THE BROWNS BOARD

Best Songs by One Hit Wonders

Some really good songs have been done by One Hit Wonders. Name some of your favorite one hit wonder songs.

Come On Eileen....by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

NaNaNaNaNa Goodbye....Steam

Fire....Crazy World of Arthur Brown

We Ain't Got Nothin Yet...Blues Magoos

Eve of Destruction, Barry McGuire

Funky Town ...Lipps Inc.

Lookin' for Love....Johnny Lee

Funky Poodle...Wild Horses

Walking in Memphis....Marc Cohn

OMC....How Bizarre

What is Love....Haddaway

Well in ain't In the Year 2525 by Zager and Evans... or Eve of Destruction...

So many "novelty" hits, (Alley Oop, Monster Mash, etc.) that they deserve their own category.

I love this one.. its just uber cool!

Sugarloaf had something there... great "sound"...

First to come to my mind: Blues Image's Ride Captain Ride...

But one that I listen to a lot is Dee-Lite's Groove is in the Heart... Far from a techno-pop guy, but I bought their CD World Clique out of a cut out bin and it's a flat out fun CD. I've started "road trips" with it for years since it wards off speeding tickets. Stupidstition? Absolutely, but first time I did it I was pulled over and only given a verbal warning... a first for me.

The Knack's My Sharonna was catchy... Cossell doomed the group calling them "the next Beatles" on his (thankfully) short-lived variety show, "Saturday Night Live". He beat SNL to the name... that's why Chevy's intro was always "Live from New York... It's Saturday Night!"

Old one I loved was The Cyrcle's Red Rubber Ball... kinda Up with People-ish, but WTF...

Buffalo Springfield only had one, For What It's Worth... may have impacted me the most of the OHW's...

The longest one has to be MacArthur Park "sung" by Richard Harris...

So many... so little time...

I don't think that For What It's worth was Buffalo Springfield's only hit song. Need to check.

Well, That is the only song of their's that hit the Top Ten. A couple of others hit Top 50. Their albums also were not Top Sellers at the time.

But their influence as we know was beyond the pale. They are in the RRHOF....and you don't get there without being well respected.

Hello, Mr. Soul was a minor hit for them IIRC...

Retrospective was their "Greatest Hits"... only thing I ever owned by them.

In other words, "What's the definition of 'hit'?"

You're the Pro... what say ye?

Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?

WSS

Well cracking the top 100 is an accomplishment to be sure even better the top 50. I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10? I'm not sure that would have anything to do with my opinion but... Somebody mentioned funky poodle and I don't think it charted nationally at all, did it?

WSS

Hit locally. There is a factor. A song can be a big hit in some quarters.....but not much elsewhere.

Anyway, here it is. A great song imo.

I would guess maybe a big hit should be top 10?

Works for me...

A couple more candidates... any one mention Whip It yet? Not a personal fav, but Ohio boys... Akron area IIRC.

... or Thomas Dolby? Actually the entire LP, The Golden Age of Wireless, was pretty solid... and the SQ was great... although not quite in Alan Parson's league. APP's I Robot on vinyl has to be heard to be believed.

Archived