THE BROWNS BOARD

"What is Aleppo?"

Tour2ma

Gary Johnson just blew it on Morning Joe.

“What would you do if you were elected about Aleppo?” MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” panelist Mike Barnicle asked the former New Mexico governor during an in-studio interview Thursday morning.

“And what is Aleppo?” Johnson responded.

“You’re kidding,” a stunned Barnicle replied, to which Johnson answered that he was not.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/gary-johnson-aleppo-227873

Gary Johnson just blew it on Morning Joe.

“What would you do if you were elected about Aleppo?” MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” panelist Mike Barnicle asked the former New Mexico governor during an in-studio interview Thursday morning.

“And what is Aleppo?” Johnson responded.

“You’re kidding,” a stunned Barnicle replied, to which Johnson answered that he was not.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/gary-johnson-aleppo-227873

Oh boy....

I'm no Gary Johnson fan, but I think this is a non-story. Foreign policy has never been his forte, and he gave a reasonable answer once it was clarified that Aleppo was part of Syria. This is why presidents have cabinets. No single person can be an expert on every issue. This is just the establishment's media trying to character assassinate anyone who stands in the way of their attempt to hold on to the status quo, like they've been trying to do any time Trump talks about foreign policy. Remember when he was asked about the nuclear triad?

As noted previously, any bad press (and lost votes) against Johnson is not good for pro-Trump. Certainly almost anyone not voting for Johnson because of stuff like this isn't going to the Donald.

Agree though this is a non-issue. To be really honest as someone who keeps up with the news a good bit I had no idea of the name of this city until about 10 days ago.

I didn't recognize the name Aleppo. It was an ambush and it worked. Hillary supporters have to do something to take the eye off their cannonade.

But if we're just looking for a debater in chief every candidate should learn one basic rule. Always ask for a clarification of any question.

The more your attacker clarifies, the easier it is to craft something that sounds reasonable.

WSS

Aleppo, who? My thought is this, Gary has already stated his position on foreign policy. You can change the name from Aleppo to any other city or country in the world having the same issues, and his answer will probably stay the same. Not knowing where Aleppo was, (me neither) logically, doesn't change my opinion of Gary. What I would like to know is what he would do with N. Korea and that fat turd of a leader they have their.

I was surprised Gary Johnson didn't know about Aleppo. I knew about it. It is has been in the news a number of times in a number of years as being a rebel stronghold and a city where Assad has used chemical weapons against. I don't think it is a big deal though and I appreciated how Johnson handled himself afterwards and his honesty.

I guess he could have made an excuse and said something like he made a Jeopardy answer and answered in the form of a question, "what is Aleppo". :)

I actually did a search of this board. There was one mention in 2011 and it was just in a cut and paste article. Aside from that not one single member of The Forum has ever even said the word.

FYI

WSS

I knew about as it was in the news a few times. Not an expert or anything on Aleppo just knew it to be a rebel stronghold that had been attacked by Assad's government forces with chemical weapons. I was very surprised that Gary Johnson had never even heard of Aleppo.

I actually did a search of this board. There was one mention in 2011 and it was just in a cut and paste article. Aside from that not one single member of The Forum has ever even said the word.

FYI

WSS

We probably haven't mentioned Damascus either on this board but that doesn't mean some people don't know what and where it is.

Archived