Sign in to follow this  
Solon16

Kokinis got schooled

We didn't get schooled at all.

By trading the #5, we ended up with 2 starters and a decent QB. Couldn't get that in the draft.

We got #52 which ended up being a decent WR prospect in MM.

We also ended up with two FREE sixth rounders. Yes, FREE. Cost us NOTHING. They weren't going to be higher picks because both Philly and TB knew we weren't taking their guy and were reasonably sure they could have waited for them. They chose not to and gave up a low pick. How does that hurt us exactly?

And no, I'd rather not have Maclin and Rey and a guy who wasn't even drafted yesterday...

Yep, agree. Mayock says late round picks are fine when you trust your talent evaluation. New England has lived by this method for years, which is why they are the trade down kings.

Our biggest need was pass rusher and we got none, we needed a running back and we got none, a center and 2 wide receivers and a converted DE is not what I would have expected.

Tell me how many 2nd day picks make NFL rosters or any type of impact, we got a bunch of 6th round picks....whoooooooooo, if we are expected to build this team into a winner with a bunch of 2nd day picks we are in BIG TROUBLE

For the people who think we were smart to pass on Rey, just remember when Rey is playing in the Pro bowl what we could have had

This team still has no identity on defense, we have no linebackers who you can say are better than average, and don't tell me about all the tackles D'Qwell makes, the playmakers in a 3-4 are the LB's and who do we have at linebacker, Wimbley=BUST, Old Man Barton, Unproven=Hall.

This draft was TERRIBLE

In the last 2 years we got Jerome Harrison and Brandon McDonald with 6th rounders... seems to me that might be one of our better rounds in terms of drafting recently.

When we remember that we could have had Rey, we'll be enjoying the 2+ pro bowlers on our offensive line (Mack, Thomas, etc) opening holes for our pro bowl 6th rounder, Jerome Harrison :P

It's possible, you know, that the team has the appropriate personnel to run an effective 3-4 and that Romeo was a large part of the problem, lol. That guy was so in over his head... that this wouldn't surprise me. We have a bunch of solid dudes on the DL now, and I'm guessing MAngina wants to train Wimbley to not suck - notice Wimbley got worse the longer Romeo had his hands on him?

I doubt any LB tandem will get more tackles than DQ and Barton this year.

Id go along with the idea that we should get schooled like this every draft, im pleased with every selection and trade down, potentially 3 starters in the 1st season and another WR who will be at least a role player. Then we got the extra picks and didnt have to pay a massive number 5 contract + we got a starting safety, a well thought of young QB and a rotational DE? Not the glitzy picks of 2006 but equally as good for what we achieved in my mind, all good character guys, im very very happy...

In the last 2 years we got Jerome Harrison and Brandon McDonald with 6th rounders... seems to me that might be one of our better rounds in terms of drafting recently.

Both those guys were 5th rounders..

Solon, I agree with you 100%, We just got taken to school today, and this leads me to believe that Mangini is running everything with this team and Kokinis is just a figurehead..

Our biggest need was pass rusher and we got none, we needed a running back and we got none, a center and 2 wide receivers and a converted DE is not what I would have expected.

Tell me how many 2nd day picks make NFL rosters or any type of impact we got a bunch of 6th round picks....whoooooooooo, if we are expected to build this team into a winner with a bunch of 2nd day picks we are in BIG TROUBLE

For the people who think we were smart to pass on Rey, just remember when Rey is playing in the Pro bowl what we could have had

This team still has no identity on defense, we have no linebackers who you can say are better than average, and don't tell me about all the tackles D'Qwell makes, the playmakers in a 3-4 are the LB's and who do we have at linebacker, Wimbley=BUST, Old Man Barton, Unproven=Hall.

This draft was TERRIBLE

Tom Brady - 2000 - Round 6 - Pick 33 - #199 Overall

Matt Cassel - 2005 #230 overall

Hines Ward 1998 - Round 3 - Pick 30 - #92 Overall

T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 2001 - Round 7 - Pick 4 - #204 overall

Steve Smith - 2001 - round 3 #74 overall

Brian Westbrook - 2002 Round 3 - Pick 26 - #91 overall

Frank Gore - 2005 Round 3 - #65 Overall

Marion Barber - 2005 - round 4 - #109 overall

Brandon Jacobs - 2005 - round 4 - #110 overall

Jason Witten - 2003 Round 3 #69 Overall

Chris Cooley 3rd round

Gary Anderson - seventh round

Dante Hall - fifth round

Zach Thomas - fifth round

Joe Horn - fifth round

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila - fifth round

Marc Bulger - round 6

Stephen Davis - round 4

Ahman Green - 3rd round

Terrell Davis - sixth round

Joey Porter - 3rd round

Lance Briggs - 3rd round

Asante Samuel - round 4

Marques Colston - 3 picks away from being "Mr irrelevant"

Shannon Sharpe - 7th Round

Jammal Anderson - 6th Round

Herschel Walker - 4th Round

Good enough?

Chris Cooley 3rd round

Dante Hall - fifth round

Joe Horn - fifth round

Marc Bulger - round 6

Stephen Davis - round 4

Ahman Green - 3rd round

Joey Porter - 3rd round

Lance Briggs - 3rd round

Asante Samuel - round 4

Good enough?

Yeah I don't even know why they have the 2nd day. /sarcasm

I would think that we have a couple projects in mind for those 6th round picks, at best they will be a coin flip but could have good upside. That is if the Raiders don't select them in rounds 3 and 4.

Chris Cooley 3rd round

Dante Hall - fifth round

Joe Horn - fifth round

Marc Bulger - round 6

Stephen Davis - round 4

Ahman Green - 3rd round

Joey Porter - 3rd round

Lance Briggs - 3rd round

Asante Samuel - round 4

Good enough?

Why don't you tell many how many Browns players drafted on the 2nd day have amounted to anything?

Yea we have a Nickle back in McDonald, a RB in Harrison who gets 5 touches per game.

I love the way you guys pick out 15-20 players who have made it when there are over 1700 players on NFL rosters each year, yea its true maybe 2% of 6th round picks amount to something more than depth in the NFL

As for the trade you guys act as though we got quality players, we got 3 guys from the Jets who were going to be backups with the Jets

We should be drafting in the top 10 again next year

This draft makes me wish Butch Davis and Phil Savage was back and they were both terrible

The sky is falling!

LOL......it's funny to read some of these comments.

Guest Masters
perhaps...but we should have atleast two 4th rounders instead of 6th rounders...right now. I'd take maclin, Rey, Massaqua and rashad johnson all day over Mack, robiskie,massaqua and veikune...plus the two 4th rounder we should have gotten for the trade ups....with those we could package tomorrow and get Caldwell, shonn green...but what do i know I've only done this for 26 years! :rolleyes:

Based on what, should CLE have gotten a 4th rounder? The charts? Don't think so. CLE got the expected value for each trade.

They passed on Rey along with a bunch of other teams, including 3 that run the 3-4. I'd take Mack over Rey all day long. Look at the people takin over Rey. I think that shows teams don't think he is the player you and a few others thought, because of some big hit highlight reels.

You have been drafting for NFL teams for 26 years yet are on a message board? :rolleyes:

Guest Masters
Some people have tunnel vision and can't or refuse to see outside the box.

I think some people get ticked when the professional evaluators view players and needs differently then they do.

Rey is a good example. All year long people bought in to the hype and envisioned the next Ray Lewis, yet when the rubber met the road, he was the last starting USC backer selected.

Why is that???

The answer is in the first words of this post.

Right on ballpeen. I guess I wasn't crazy when I said Rey was the 3rd best LB coming out of USC, at least as seen on draft day by teams

Guest Masters
Flugs, I don't know where you got your information but the Steelers were not interested in taking Mack,

Look at every mock draft, reports coming out of PIT, every PIT paper, and the fact they only have one C on their depth chart. There was a high chance PIT was going to take Mack at 32

As someone who knows the three players received from the Jets well....I can tell you that you got two bona fide starters and a legitimate backup QB in addition to the second round pick. THEY FLEECED THE JETS not the other way around.

All of these guys have character to bring to a locker room that's in need of it.

Alex Mack is intelligent and tough as they come. Maualuga has serious off the field issues. Get over it. No wonder he went to Cincy.

By the way....Jennings is still on the board in the fourth....so second would be a reach.

For a team that only had four draft picks...they've parlayed them into four starters. Well done Mr. Kokinis.

Tampa wanted Freeman and were likely to get him. They just GUARANTEED it by giving us the 6th. Chances were slim Denver was taking him which is why it was only a 6th. We could have followed your plan and got NOTHING in return and still picked Mack at 19. Then you would have said "I can't believe Kokinis picked Mack in the top 20! What an idiot!"

You do realize we weren't going to get ALL those guys you mentioned, right? We took the best WR left on the board and the one who is arguably the most ready to be a pro. He's a Mangini guy through-and-through. How can you seriously hate on this pick?

As for Shonne Greene, you also realize he wasn't picked at ALL yesterday, right? Meaning, he's still available?

Just curious: were you drinking heavily before you posted this thread?

Watever dude ....go change your diapers little boy.

Guest Masters
Watever dude ....go change your diapers little boy.

Says the person running around throwing a hissy fit about the picks and trade :rolleyes:

Solon, I agree with you 100%, We just got taken to school today, and this leads me to believe that Mangini is running everything with this team and Kokinis is just a figurehead..

Tell me how many 2nd day picks make NFL rosters or any type of impact, we got a bunch of 6th round picks....whoooooooooo, if we are expected to build this team into a winner with a bunch of 2nd day picks we are in BIG TROUBLE

This draft was TERRIBLE

It wasn't terrible...it is pretty good actually...but Machlin, alphonso Smith and robiskie/Massaqua/, and shonn green would have been much better Caldwell with the 4th or luigs with fourth at C....Machlin is a top 10 talent that could have been gotten at #19.

Says the person running around throwing a hissy fit about the picks and trade :rolleyes:

Please don't ever respond to me again....u streetstucky hillbilly

Guest Masters
Please don't ever respond to me again....u streetstucky hillbilly

LMFAO...Way to prove the point. By the way, I am not from Streetsboro.

one guy ??? Not one.... Mack wasn't bad pick....I would rather have Machlin....Robiskie ...not bad pick...rather have darius Butler or Alphonso smith...massaqua??? rather have Shonn green...Veikune...depends where he plays... I hope it is ILB. We'll C...as to the rest???? Typical golfer material.

OH yeah Rey at #36 as well....better hope our corners stay healthy...P.S who's gonna play Nickle?

Guest Masters
OH yeah Rey at #36 as well....better hope our corners stay healthy...P.S who's gonna play Nickle?

Adams, McDonald, Ivy, or Poteat.

Guest Masters
Or some kid they pick with one of thier 6th rounders..

There is always that too. But with the addition of Elam, Adams can now be the backup FS and be the slot man if desired. McDonald isn't actually that bad and could be really effective covering the slot. CB is not really a need for CLE coming into the draft. It was a nice to have. It's funny how the experts who said it was a need a year ago were saying CLE could have a potential great combo with McDonald/Wright.

Right on ballpeen. I guess I wasn't crazy when I said Rey was the 3rd best LB coming out of USC, at least as seen on draft day by teams

A few years down the road we will all know who the 3rd rated backer out of USC is. Maybe we just got him in Maiava. time will tell.

And, my friend, you weren't crazy according to NFL GMs taht run a 3-4 defense.

People don't realize how much better Mack will make Steinbach and Hadnot/Tucker/Womack. Last year they had to provide help and there was no getting up field to the second level on running plays and teams were getting push right up the middle and that won't happen now. Plus the QB will actually have WRs to throw the ball to. I don't think teams will be able to play 8 in the box and single our WRs.

Should be a lot of smiles in Berea.

This draft was TERRIBLE

Since when do you work for the Browns and know their biggest need? When did ManKok fill you in on their plans for the team and what they perceive as the biggest needs of the team? Once again, another whiney little bitch because they didn't pick who you liked and you refuse to even wait and see what gets put on the field.

I know how you guys feel about Maualuga.....but you'll get to watch him twice a year for a Long time!

I know how you guys feel about Maualuga.....but you'll get to watch him twice a year for a Long time!

Apparently 30 other teams felt the same, some more than once. Its not just us that feel that way, its the PROFESSIONAL evaluators also.

Guest Masters
Strong!!!!

As strong as any wide eyed rookie coming in from this draft, outside of Jenkins.

Why don't you tell many how many Browns players drafted on the 2nd day have amounted to anything?

Yea we have a Nickle back in McDonald, a RB in Harrison who gets 5 touches per game.

I love the way you guys pick out 15-20 players who have made it when there are over 1700 players on NFL rosters each year, yea its true maybe 2% of 6th round picks amount to something more than depth in the NFL

As for the trade you guys act as though we got quality players, we got 3 guys from the Jets who were going to be backups with the Jets

We should be drafting in the top 10 again next year

This draft makes me wish Butch Davis and Phil Savage was back and they were both terrible

Actually that list was just off the top of my head. There are hundreds of other players that have been picked in the later rounds that went on to be impact players. Good teams have a way of finding these players including undrafted players. The fact that the browns have not had many impact players taken in the later rounds says more about your management than anything else. Hell, you have had alot of first round players that ended up being busts. But the fact is there are many players that will be taken in later rounds that are going to make a difference on a team.

Since when do you work for the Browns and know their biggest need? When did ManKok fill you in on their plans for the team and what they perceive as the biggest needs of the team? Once again, another whiney little bitch because they didn't pick who you liked and you refuse to even wait and see what gets put on the field.

Why the name calling? What NFL team do you work for, you want to act as though you know everything and from reading your post you sound like a guy who gets the little knowledge you have from the Internet......TAKE A JUMP OF THE NEAREST BRIDGE

The Browns got screwed and you can spin it anyway you wish, I have my opinion and you can keep yours. You are the type of STUPID FAN that believes every draft is good and believe whatever garbage the front office feeds you, but I expect living in Nebraska does that to the brain if you have one.

We traded back from #5 gave the Jets a Franchise QB and we get 2 guys who were not good enough to start for the Jets then we make trades down with both Tampa and Philly to pickup extra picks in the 6th round when most 6th rounders don't make NFL rosters, why don't you look back the last 5 years the number of 6 round picks that have actually made a NFL roster.

Then we take 2 receivers who are exactly the same player and reach for a LB from Hawaii, Mangini wants to prove how smart he is and in 3 years you and everybody will be crying for a new coach after we win another 18 games over the next 3 years. Mangini thinks he is Belichek, sorry but there is only one Billy B, the Browns will regret the day they hired this MORON.

I don't have to work for the Browns to know there needs, Stevie Wonder can see we have terrible linebackers and no pass rush