THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

Pretty embarrassing for early supporters here to see him benched last game. But BR's Matt Miller is still defending him albeit the video is full of plays against one of the crappiest defenses out there (no prejudice here :lol: ).

http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/brian-kelly-benches-deshone-kizer-malik-zaire-seeking-energy-notre-dame-didnt-get

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2670166-dear-nfl-do-not-hit-panic-button-on-notre-dames-deshone-kizer

You really want a guy who QBs a 2-5 team?

Record matters not

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if the Browns are foolish enough to do that with a season like he is having........................................Lord help us all.

Drafted Manziel in the first - still more embarassing.

edit - if you're going to be any Buckeye on this team it better be Hooker. Boy has range for days.

Record matters not

Agree.. too many factors not related to QB play.

No, but performances do.

True... so long as performance is evaluated on tape and not inferred from stat lines.

Anybody interested (like myself) going to the 2017 draft in Philly. Rd.1 Thursday 4-27. Rds. 2 & 3-4-28 Friday (my B-Day present to Me) Sat.4-29 Rnds.4-7..Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly.. Ticketcity.com for info & will email ticket sale dates (price ??)..May want to book that hotel now ;) over 200k were in Chicago last season..#Let's get some Dawgs in Philly's house!!

No, but performances do.

They do. And there's little I've seen from both Watson and Kizer that suggest they won't have some semblance of success in the NFL.

They have transferable skills, regardless of how poorly their teams are playing or whether they seem to have plateaued.

I'm not advocating we go all in on one with the first pick right now, but I'm also not going to be reactionary and say they suck.

Anybody interested (like myself) going to the 2017 draft in Philly. Rd.1 Thursday 4-27. Rds. 2 & 3-4-28 Friday (my B-Day present to Me) Sat.4-29 Rnds.4-7..Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly.. Ticketcity.com for info & will email ticket sale dates (price ??)..May want to book that hotel now ;) over 200k were in Chicago last season..#Let's get some Dawgs in Philly's house!!

Yes... Posted my interest after Philly was announced as host city. mik was interested as well.

OK, I have a serious question in all this. We have kept 14 draft picks on the roster this year and are looking for similar next year. Yay!? So that would mean that in 4 years just as these young guys start hitting their stride, we have 14 contracts due at the same time. Then a similar number The next year. How is this sustainable? I am hip to drafting smart but it kinda looks like we are putting all the eggs in one basket.

Well, if they have any sense, this is the year to package picks and move up......this year, Id prefer fewer picks that are higher quality......... and we do have the goods to create some trades and improve our draft positions.....

And, dont worry, a number of players from this first class will be long gone by then....

OK, I have a serious question in all this. We have kept 14 draft picks on the roster this year and are looking for similar next year. Yay!? So that would mean that in 4 years just as these young guys start hitting their stride, we have 14 contracts due at the same time. Then a similar number The next year. How is this sustainable? I am hip to drafting smart but it kinda looks like we are putting all the eggs in one basket.

The philosophy of drafting a bunch of guys is that the whole thing is a crap shoot, so to speak, and nowhere near 14 will become legit players. Maybe we get 4 or 5?

Either way, having 14 quality players whose contracts are up qualifies firmly as a nice problem to have - the kind this team hasn't had in a long time.

So none of the QB's are really separating themselves from the pack. As in right now no QB looks like they will actually be worth the 1st overall pick, but maybe instead the 5th or 10th, so on so forth. What everyone needs to keep in mind is that we are only half way through the college season. Every year one or two QB prospects come out of now where to end up being first round picks. Now are those prospects always good? No, but it just goes to show that even though there isn't a true #1 QB being pointed out right now, there is a decent chance there will be one by the end of the season.

OK, I have a serious question in all this. We have kept 14 draft picks on the roster this year and are looking for similar next year. Yay!? So that would mean that in 4 years just as these young guys start hitting their stride, we have 14 contracts due at the same time. Then a similar number The next year. How is this sustainable?

It's the way the NFL is......we have that many every year......look at it like this....most players have a 4 year or shorter contract.....and, we have 53 players(divide by 4).....which means we have an avg of 13 per year/////

Now....factor in that many have contracts that are shorter than 4 and you can increase that yearly total....

I looked it up and guess how many expire in 2017......that would be 26....and in 2018 its 11.....2019 its 16....2020 its 13....

Now factor in the odds of 14 rookies still being here after 4 years and all needing big contracts(that would be 1 in a million)(ie no chance)....

So...the contract thingy is a non issue......really

It's the way the NFL is......we have that many every year......look at it like this....most players have a 4 year or shorter contract.....and, we have 53 players(divide by 4).....which means we have an avg of 13 per year/////

Now....factor in that many have contracts that are shorter than 4 and you can increase that yearly total....

I looked it up and guess how many expire in 2017......that would be 26....and in 2018 its 11.....2019 its 16....2020 its 13....

Now factor in the odds of 14 rookies still being here after 4 years and all needing big contracts(that would be 1 in a million)(ie no chance)....

So...the contract thingy is a non issue......really

Good explanation. Thanks

And if Kessler continues to get better for the reminder of the season despite the OL problems, then selecting a QB matters not either.

I agree Ag. I've posted it in other threads. How Kessler does the rest of the season will play a huge role how the Browns 2017 draft unfolds. So it's too early to speculate. Other than the D needs some serious help. :)

I agree Ag. I've posted it in other threads. How Kessler does the rest of the season will play a huge role how the Browns 2017 draft unfolds. So it's too early to speculate. Other than the D needs some serious help. :)

Agreed , But I would also say.. Cam Erving blows.. O-Line could use a good tweak , too!

Garrett is clearly not 100%. Hasn't mounted anything near a QB pressure. Handled a couple times by Howard in PassPro.

Still I've been impressed with his awareness (covering the RB release for a screen near end of 1st Bama drive) and stacking and shedding the LT on a run stuff in Q2.

That said... I'd wouldn't mind drafting the Bama front seven... and their RB, Harris (pre-concussion)... and their TE/H-back, Howard.

Garrett is clearly not 100%. Hasn't mounted anything near a QB pressure. Handled a couple times by Howard in PassPro.

Still I've been impressed with his awareness (covering the RB release for a screen near end of 1st Bama drive) and stacking and shedding the LT on a run stuff in Q2.

That said... I'd wouldn't mind drafting the Bama front seven... and their RB, Harris (pre-concussion)... and their TE/H-back, Howard.

Garret will be fine once that high ankle sprain is fully healed. Those things sometimes linger through a whole season. They left him home for the S.C. game. Hope they let him off for New Mex State next week.

Garrett created a lot of pressure and he did it against what will be a first rounder THIS year. Also a 3 year starter.

Allen is awesome but he's going against a 3 star true freshman who not an Aggie in the world can figure out why is still starting.

Context people.

So none of the QB's are really separating themselves from the pack. As in right now no QB looks like they will actually be worth the 1st overall pick, but maybe instead the 5th or 10th, so on so forth. What everyone needs to keep in mind is that we are only half way through the college season. Every year one or two QB prospects come out of now where to end up being first round picks. Now are those prospects always good? No, but it just goes to show that even though there isn't a true #1 QB being pointed out right now, there is a decent chance there will be one by the end of the season.

Tribisky?

Archived