle, but my initial take was RG III threw a boatload of passes 10 feet or more off off target. That misguided fade to Hawkins- which was a sure TD was particularly galling. Most decent NFL QBs can make that throw with their eyes closed, in their sleep.

Want me to bring some to Naples? Or I'll UPS it down to you in a refrigerated box. LOL my deceased cat Boynton thought that Lawson's Chip Dip was the most wonderful substance in the world. We caught him up on the kitchen counter once, and he had sucked down a 1\2 tub of it.

LOL my deceased cat Boynton thought that Lawson's Chip Dip was the most wonderful substance in the world. We caught him up on the kitchen counter once, and he had sucked down a 1\2 tub of it.

no disrespect (i love animals) but how soon after that did boynton die?

sounds horrible.

Comparing Manziel to Goff?

Might have to start calling you stretch armstrong.

Comparing Wentz, who is starting already and won a game against Goff, who Tour said was light years ahead and who is sitting behind Case Keenum. I heard he'll be inactive tonight.

I still like Manziel the player. Unfortunate that he's a total D Bag.

While getting a rare Monday off from work, I was listening to Cleveland sports radio this morning.

It was at 7:15 the station received its first "fire Hue" caller.

I don't care who the HC is, but damn we can't keep firing coaches every year or two.

Probably read a Hoorta post.

no disrespect (i love animals) but how soon after that did boynton die?

sounds horrible.

:) Mik- Boynton lived to be 14, which is 80 in human years. Died of a heart attack, very unusual for a cat. Probably because he thought he was a human. He'd eat stuff you would never expect a cat to chow down on. Besides the usual- Dad, can I have a chunk of your steak? Chip dip, um olives, popcorn, Dad's having some port & Roquefort, he'd politely ask for some of the cheese. Wouldn't try some of Dad's wine though. He was pretty smart, to those who say you can't train a cat, Boynton was the exception. He learned "Give me your paw", "lay down", "play dead". If you're wondering how he got his name- well, he looked like a big grey fur ball Boynton.

blog_cats_boynton.jpg

Probably read a Hoorta post.

D-Nile. Told ya War, the Natives are VERY restless in Cleveland. They don't need any encouragement from me. 99.9% of those call-in folks don't read this Message Board. I told Tour in a P-M if Wentz lit it up in the opening game they'd have the tar, feathers, rail and pitchforks handy to run the whole crew out of town. Sashi has already said they're going to ignore the background noise.

I'm willing to be patient with this coaching staff. Hue can't perform miracles with the talent he has to work with. BUT if Griffin continues to stink- I would at least hope Jackson is willing to admit he seriously misjudged Griffin's potential as a starter.

D-Nile. Told ya War, the Natives are VERY restless in Cleveland. They don't need any encouragement from me. 99.9% of those call-in folks don't read this Message Board. I told Tour in a P-M if Wentz lit it up in the opening game they'd have the tar, feathers, rail and pitchforks handy to run the whole crew out of town. Sashi has already said they're going to ignore the background noise.

I'm willing to be patient with this coaching staff. Hue can't perform miracles with the talent he has to work with. BUT if Griffin continues to stink- I would at least hope Jackson is willing to admit he seriously misjudged Griffin's potential as a starter.

After listening to Cleveland sports radio most of the day, I would say the general consensus is there's definitely buyers remorse for passing on Wentz.

I'm not going to fall into that category...yet, but if Wentz ends up going to the Pro Bowl the next couple of years Jimmah will need to hold the Harvard boys accountable.

Comparing Manziel to Goff? Might have to start calling you stretch armstrong.

What did "Stretch" ever do to you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7r6A6YQdtI

lol... 40 hours round the clock Florida to Ohio... Lotta 2-lane roads thru Georgia speed traps in those days.

Want me to bring some to Naples? Or I'll UPS it down to you in a refrigerated box. LOL my deceased cat Boynton thought that Lawson's Chip Dip was the most wonderful substance in the world. We caught him up on the kitchen counter once, and he had sucked down a 1\2 tub of it.

Boynton should have added red wine to his diet to counteract that bad stuff...

Is the dip still available? I'll spring for the Ruffles if it is...

Comparing Wentz, who is starting already and won a game against Goff, who Tour said was light years ahead and who is sitting behind Case Keenum. I heard he'll be inactive tonight.

I still like Manziel the player. Unfortunate that he's a total D Bag.

Not my words, but I'll own the sentiment and will stick by Jared for now... vs. Wentz or JM.

Worst I can do is .500...

You hurt, not help. Simple as that.

Sashi tuning out background news is totally vital when it's Sashi's job being evaluated. Lol

You hurt, not help. Simple as that.

Sashi tuning out background news is totally vital when it's Sashi's job being evaluated. Lol

Gosh- whatever. If you want to lead the cheer leading squad- be my guest. My position should be perfectly clear to you by now. I'm certainly not going to back down from my POV. This is a Big Boy forum. Most of the guys who post here on a regular basis are adult enough to make up their own minds about what they're seeing from the Browns. I seriously doubt me taking a wait and see attitude, and calling a spade a spade- lousy play- is going to influence other posters here (and certainly not the legion of boo-birds over on cleveland.com). That stuff has been going on for 10+ years, and it sure as hell isn't going to change now.

. Probably because he thought he was a human. He'd eat stuff you would never expect a cat to chow down on. Besides the usual- Dad, can I have a chunk of your steak? Chip dip, um olives, popcorn, Dad's having some port & Roquefort,

last dog before this one would eat salad with italian dressing. this one's favorite is spaghetti and meatballs.

Archived