THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest Reach so far in this draft

Timugen

Biggest reach so far in this draft.  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which player has been the biggest reach so far in this draft?

• Tyson Jackson #3 (Chiefs)
    • Darrius Heyward-Bey #7 (Raiders)
    • Alphonso Smith #37 (Broncos)
    • Michael Mitchell #47 (Raiders again..surprise, surprise)
    • David Veikune #52 (Browns)
    • Other (please comment)

Just curious who everyone thinks is the biggest reach.

While they're all head-scratchers, the two that really stand out to me are Alphonso Smith (DEN traded a #1 next year to move up to get him) and Michael Mitchell (it's just Al being Al, I guess.)

Tyson by far......

When you compare height, wieght, overall athletic ability, and overall performance of Tyson Jackson and Ziggy Hood, you don't notice a huge difference. From what I have seen, they are very similiar in every combine category. The only noticable difference between the two is Hood did 34 bench press reps and the combine and Jackson did a whole 20 at his pro day. I can'ts figure out how these two were picked so far apart in the draft. Jackson at 3 and Hood at 32. Salary cap wise, I think Hood will prove to be a much better pick.

I agree on Tyson Jackson....I actually went back and forth with another poster on here the other day about how I don't think Jackson's worth anywhere near a top 5 pick and that any team that would pick him that high is insane.

But what really blows my mind is not just where Denver selected Alphonso Smith, but what they gave up to make that pick.

And the whole Michael Mitchell thing just makes me laugh. We were talking about him on here a couple days ago as a very late pick/ UDFA.....then Al takes him in the 2nd round....and TRADES UP to do so, at that. Who else was going to take him before the Raiders' next pick? <<<< Seriously. That's proof of Al's dementia, right there. NFL.com didn't even have a height, weight, or school (which they DID have for every other pick up to that point) listed for him on their live draft tracker when he was picked. Dude is a late round/UDFA crapshoot, but evidently not in Al Davis's book.

The Dolphins took Pat White with their mid second round pick. Thats pretty insane.

Oh, you mean Pat White, the guy who by all accounts THREW THE BALL BETTER THAN ANY OTHER QB AT THE COMBINE? The guy that they can stick in their WildDawg formation and actually be a threat to throw the ball and not let a safety cheat up?

Yeah...dumb pick because they have a HOF'er taking snaps before that pick.

Sorry, but I just think that they made a great pick and that Pat White got pigeon-holed by the "conventional wisdom" of the NFL into not being a QB despite the fact that he "wow"ed everyone at the combine and his pro day/workouts with his THROWING (you know...that thing that a QB does.)

Oh, you mean Pat White, the guy who by all accounts THREW THE BALL BETTER THAN ANY OTHER QB AT THE COMBINE? The guy that they can stick in their WildDawg formation and actually be a threat to throw the ball and not let a safety cheat up?

Sorry, but I just think that they made a great pick and that Pat White got pigeon-holed by the "conventional wisdom" of the NFL into not being a QB despite the fact that he "wow"ed everyone at the combine and his pro day/workouts with his THROWING (you know...that thing that a QB does.)

Pat White will not play qb in this league. Even he knows it, thats why he had to try to bring a bunch of other things to the table. He is trying to sell himself as a cribbs type of player and Cribbs went undrafted.

There are too many "ifs" with him to warrant a pick that high. He hopes to return kick/punts, play some receiver, and run WildDawg/trick plays. To me, that doesn't warrant a 2nd round pick. Not to mention they only thing he has proven he can do is run the WildDawg. He is worth a late 3rd at the most. Although, I knew some team would jump on him becuase they think he can be this amazing, all-around slash player.

Who know's? Maybe he will be will be a probowl return man and get invloved with 50%+ of the Dolphins offense's plays. (whether it be WildDawg, trick plays, receiver, or a bit of qb to act as a decoy)

He seems too small and won't see the field much more than Cribbs does.

I don't think Pat White was that much of a reach. He may not play quarterback, but he is a football player. The kid has moxy and makes plays. I'm not a WVU fan, but I saw him play enough to know (or at least think I know) that he will be a solid contributer at the next level.

On another note, Al Davis is officially bat shit crazy.

I guess I am they only one here who isn't all that high on Pat White. He has a chance to be good, but a mid second round pick is risking too much. You want to find players like LaMarr Woodley and Matt Forte in round 2. Not a WildDawg player. I could be wrong. I just think that thw WildDawg will lose the edge it gives the Dolphins if they try to run it 10+ times a game, every game.

Andre Smith was a reach at 6th overall IMO. top ten players should start year 1. there's a lot i don't like about him and don't think he'll be ready.

two guys i openly criticized and the Bengals took 'em both--i absolutely love it!

The Dolphins took Pat White with their mid second round pick. Thats pretty insane.

Yea but Silver, Chris Carter and the ESPN crew were just talking about an offense that Parcells has wanted to implement and now can with White. Good fit. Bascially it is a option type offense. 3 RB (Williams, Brown and White) and 2 of them can throw. Didn't Ronnie Brown throw for 2 TD's last year?

Let's hope they did - so we can at least thank ourselves for not hiring Pioli...

That is the FIRST thing I thought when I saw that pick.....passing on Curry for Jackson?? I STILL can't believe it. Now had they passed on him for a stud O Lineman I could understand, but...Jackson???

Mike

Parcel's has fallen in love with the WildDawg. They used it effectively last year and White just adds more fuel to that fire.

I think it's a great pick. This also makes it possible for the Dolphins to not have to keep a clipboard holde on the sideline.

I wouldn't call the Raiders 1st round pick the biggest reach. The kid is still a 1st round talent.

Their second round pick was the head scratcher. But now there are reports that he was going to go in the third so who knows?

Archived