THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Buccaneers Preseason Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did like how Hue got in his face after that play.

Overall, I'm thinking I may spend my Sundays fishing instead of getting pissed off watching this team. I still have a tiny glimmer of hope that something will happen on the defense before the season gets too far in but it is quickly diminishing. At least RG3 and Gordon are making some plays.

You guys can't expect Hue to turn it around this soon and you're putting way too much emphasis on winning these meaningless games than you should be. Granted the Browns have looked bad this evening, but it's an early season scrimmage. That's all. And considering how bad they look, the only way to go from here is up. Hue inherited a very undisciplined team, and it's gonna take time to iron these kinks out. Glad to hear he was getting in the face of some players. Hopefully he has the green light to waive players that don't adapt to his disciplined style.

If I were a Browns fan, I would go into this season looking for steady improvement as the season moves forward. Obviously the Browns looked bad tonight, but what really matters is what they look like in weeks 13-16 as compared to the early part of the season. Win or lose, staying healthy is key in determining what positions are in the greatest need of an upgrade.

The only problem I have with Hue so far was his emphasis on drafting a lot of WRs (in a weak WR class) and basically ignoring the lines. After losing C Alex Mack, I thought the Browns would possibly trade down again, pick up extra draft picks, and select C Ryan Kelly. There was also a slew of great DTs in this past drafft, so adding one of these guys to line up beside DT Danny Shelton seemed like a no-brainer. Don't take this the wrong way. The Browns desperately needed WR help so drafting Coleman in round one was a good move, but as the old saying goes, 'it starts up front' and that's where Hue lost his way. Look for the Browns to address their lines in next years draft/free agency.

As a side note. All of Browns Nation should do everything in their power to follow the team to Pittsburgh when the Browns face the Steelitists. Browns fans should pack Heinz Field full of orange and brown and shake that crappy stadium to the ground. It's time for all of Browns Nation to stand up to the piss and black right in their own backyard instead of bailing out every year when the team heads to the steel city. It's as if everything 'Browns' gets intimidated during this week and it's long overdue to overhaul this attitude and it starts with you fans. It's going to be a tough task to accomplish since the Browns don't have that much talent up front on either side of the ball, but it has to start sometime so why not now? Punch the Steelitists in the mouth!

You guys can't expect Hue to turn it around this soon and you're putting way too much emphasis on winning these meaningless games than you should. Granted the Browns have looked bad this evening, but it's an early season scrimmage. That's all. And considering how bad they look, the only way to go from here is up. Hue inherited a very undisciplined team, and it's gonna take time to iron these kinks out. Glad to hear he was getting in face of some players. Hopefully he has the green light to waive players that don't adapt to his disciplined style.

If I were a Browns fan, I would go into this season looking for steady improvement as the season moves forward. Obviously the Browns looked bad tonight, but what really matters is what they look like in weeks 13-16 as compared to the early part of the season. Win or lose, staying healthy is key in determining what positions are in the most need of an upgrade.

The only problem I have with Hue so far was his emphasis on drafting a lot of WRs (in a weak WR class) and basically ignoring the lines. After losing C Alex Mack, I thought the Browns would possibly trade down again, pick up extra draft picks, and select the C Ryan Kelly. There was also a slew of great DTs in this past drafft, so adding one of these guys to line up beside DT Danny Shelton seemed like a no-brainer. Don't take this the wrong way. The Browns desperately needed WR help so drafting Coleman in round one was a good move, but as the old saying goes, 'it starts up front' and that's where Hue lost his way. Look for the Browns to address their lines in next years draft/free agency.

As a side note. All of Browns Nation should do everything in their power to follow the team to Pittsburgh when they play the Steelitists. Browns fans should pack Heinz Field full of orange and brown and shake that crappy stadium to the ground. It's time for all of Browns Nation to stand up to the piss and black right in their own backyard instead of bailing out every year when the team heads to the steel city. It's as if everything 'Browns' wimps out during this week and it's long overdue to turn this attitude around and it starts with you fans. It's going to be a tough task to accomplish since the Browns don't have that much talent up front on either side of the ball, but it has to start sometime so why not now? Punch the Steelitists in the mouth!

Shut ... The fuck ... Up.

Z

Someone feeling a tad intimidated tonight?

No, someone feels like you are a complete homo and your posting about "Hue" like you know him is disturbing, and your obsession about our relationship with the Steelers is creepy. Come back when we actually play you.

Z

Tenn? You have lost your mind. Will be one of the worst runovers you ever saw with both Murray and Henry getting 100+ yds.

Fuck you, you Denver-loving douchebag.

You haven't earned the right to criticize our team on our board, your true colors are still in question.

We will roll Tennessee, Dicklicker.

Z

Fuck you, you Denver-loving douchebag.

You haven't earned the right to criticize our team on our board, your true colors are still in question.

We will roll Tennessee, Dicklicker.

Z

In your wet dreams maybe, but not in the reality of such a poor run defense. I call it as I see it. And Denver will not repeat. No decent experienced QB. So I can be critical of my other team as well.

In your wet dreams maybe, but not in the reality of such a poor run defense. I call it as I see it. And Denver will not repeat. No decent experienced QB. So I can be critical of my other team as well.

We will beat the fuck out of Tennessee and you like dicks.

Z

I understand Browns fans being impatient with the reboot.

But for a Broncos fan to come in here and openly root for the Titans to roll us and tell us we are going to "shit the bed again" ... You need to find another place to talk football fuckface.

Zombo

-- oh no, I just projected you being a fuckface. My face must want to fuck

But for a Broncos fan to come in here and openly root for the Titans to roll us and tell us we are going to "shit the bed again" ... You need to find another place to talk football fuckface.

Zombo

Get some rest Z. I'm not rooting for them to beat us. I'm just watching what those two backs are doing last week and tonight and combining that with what I see in the Browns lack of a run defense. I am a realist whether it is Denver, the Browns or my hapless Aggies. I'm a football fan, especially when it comes to defense. And I take the really long view on the Browns. Build that D and the rest will fall in place. But I see that as a 3-5 year project, not a 3-5 game one. And I am thinking that the Browns have a great shot with those two 1st rounders for one of them to be Myles Garrett, best defender we have had since Von Miller and one of the 4-5 best in our history. He could change everything for the Browns if we add a LB or two to the mix and run the 4-3.

Get some rest Z. I'm not rooting for them to beat us. I'm just watching what those two backs are doing last week and tonight and combining that with what I see in the Browns lack of a run defense. I am a realist whether it is Denver, the Browns or my hapless Aggies. I'm a football fan, especially when it comes to defense. And I take the really long view on the Browns. Build that D and the rest will fall in place. But I see that as a 3-5 year project, not a 3-5 game one. And I am thinking that the Browns have a great shot with those two 1st rounders for one of them to be Myles Garrett, best defender we have had since Von Miller and one of the 4-5 best in our history. He could change everything for the Browns if we add a LB or two to the mix and run the 4-3.

It's preseason. When has preseason ever meant anything? You've got us taking an assbeating against a 3-12 team because you have a hard-on for some running backs? Go find a Titans board and suck their dicks like you sucked Johnny's.

Z

As much as I hated last nights performance, page 7 of this thread has made me lol multiple times........ I enjoy the little things.

You guys can't expect Hue to turn it around this soon and you're putting way too much emphasis on winning these meaningless games than you should be. Granted the Browns have looked bad this evening, but it's an early season scrimmage. That's all. And considering how bad they look, the only way to go from here is up. Hue inherited a very undisciplined team, and it's gonna take time to iron these kinks out. Glad to hear he was getting in the face of some players. Hopefully he has the green light to waive players that don't adapt to his disciplined style.

If I were a Browns fan, I would go into this season looking for steady improvement as the season moves forward. Obviously the Browns looked bad tonight, but what really matters is what they look like in weeks 13-16 as compared to the early part of the season. Win or lose, staying healthy is key in determining what positions are in the greatest need of an upgrade.

The only problem I have with Hue so far was his emphasis on drafting a lot of WRs (in a weak WR class) and basically ignoring the lines. After losing C Alex Mack, I thought the Browns would possibly trade down again, pick up extra draft picks, and select C Ryan Kelly. There was also a slew of great DTs in this past drafft, so adding one of these guys to line up beside DT Danny Shelton seemed like a no-brainer. Don't take this the wrong way. The Browns desperately needed WR help so drafting Coleman in round one was a good move, but as the old saying goes, 'it starts up front' and that's where Hue lost his way. Look for the Browns to address their lines in next years draft/free agency.

As a side note. All of Browns Nation should do everything in their power to follow the team to Pittsburgh when the Browns face the Steelitists. Browns fans should pack Heinz Field full of orange and brown and shake that crappy stadium to the ground. It's time for all of Browns Nation to stand up to the piss and black right in their own backyard instead of bailing out every year when the team heads to the steel city. It's as if everything 'Browns' gets intimidated during this week and it's long overdue to overhaul this attitude and it starts with you fans. It's going to be a tough task to accomplish since the Browns don't have that much talent up front on either side of the ball, but it has to start sometime so why not now? Punch the Steelitists in the mouth!

Really. Literally. Shut the fuck up.

If we wanted anymore lip outta u we'd pull it off our zippers.

11b3gg8.gif

Zombo

Aw gee, someone don't agree with you and you're getting all POed? Name calling is for Ghoolie- or kids. Sober up, calm down. That game was such an abomination- I didn't even bother to watch the last 25 minutes of it. there was nothing to be gained by seeing McCown toss passes to Gabriel he couldn't catch or the secondary looking like they had cement boots on.

Aw gee, someone don't agree with you and you're getting all POed? Name calling is for Ghoolie- or kids. Sober up, calm down. That game was such an abomination- I didn't even bother to watch the last 25 minutes of it. there was nothing to be gained by seeing McCown toss passes to Gabriel he couldn't catch or the secondary looking like they had cement boots on.

I will never fucking calm down, I will never stop being passionate about this team, and I will never stop "name calling" with fans of other teams shitting on the Browns.

It's not that he disagrees with me .... he's on our board, fucking with our team ... so therefore I am going to fuck with him like I have been doing for 20 years ... or are you new here?

As far the "abomination" .. it was a preseason game ... we are basically starting from scratch: new coaches, new systems, new players, tons of rookies ... what were you expecting in a preseason game? I'd be surprised if they weren't struggling to find out what is going to work for them at this early point.

We hit the reset button. Hard. You guys just need to deal with it and quit being bitter beer faces like someone stole your favorite toy. You know the drill. This is the beginning. There will be growing pains, but I'm going to support this new venture from the get-go, whining about it doesn't make it fun for me, watching improvement is going to make it fun for me ... and it's going to happen, then, Lord have mercy, I don't know what you guys will have to bitch about.

Zombo

Really looking forward to that Fri nite dinner... :)

what I saw in last night's debacle, was

3. Danny Shelton is ready to come into big time play

4. The Bucs are so deep in high talent, game planning is a must, and even then....tough deal.

Agree with all the eliminated notes...

Still reserving judgement on Danny.

Found #4 especially thought provoking. Given its lack of "game planning", pre-season is a real talent check. Then I realized how few Buc starters I could name, especially on D, and just got depressed.

No immediate 2016 gratification - but the foundation is there ...

for the first time.

You don't have a winning team by having the wrong players and adding

a few right players. It doesn't work.

To dramatically remold this team into a TEAM, you have to have all

the players on the same page.

No more coddling prima donna figureheads, chronic irresponsible behavior, players that

don't give a frak..... etc etc etc.

starting over, for the first time, the right way..... takes time.

Say, we could all pitch in, start a fund, and hire Westside to sing the "Be Patient" song. Coffee and root beer for everybody !

https://youtu.be/6eX3fiQLo84

While I totally agree that pre-season "vanilla" for both teams reveals on field talent, or lack there of, but it doesn't account for a huge part of the game that can offset a talent deficit and that's play design and play calling.

So hopefully, Hue's design and play calling on offense will help equal things out come game day, but as for the defense, man I just don't know?

Say, we could all pitch in, start a fund, and hire Westside to sing the "Be Patient" song. Coffee and root beer for everybody !

https://youtu.be/6eX3fiQLo84

WSS as Axle Rose singing "Just a little Patient" running out the Tunnel..Sign us up..But we can only do the whistle solo ;)

No immediate 2016 gratification - but the foundation is there ...

for the first time.

You don't have a winning team by having the wrong players and adding

a few right players. It doesn't work.

To dramatically remold this team into a TEAM, you have to have all

the players on the same page.

No more coddling prima donna figureheads, chronic irresponsible behavior, players that

don't give a frak..... etc etc etc.

Cal- Mud said it best in another thread. Vanilla vs. Vanilla- and we got killed. I hope you have the patience to stomach a 2 win season- or worse. I hope I'm wrong.

I just hope no one gets hurt. RG3 needs to keep his on a swivel. Seems like our line is worse than the one he played behind in his 2 nd year in washington. Doesn't bode well for rejuvenating one's career when ur head is smashed every other 10 minutes.

Cal- Mud said it best in another thread. Vanilla vs. Vanilla- and we got killed. I hope you have the patience to stomach a 2 win season- or worse. I hope I'm wrong.

oh, that reminds me - I have to talk to Canton Mike about buying some Browns 2016 playoff tickets ...

I never, ever, never give up.

It was a very bad matchup. and they saw what the Browns had been doing two games previous.

No worries. they'll get there. No paper bags over my head.

It was a very bad matchup. and they saw what the Browns had been doing two games previous.

No worries. they'll get there. No paper bags over my head.

lol... as if we did not see what they did?

And who needs a paper bag when they already are wearing a blindfold... B)

Ok guys, time to report in. I actually had great seats for the game, and it's extremely disappointing that the game wasn't better. I was sitting 23 rows up at the 25 yard line, so no complaints there. About the ONLY good thing was that Josh Gordon caught our only touchdown RIGHT in front of me. He had a slight push off, but made an absurd adjustment for the catch. Good lord that guy is special. Please Josh, please don't torture us any more and keep it together.

As we always say, it's only preseason. It's important to remember that when things are going well, and when they aren't. We don't want to jump to any rash outlooks after the 3rd preseason game. That being said, I have to agree with people that say the "progress" we made was deeply disturbing for many different reasons.

Right away I noticed our pass rush was nonexistent. I mean, who in the heck is going to get to the QB on a consistent basis? Winston had ALL DAY to throw the ball, and even if we flushed him from the pocket, we had no chance at getting him. The play that sticks out to me was the touchdown Winston threw at the goal line. Initially we had great coverage, and we eventually flushed Winston from the pocket. I forget who, but somebody had pursuit of Winston and drove him to the sideline. It looked like we had a chance to push him out of bounds or force a throw away, but our defender dove about ten minutes early and COMPLETELY whiffed on the tackle. I mean, he wasn't even close. If our defender just pursues the QB and doesn't dive like a moron, MAYBE he hurries Winston up and he throws it away or runs out of bounds. It was truly awful.

RG III's numbers don't look bad on paper, but in person is a totally different story. He looked indecisive and timid. The first bomb to Gordon was an ugly ball, and he was WIDE open. Whenever a receiver is THAT open, I can understand just wanting to complete the pass and maybe taking something off of it, but that throw was BAD. A decent toss, not even a good one, would've given Josh the chance to make a move on the safety and score. The safety had the angle, and probably would've gotten him, but Josh is special. Pushing him to the sideline with that pass was not the throw he should've made. He could've lead him a bit inside on an underthrow, and THAT would've been better. The other bomb to Gordon was a decent throw for sure, and Gordon was able to slightly push off and make the absurd catch. You take those away, and Griffin didn't do much. He was sacked five times (four when Joe Thomas left), but the sacks weren't always the result of awful protection. I haven't seen the bird's eye view to know whether or not RG III made the wrong reads, but I can pretty much guess that he didn't get rid of the ball on time on several of those sack plays.

Penalties...need I say more? These killed so many drives and extended others for Bucs. Sickening.

Danny Shelton is slowly coasting down the busy road of "Browns First Round Bust Drive". Yes, I know he had a forced fumble (that we somehow didn't carry into the end zone...ugh), but this guy was the freaking #12 pick of the damn draft! Can somebody PLEASE tell me what Shelton does that other people in the league can't. Oh, he takes up space? Are you telling me that there aren't other huge DT's in the league? Have you EVER seen Shelton burst through the line and harass the QB? Maybe once? Listen, I understand that he's about to begin his second year, so it's a bit premature to label him as being like just about every other first round nightmare, but I don't see it. I just don't.

Justin Gilbert. Uh...not encouraging. Don't want to say he completely sucked, as I believe he had a nice pass break up early, but he didn't impress. Lots of DB's have been torched by Mike Evans and Vince Jackson, so it's not completely fair to judge him from this game. But...I'd like to see more. A big play, a turnover...something. He's the #8 pick btw.

Did I mention no pass rush?

We stopped the run a little better I thought.

Coons made all of his kicks (I think).

Running game looked just ok. No huge runs that I saw, and penalties effectively halted any progress made in that department. A holding penalty means punt for our team, I promise you that. At one time we had several 3rd and VERY longs in a row. I remember one 3rd and 16 where we completed a 4 yard pass. Ho-hum. I know that's pretty common for NFL teams to do on 3rd and a mile, but I was hoping for some risk taking.

Hue Jackson hasn't really shown any trick plays in the preseason (that I can think of), and that's not a total surprise. Coach wouldn't want to give anything away when it doesn't count, but still...we looked VERY vanilla.

I'll write more later, but we don't have much time to get this taste out of our mouth and get ready for the real deal. In case you haven't noticed, we don't exactly shine in season openers. Sam Bradford can be a pretty accurate passer if he has time, and guess what? He's going to have PLENTY of time when he plays us.

Archived