THE BROWNS BOARD

Best Songs by One Hit Wonders

Love sugarloaf - they had another song named "Dont call us" too that was pretty good -

heres my 70s radio hit- I think it was a one hit wonder too?

xylophone guy just shreds.... well in xylophone fashion

That wasn't a xylophone in that song, it was a marimba played by Bobby "Bo" Wagner who was one of the original Mousekateers.

Thing about OHWs is some live on, but many are so forgettable...

Prime example of the latter include ones like Hippy Hippy Shake by The Swinging Blue Jeans. Part of "the British Invasion" IIRC... Hell I bought (and still have) the 45. Pure Beatles coattails crap... what was I thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Loo99IUUA

Example of the former is The Easy Beats' Friday on my Mind... still stands up today.

And there are those where the OHW was the only decent thing on the LP...

Again, some at least are still listenable...

While others... not so much...

When I was in easy street we got extremely drunk with these guys after the gig at the Cleveland Agora.

Ah.... The Agora... weren't there two locations to boot at one time?

Also loved "The Smiling Dog Salon" on W 25th IIRC... which brings to mind another breed of OHW... one who never recorded one, but wrote one. I think Buzzy qualifies when Bette Midler recorded "Friends". Although he wrote another minor hit that Carly Simon improved a tad...

Buzzy remains one of my favorite "live" performers of all time... despite being born in Pittsburgh. He was saved by enrolling in the Cleveland Music Settlement. Played with pure joy... very good guitarist... even better on the xylophone. The latter got him into session work with Hendrix among others.

As I recall a friend of mine bought the marmalade greatest hits or best of album whichever it was called and it did not have that song on it.

I can remember thinking "a new Bee Gees" song when I first heard that...

I can remember thinking "a new Bee Gees" song when I first heard that...

Actually here is your Bee Gees alone. I think Barry Gibb may have written this (even though he didn't they were just fellow Australians) and as you're listening you can sing I started a joke right over the chord line.

WSS

For all things music.... allmusic.com

Toast and Marm... is credited to Steve Groves, but in their bio...

Comprised of members Steve Kipner (keyboards, percussion, vocals), Steve Groves (guitars, percussion, vocals), Johnny Vallins (bass, guitar, vocals), and Geoff Bridgford (drums), the obscure Australian pop/rock band Tin Tin formed in 1968. They issued a pair of albums in the early '70s -- a self-titled debut from 1970 (which spawned the single "Toast and Marmalade for Tea") and 1971's sophomore effort, Astral Taxi -- both of which were produced by the Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb, who also played assorted instruments. The quartet broke up in 1973.

Archived