THE BROWNS BOARD

Kokinis got schooled

Solon16

compared to what NE got...and the other trades...kokinis got schooled especially in regard to Sanchez trade...a second rounder and a saftey& two backups? The Rookie showed his colors today...we got a 6th for tampa movin up to 17...short changed...a 6th for phily movin up to 19....Ne gets a 5th for baltimore to move up to 23.... schooled!!!

Would you rather have Maclin, Rey, (massaqua) and rashard johnson??/ i sure as hell would

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
compared to what NE got...and the other trades...kokinis got schooled especially in regard to Sanchez trade...a second rounder and a saftey& two backups? The Rookie showed his colors today...we got a 6th for tampa movin up to 17...short changed...a 6th for phily movin up to 19....Ne gets a 5th for baltimore to move up to 23.... schooled!!!

Would you rather have Maclin, Rey, (massaqua) and rashard johnson??/ i sure as hell would

Exactly. This draft is shameful in so many ways.

You know what it was? They didn;t care. mack was there guy and they were taking anything anyone offered.

Mangini is just following in his N.Y. Footsteps. Mangold was his #1 there too.....And that sure made a difference for them!!! Woohoo!!

compared to what NE got...and the other trades...kokinis got schooled especially in regard to Sanchez trade...a second rounder and a saftey& two backups? The Rookie showed his colors today

Let me help.

We got the best Center in the draft who can also play Guard. BTW, Pittsburgh REALLY wanted Mack. We also added 2 guys that started on the Jets D plus 3 more picks than we started the day with. Aside from that, we needed WRs and landed 2 and added an OLBer/pass rusher.

Not for nothing but when Kokinos came here he was looking at 4 draft picks for 2009. Don't forget he got 1 pick for Winslow this year and 1 more pick for Winslow next year. Kokinos & Co addressed ALOT more holes on our roster than you think today. Now we're looking at 4 more picks tomorrow. Could have been a lot worse.

- Tom F.

Let me help.

We got the best Center in the draft who can also play Guard. BTW, Pittsburgh REALLY wanted Mack. We also added 2 guys that started on the Jets D plus 3 more picks than we started the day with. Aside from that, we needed WRs and landed 2 and added an OLBer/pass rusher.

Not for nothing but when Kokinos came here he was looking at 4 draft picks for 2009. Don't forget he got 1 pick for Winslow this year and 1 more pick for Winslow next year. Kokinos & Co addressed ALOT more holes on our roster than you think today. Now we're looking at 4 more picks tomorrow. Could have been a lot worse.

- Tom F.

and, he may not be done. Edwards may give us another pick and player this year and a top pick next year. He also made DA expendable.

I hope we get schooled like this every year.

perhaps...but we should have atleast two 4th rounders instead of 6th rounders...right now. I'd take maclin, Rey, Massaqua and rashad johnson all day over Mack, robiskie,massaqua and veikune...plus the two 4th rounder we should have gotten for the trade ups....with those we could package tomorrow and get Caldwell, shonn green...but what do i know I've only done this for 26 years! :rolleyes:

and, he may not be done. Edwards may give us another pick and player this year and a top pick next year. He also made DA expendable.

I hope we get schooled like this every year.

I hear ya Y'town. Somebody is bringing up a NE comparision while conveniently forgetting NE had ALOT more leverage than a measely 5 total picks to work with in this draft. Don't forget NE just got away with a REAL shadey deal with Pioli not too long ago too.

Since arriving in Cleveland, Kokinos has turned 4 picks into 8 picks and 1 we got another added to the 2010 draft. When you can also add starters from a 10-6 team in the process - you're doing pretty good IMO.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

How many times did the Browns, Pats, and Broncos pass on Rey? Seems to raise the possibility that no one in the Belichick tree thinks Maualuga's a good fit for their version of the 3-4.

I hear ya Y'town. Somebody is bringing up a NE comparision while conveniently forgetting NE had ALOT more leverage than a measely 5 total picks to work with in this draft. Don't forget NE just got away with a REAL shadey deal with Pioli not too long ago too.

Since arriving in Cleveland, Kokinos has turned 4 picks into 8 picks and 1 we got another added to the 2010 draft. When you can also add starters from a 10-6 team in the process - you're doing pretty good IMO.

- Tom F.

I read this and I thought Ghoolie or Rich were back........Although the center is a solid pick, I would have liked them to take a flyer on Beanie.

I am glad we did not take Maualuga. He is way too overhyped IMO. I would have liked to have drafted Wells, but that is some of my Buckeye homerism. I do think he can be great, though.

How many times did the Browns, Pats, and Broncos pass on Rey? Seems to raise the possibility that no one in the Belichick tree thinks Maualuga's a good fit for their version of the 3-4.

Good point Aloy. You've been saying this would happen all along and today alot more than just those 3 teams passed on Rey. That makes this the second time in 1 day I gotta say "you da man!"

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

Thanks, Flugs.

Playing in Cinci's 4-3 may be a better fit for Maualuga, especially because he & Keith Rivers already know each other's games. Rivers also was the guy Pete Carroll had room with Rey on the road to make sure he didn't get into any trouble.

But considering it's Cinci, my guess is that Tank Johnson will immediately becomes Rey's mentor. Unless Tank's too busy with Andre Smith.

Let me help.

- Tom F.

I dont need your help...but thanks...maybe i was bein a little harse but I thought you liked rey...maybe that was someone else. The Tampa trade is the leverage we had and lost...Tampa WANTED freeman...we could have said unless we get a fourth, we'll let Denver take him then hung up....they'd have called back. anyway now that the dust has settled for me...its an OK draft...hope Robiskie will be a nice # 2 who knows what we have in Massaqua....seems like "Quincy" hands a real possibility ...but I'm still disapointed we didn't get alonzo smith, or connor barwin or rey, or le sean mccoy, shonn green etc....

I don't think that the case.

Much depends on who was motivated to move.

Baltimore needed a OT, so they had the desire to move up.

In our case, we didn't see the value when we picked, so we sought to move down. The team wanting to move is the team that pays the premium.

It's obvious the team felt center was the A#1 priority, and I really don't disagree.

They knew they didn't want to make that selection above 20 unless centers started coming off the board.

I think we played the 1st day well.

Not a bad first day just no big expensive names...we will get to face rey rey 2 times a year as a bengal as many times as we and others passed on him and other lighted names im inclined to trust the regimes gut feeling on it...we got what we needed to complete part 1 of a 3 part process...i could care less about big names and bigger dollars i want a winning team that works together not a primadonna fest...;)

Let me help.

- Tom F.

So far I have been very impressed with Clevelands draft. And yes, I was pissed we did not get mack but we picked up another great defensive player. I would rather have picked up Rey Maualuga. He is my friend and really wanted to play for the STEELERS. We were all surprised when he fell out of the first round. You should have seen his face when he realized the Bungles drafted him. He was relieved to be drafted but not exactly a happy camper. Hometown boy out here made it to the NFL.

Not a bad first day just no big expensive names...we will get to face rey rey 2 times a year as a bengal as many times as we and others passed on him and other lighted names im inclined to trust the regimes gut feeling on it...we got what we needed to complete part 1 of a 3 part process...i could care less about big names and bigger dollars i want a winning team that works together not a primadonna fest...;)

I agree Gips......some guys always want the glitz players early and get upset when we go for the grunt players.

75% of winning is grunting yourself in to that position.

What value people dont see about the sanchez trade is we saved alot of $$$$$ trading down. There was no clear cut top picks this year. Trading down from 17 to 19 to 21 also saved us some $$$$ and thats whats its all about getting your player at the right pick for the right money

We didn't get schooled at all.

By trading the #5, we ended up with 2 starters and a decent QB. Couldn't get that in the draft.

We got #52 which ended up being a decent WR prospect in MM.

We also ended up with two FREE sixth rounders. Yes, FREE. Cost us NOTHING. They weren't going to be higher picks because both Philly and TB knew we weren't taking their guy and were reasonably sure they could have waited for them. They chose not to and gave up a low pick. How does that hurt us exactly?

And no, I'd rather not have Maclin and Rey and a guy who wasn't even drafted yesterday...

I dont need your help...but thanks...maybe i was bein a little harse but I thought you liked rey...maybe that was someone else. The Tampa trade is the leverage we had and lost...Tampa WANTED freeman...we could have said unless we get a fourth, we'll let Denver take him then hung up....they'd have called back. anyway now that the dust has settled for me...its an OK draft...Robiskie will be a nice # 2 who knows what we have in Massaqua....seems like "Quincy" hands a real possibility ...but I'm still disapointed we didn't get alonzo smith, or connor barwin or rey, or le sean mccoy, shonn green etc....

Tampa wanted Freeman and were likely to get him. They just GUARANTEED it by giving us the 6th. Chances were slim Denver was taking him which is why it was only a 6th. We could have followed your plan and got NOTHING in return and still picked Mack at 19. Then you would have said "I can't believe Kokinis picked Mack in the top 20! What an idiot!"

You do realize we weren't going to get ALL those guys you mentioned, right? We took the best WR left on the board and the one who is arguably the most ready to be a pro. He's a Mangini guy through-and-through. How can you seriously hate on this pick?

As for Shonne Greene, you also realize he wasn't picked at ALL yesterday, right? Meaning, he's still available?

Just curious: were you drinking heavily before you posted this thread?

The trade with the Jets could be very good - especially if Elam etc. wind up working out well for the Browns.

You can ask yourself which guys at 5 - 21 you might have otherwise picked up either with the Browns own pick - or the ones they traded back for as far as the overall notion of a trade or the surprising development of only getting 6th round picks for what probably should have been 4th and 5th round value trades.

That being said, if Kokinis and Mangini didn't see the value of drafting in those spots, they would have been willing to take less in return to move out and pick up a later pick.

Unfortunately there's still lots of value in the 4th and 5th round.... 6th and 7th round picks are often just a way to get a head start on rookie free agents - of which I'd expect the Browns will be very active in.

Overall I'd give the Browns points for trading back. Having chosen not to be active in free agency they needed to pick up as many quality rookies as possible. 4 in the top 52 overall isn't a bad thing.

Some people have tunnel vision and can't or refuse to see outside the box.

I think some people get ticked when the professional evaluators view players and needs differently then they do.

Rey is a good example. All year long people bought in to the hype and envisioned the next Ray Lewis, yet when the rubber met the road, he was the last starting USC backer selected.

Why is that???

The answer is in the first words of this post.

I agree Gips......some guys always want the glitz players early and get upset when we go for the grunt players.

75% of winning is grunting yourself in to that position.

What the hell are you talking about? Grunting yourself into a position? This draft has been good for you guys so far, but don't fool yourself. Most of what you might call your grunt players have sucked for the past decade.

What the hell are you talking about? Grunting yourself into a position? This draft has been good for you guys so far, but don't fool yourself. Most of what you might call your grunt players have sucked for the past decade.

Grunt players mean linemen....some people don't like taking linemen early.....I do.

I am for the pick ex-lax.

Thought maybe it was some cleveland language that only inbreds could understand. lol

Seriously though, good draft so far.

LOL.....you guys have been drafting grunts for years,and it has served you well.

No problems here.....glad I could tip you off on the secret language. :D

Solon, I agree with you 100%, We just got taken to school today, and this leads me to believe that Mangini is running everything with this team and Kokinis is just a figurehead..

Our biggest need was pass rusher and we got none, we needed a running back and we got none, a center and 2 wide receivers and a converted DE is not what I would have expected.

Tell me how many 2nd day picks make NFL rosters or any type of impact, we got a bunch of 6th round picks....whoooooooooo, if we are expected to build this team into a winner with a bunch of 2nd day picks we are in BIG TROUBLE

For the people who think we were smart to pass on Rey, just remember when Rey is playing in the Pro bowl what we could have had

This team still has no identity on defense, we have no linebackers who you can say are better than average, and don't tell me about all the tackles D'Qwell makes, the playmakers in a 3-4 are the LB's and who do we have at linebacker, Wimbley=BUST, Old Man Barton, Unproven=Hall.

This draft was TERRIBLE

Exactly... we're doing it the exact same way that the best teams do it. Not many big splashes, just get those hard working players.

Let me help.

- Tom F.

Flugs, I don't know where you got your information but the Steelers were not interested in taking Mack, they were going defensive line or wide receiver in the 1st round

Yea we picked up extra draft picks, but how many of these 2nd day picks are going to help this team, how many 6th round picks make NFL rosters

We got a average safety and backup defensive end from the jets, 2 guys who are stop gap players for a few years

Why pick 2 receivers when this team needed a running back to replace tip toe Lewis and a pass rusher that we still don't have

If this could have been worse I would have hate to see what these CLOWNS would have done

I did not like the Mangini hiring and after today I like it less

Seems to me Mangini is coach and GM and Kokinis just has a title but Mangini is the person making most of the decisions, thought I heard Lerner say after Butch Davis he did'nt want one person with all the power.

Archived