THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

And if RG III flops? It's quarterback. PERIOD. End of discussion. Anyone who thinks Kessler resembles an NFL quarterback at this point must have been hitting the Kessler heavy.

On that, I completely agree. Which is why I would've traded McCown for whatever draft pick we could get. Unless they're thinking that if RGIII flops, it will be nice having a good guy and good QB mentor around in McCown for next years #1 draft pick.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garrett is a no brainier if he is there.

I like this Allen DE from Bama and either of the RB's Fournette, McCafferey, or Chubb.

The QB people need to keep their eye on is Patrick Mahomes. He comes from that goofy Texas Tech offense but he's got an absolute rocket, he's mobile, and 6'3 230. Led all the FBS in total yardage last year. I like him more than Watson and Kelly. Brad Kayya is pretty good too.

I like this Allen DE from Bama and either of the RB's Fournette, McCafferey, or Chubb.

The QB people need to keep their eye on is Patrick Mahomes. He comes from that goofy Texas Tech offense but he's got an absolute rocket, he's mobile, and 6'3 230. Led all the FBS in total yardage last year. I like him more than Watson and Kelly. Brad Kayya is pretty good too.

I don't know about better than Watson or Kelly but I agree Mahomes is a stud. Remember this is the kid Tech dumped Baker Mayfield for.

Watch more. Chavis runs a very aggressive DL scheme and counts on LBs to make most tackles in the run game. Ours sucked last year, so when Garrett blew up OTs, the necessary guys weren't there to fill the gap created. FTR, PFF graded him very well against the run last year. Why you chose to watch the third game of his true sophomore season against crap competition over the battles against Tunsil, Robinson, Coleman, etc., I'm not sure.

I think we can say after Saturday he's added the bull rush to his repertoire (got a sack on future first rounder Connor McDermott with it). I would note that Von Miller had 19 sacks as a junior with only a speed move.

That said, I don't know about him as a 3-4 guy but with our dearth of defensive talent, you change the D for him. Then again if you change the D, you're pretty set at DE. Quite the quandary.

"He has the speed, no doubt about that. Zero secondary/counter move so far"

Funny, I was watching the tape against UCLA and what struck me is how much he bullrushed the LT back and I thought *that* was his main move, with a bit of speed to go round the edge. Not too much of a hand fighter though, and doesn't really have the 'motor' that a lot of players come out with. Unless he's making the sack/tackle, he was very rarely around the ball carrier, and there were a few times where a bit more pursuit from him stops a cut back.

Side note - that Aggies D looked nasty, and/or the UCLA QB looked horrible. If they fix the concentration issues from the third quarter, that game is a blowout.

Well he rated out better in that game than any last year. And tops in the country over the weekend pff.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Bolt/Grading-the-film-Myles-Garrett-dominates-vs-UCLA-47261047

PS-"doesn't really have the 'motor' that a lot of players come out with. Unless he's making the sack/tackle, he was very rarely around the ball carrier, and there were a few times where a bit more pursuit from him stops a cut back.'"

Watch again. They did a lot of double teams sometimes augmented with a "chip" by the RB. His job for a lot of that game was to occupy as many O players as possible so Chavis could send in the "crew". Smart DC. There is one play where he just throws the two blockers to the side and causes a bad throw by the QB.

Perfect example of "occupying" blockers for a "cleanup" sack by others @ the 1:31 mark in this recap. Throwing away the blocker into the chipper causing the hurry along with another defender @ 2:17 mark

And a triple to double team on him @ 3:17

Lord knows there's nothing wrong with that, but if you don't see a lot of Johnny Manziel's game in Mayfield - then we're watching different QB's.

As for Garrett - I'm watching the 2015 A&M vs Nevada tape. I'll have to watch more of their season through and then the additional pass rushers.

So far I see a kid with freakish athletic ability, an amazing first step and an incredibly raw everything else. Sounds.... Mingo-esque, doesn't it?

He has the speed, no doubt about that. Zero secondary/counter move so far. In run defense he's quite the liability unless A&M has schemed him to align and attack outside like that.

Nevada got hip to that early and ran under him a few times. When it's an early down and he's not being turned loose, he has a tendency to duck the crown of his helmet into the tackle.

There's no way he's seeing what he's hitting but in this tape once he's locked up, its over. When I mentioned I didn't love his inability to stack and shed, that is what I was referring to.

He might not be getting beat wide, but there have been a few times he's taken himself out of B gap plays or simply didn't rip his way back inside to the ball carrier.

Kahlil Mack he is not (so far)

IF he is your first rounder and what I see carries over throughout 2015 into 2016 then his first year or two will be exclusively subpackage, situational pass rushing. He has the ability to contribute half dozen sacks his rookie year just from that. But he's in desperate need of fine tuning his game.

Of course this opinion is subject to change. I'm sure i'll watch more and report back.

Oh, no I definitely do. That's what I like about him.

If utilized correctly, Manziel's talent could have found success - like a poor man's Russell Wilson.

The problem with Manziel was never really his ability, it was his flat out refusal to put in the effort to learn how to adapt it to the pros.

Mayfield has the ability to be a decent QB in a WCO, he has great short ball placement, throws well on the run, and is able generate space between himself and a rusher. Unfortunately, he's hamstrung by his lack of arm strength and his instability inside the pocket.

I don't see him worth anything more than a mid to late round pick, but I wouldn't be opposed if we took him in the, say, 5th and just plopped him on the bench for a few years.

Let's assume the Eagles go 3-13 and the Browns 4-12 this year which would land us two top-5 picks:

We need to take Myles Garrett with the first of 1st rounders. I'm all for Leonard Fournette, but if our Browns do better than expected (6-10?), and we have a fringe top-10 pick, Jabrill Peppers looks great to me. He looks like he could play the nickel and both safeties in the pros. If he ends up 3/4th the player Tyrann Mathieu is, I'm happy.

I don't know about better than Watson or Kelly but I agree Mahomes is a stud. Remember this is the kid Tech dumped Baker Mayfield for.

Shhh....don't talk about him. Let him continue to fly under the radar.

EDIT: Also, I thought Mayfield left TT because of Webb.

But, now we got Hogan....who some may have considered drafting in Kessler's spot. FWIW

And he was cut by the Chiefs. As long as he doesn't play like Hulk Hogan. Connor Shaw replacement, with a better arm.

Watch more. Chavis runs a very aggressive DL scheme and counts on LBs to make most tackles in the run game.

I'm well aware of Chavis' and his defensive ideals. Believe me, I'll be looking at previous ends of his to compare with Myles, most notably, Mingo.

Why you chose to watch the third game of his true sophomore season against crap competition over the battles against Tunsil, Robinson, Coleman, etc., I'm not sure.

I want to see his motor. I want to see if he takes large amounts of plays off. That was a large knock from many of you about Joey Bosa. I want to be consistent. Besides, if he can't dominate lesser tackles then it becomes a red flag.

I think we can say after Saturday he's added the bull rush to his repertoire (got a sack on future first rounder Connor McDermott with it). I would note that Von Miller had 19 sacks as a junior with only a speed move.

Miller is a special talent, I'll be sure to watch week 1.

That said, I don't know about him as a 3-4 guy but with our dearth of defensive talent, you change the D for him. Then again if you change the D, you're pretty set at DE. Quite the quandary.

As I said, I'll be watching a ton more as the season goes on and am trying to find weeks 1-13 of 2015 so I can watch them progressively.

Word. He was a play taker-offer in 2014 (true freshman), no doubt. Better in 2015. Last Saturday he didn't seem to and that was driven home repeatedly by Danielson (who had criticized him a lot for doing so the last two years). That said, when games were on the line he did put the team on his back and make a play several times (notably when the Alabama game was slipping away--tipped pass to himself for INT and I believe a blocked punt).

He's a special talent. Really special. Am I in love with him like I was Von? Not really. Just adding here since I've seen so much.

Also zero character issues and not on social media.

Apparently ND's Kizer is also in the discussions for the #1 QB slot.

Anyone watch him play vs Texas this past week?

Page 1 & 2 of this thread...

Today during highlights, former FSU/NFL QB Danny Kanell said Buechele has the best deep ball in the Big 12 since RG3. I'm guessing that implies it's accurate too. If we still suck by the time he enters the draft, do I even need to type what happened to my fortune teller days?

So if we end up with the #1 overall pick (outlook seems headed that way), will we repeat the trade down process once again or draft a franchise player?

Magic 8 ball says it depends on what the eagles' pick looks like. If that's high I can see us taking a 'franchise player' and trading theirs. If not I suspect we trade ours. Just my 2c.

So if we end up with the #1 overall pick (outlook seems headed that way), will we repeat the trade down process once again or draft a franchise player?

Too early to know the answer...

Not too early to see the premise...

Since it appears that the Browns are on a long term rebuilding program....and that winning games is of no consequences to them at this point.......why don't we Browns fans just exclusively focus on what is important to the team: The Draft. Lets not bother watching or talking about the games. I may in fact put a personal embargo on talking about the Browns actual games this season. So, here we go, the #1 thing for Browns management and fans: 2017 Draft prospects at areas of need for the Browns:

1. Quarterback.....possible Choices: DeShaun Watson Clemson, Brad Kaaya Miami, Chad Kelly Ole Miss.

2.Cornerback....Marlon Humphrey Alabama, Teez Tabor Florida, Adoree Jackson USC

3. Safeties....Budda Baker Washington, Marcus Maye, Florida, Jabil Peppers Michigan, Jamal Adams LSU

4. Defensive Tackles...Malik McDowell, Mich State. Lowell Lotuleili Utah, Jarron Jones Notre Dame

5. Inside Linebacker: Raekwon McMillan, Ohio St., Reuben Foster Alabama

6. Guards: Dan Feeney Indiana, Billy Price Ohio St.

7. OTs: Cam Robinson Alabama, Roderick Johnson LSU

8. Defensive Ends: Myles Garret Texas A&M

9. OLBs: Tim William Alabama

10. Center: Pat Elflein Ohio St.

Maybe the Browns should just adopt a policy: only draft players from Alabama and Ohio St. Those teams seem to get the best talent and dominate the draft every year anyway.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say safety, particularly strong safety, isn't a position of need for the browns. Campbell and Kindred look legitimate NFL players. Poyer is serviceable but could be upgraded

Also, Alabama players - fine, just no backs - running or quarter.

haven't seen anyone yet in the college ranks that has me going "that's the guy!" yeah, i know it will happen later with the heisman consideration and as things trickle down but sorry watson? no. rosen? ehh. then just ehh.

Rosen is just another Manziel.

Watson can make any throw you want an NFL QB to make, and deliver it when it needs to be delivered. Only problem is he's a little undersized. He is this year's Goff, but more talented with his legs.

Kizer has the ability to make any throw you'd want but is less polished than Watson. However, he has fantastic intangibles and size. He is this year's Wentz, only at a big program. And he's an Ohio guy, which is nice.

Those are the only two I'm in on right now. I am tentatively following Mahomes right now, he has the size and the arm talent but he's a developmental guy for sure.

Rosen is just another Manziel.

Watson can make any throw you want an NFL QB to make, and deliver it when it needs to be delivered. Only problem is he's a little undersized. He is this year's Goff, but more talented with his legs.

Kizer has the ability to make any throw you'd want but is less polished than Watson. However, he has fantastic intangibles and size. He is this year's Wentz, only at a big program. And he's an Ohio guy, which is nice.

Those are the only two I'm in on right now. I am tentatively following Mahomes right now, he has the size and the arm talent but he's a developmental guy for sure.

Kizer played well last year in the games I saw. I thought Rosen was a bigger dude than Manziel but I've never seen him play, just heard a lot about him that he's way over on the cocky side, which if he can back it up would be just fine but I don't want another midget who's the village idiot running around back there.

Rosen looked good last week under tremendous pressure. I believe he's the first QB to throw for 300 yards against A&M since 2014, and there likely won't be another one this year. Id be interested to hear how he compared to Manziel as I don't see it at all.

Archived