THE BROWNS BOARD

"What Browns Fans want, Browns fans get" ????

Guest ATENEARS

Dilfer says that Lerner listens to the loacl radio shows and panics to fill seats based on fan reaction.

I'm sick ... that was Modell's biggest flaw.

Now I am more than certain that they read this board too.

I agree Aten.....but face it.....most people are clueless.

Yep...and I would include Crennelephant in the category of "most people."

It's pretty funny though - now Crennelephant is actually going to have to acknowledge that Brady Quinn does indeed exist, is on the Browns, and will have to refer to him by name. I bet he just loves that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The move was made because we can't keep going on which DA will show up. DA is rank 31st in the league for a reason. Yes there have been drops but they needed to shake things up and putting in a new QB does that. Get over it. RAC and savage should be gone. Bring cowher or marty.

Guest Masters
Dilfer says that Lerner listens to the loacl radio shows and panics to fill seats based on fan reaction.

Yeah, Model listened to the fans? That's why he let BB bench Bernie and then cut him......

And no Inspecta, they didn't say CLE's FO office (or any in the oranization) actually said they were listening to the fans. That was the assertions of the talking heads.

Wow, people are getting their panties in a bunch based on speculation that was said from the MNF crew??? Are you serious??? I think I'll hold off on judgement on why they made the switch, till I hear it from someone in the front office, not Tony Cornblower and the rest of that sorry MNF crew. Also, you can't believe everything Mortenson says either, he throws shit out there all the time hoping something sticks and is true. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just went to nfl.com and there is a video you all need to watch. It is 1:34 seconds long and its from the nfl network and they explain why the move was made. Not once did they say because of the fans. They nailed it perfect. So everybody calm down.

Guest ATENEARS

Ok Shep, the Browns made the decision with no official statement. Their story on their web site sheds very little light on any 'official reason'

Mortenson called the browns for an official word and obviously someone there stated something about not wanting a hostile crowd for the National Televised game on Thursday, so they made the switch.

... but what I really believe they meant was that this is the best time to make it, with many out injured and three days before kickoff with minimal time to prepare, because waiting until Friday to make the decision would give the coaching staff 10 days to prepare Quinn for the next Sunday game, and that would just make too much sense.

This is about the dumbest time the entire season to make the switch, and on the heels of the defense blowing a big lead and their #1 Receiver dropping crucial passes.

It was made with the NFL Network in mind and the Home town crowd growing restless for boy wonder.

Ok Shep, the Browns made the decision with no official statement. Their story on their web site sheds very little light on any 'official reason'

Mortenson called the browns for an official word and obviously someone there stated something about not wanting a hostile crowd for the National Televised game on Thursday, so they made the switch.

... but what I really believe they meant was that this is the best time to make it, with many out injured and three days before kickoff with minimal time to prepare, because waiting until Friday to make the decision would give the coaching staff 10 days to prepare Quinn for the next Sunday game, and that would just make too much sense.

This is about the dumbest time the entire season to make the switch, and on the heels of the defense blowing a big lead and their #1 Receiver dropping crucial passes.

It was made with the NFL Network in mind and the Home town crowd growing restless for boy wonder.

Go to nfl.com and get over it already. RAC and BQ will be available for comment tomorrow. That's what I read. That's why everything is quiet.

I'm with Shep on this, there's no way anyone from the Browns made a comment like that. Well. . . maybe somebody like Shaun Smith or Kellen Winslow. . . but not the front office. Savage, whether you like him or not, is always very careful to say the right things. He isn't going to say that. You may question his talent-scouting abilities, but he's a good dude.

Crennel 'might' say something like that, but it would certainly be tongue-in-cheek.

Wait until something official comes out. This is unreal.

Is DA done in Cleveland? Man I hope so, and I’m sure DA does too. Do you fans ever wonder what all the reasons were for the last team getting the heck out of town? Do you think maybe one of the reasons was the fact that the “fans” in Cleveland are just a tad dim. Like maybe a 10 watt light bulb. They maybe wanted a fan base that was just a bit brighter, like maybe a 100 watt bulb. Do you remember at all the New York game. That game proved what everybody but a Cleveland fan knows. Football is a TEAM game. Everybody played a good game and we won. Joe Montana couldn’t win with the players on this team. Don’t you folks get it??? DA isn’t the best but he’s good enough to win with good players. Players that do their job. Like catch the ball, run the proper route, block their man, carry out a fake, etc. etc.. He had one interception in what, 135 attempts. It came at a bad time but watch the tape. Are you sure it was all his fault. I lived in Cleveland for a long time and I love the Browns. This addition as well as the originals. You fans aren’t the reason I had to move, but man, you guys are sick. Absofreekinglutley whacko. Maybe BQ does well or maybe he doesn’t. But just like DA, if he doesn’t do well it won’t be because he didn’t do the best that he could. According to you “fans”, if a player doesn’t live up to your expectations he’s a failure. I think that most of you people are a failure yourself and your miserable life sucks and you just can’t stand the fact that someone you don’t approve of, is about twenty times the man you are. If DA doesn’t play another down in the NFL he will have a better life then most of you ever dream about. He’s got a good education from a fine University (that has thumped the Doamers pretty good twice) and more money then you would make in ten life times. So, on behalf of all the players that you try to dump on, TAKE A HIKE!!!

C'mon, if that was true, Quinn would have been starting week 2.

Besides, we sell out every game. Why would he panic about filling seats?

Is DA done in Cleveland? Man I hope so, and I’m sure DA does too. Do you fans ever wonder what all the reasons were for the last team getting the heck out of town? Do you think maybe one of the reasons was the fact that the “fans” in Cleveland are just a tad dim. Like maybe a 10 watt light bulb. They maybe wanted a fan base that was just a bit brighter, like maybe a 100 watt bulb. Do you remember at all the New York game. That game proved what everybody but a Cleveland fan knows. Football is a TEAM game. Everybody played a good game and we won. Joe Montana couldn’t win with the players on this team. Don’t you folks get it??? DA isn’t the best but he’s good enough to win with good players. Players that do their job. Like catch the ball, run the proper route, block their man, carry out a fake, etc. etc.. He had one interception in what, 135 attempts. It came at a bad time but watch the tape. Are you sure it was all his fault. I lived in Cleveland for a long time and I love the Browns. This addition as well as the originals. You fans aren’t the reason I had to move, but man, you guys are sick. Absofreekinglutley whacko. Maybe BQ does well or maybe he doesn’t. But just like DA, if he doesn’t do well it won’t be because he didn’t do the best that he could. According to you “fans”, if a player doesn’t live up to your expectations he’s a failure. I think that most of you people are a failure yourself and your miserable life sucks and you just can’t stand the fact that someone you don’t approve of, is about twenty times the man you are. If DA doesn’t play another down in the NFL he will have a better life then most of you ever dream about. He’s got a good education from a fine University (that has thumped the Doamers pretty good twice) and more money then you would make in ten life times. So, on behalf of all the players that you try to dump on, TAKE A HIKE!!!

go to nfl.com and get the facts. DA is a good backup and that's it. sorry to burst your bubble.

Do you think maybe one of the reasons was the fact that the “fans” in Cleveland are just a tad dim. Like maybe a 10 watt light bulb.

Adieu, bandwagon a-hole.

Let's see hmmmmmmm...

Derek Anderson IS the 31st rated Quarterback (the Browns Fans didn't create the QB rating system)

BROWNS FANS made the decision (according to *****, who cares!)

You don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to see a change needs to be made there.

What is Brady Quinn going to do, become the 32nd rated Quarterback?

Jeez man...are we going to drop out of the playoff race? LOL

I'm just sick about this!! Who benches the lowest rated passer in the NFL at the halfway point?

Unheard of!

Just unheard of.........."What a chickenshit organization." Browns fans are stupid! Why shouldn't we continue with the worst starting QB in the league....Just disgusting how they handled it.....lfmao, what a load of CRAP!@

Yeah, Model listened to the fans? That's why he let BB bench Bernie and then cut him......

And no Inspecta, they didn't say CLE's FO office (or any in the oranization) actually said they were listening to the fans. That was the assertions of the talking heads.

Actually, the authoritative word I have is Bernie punched BB....and he should have been cut.

I liked Bernie.....but that can't happen.

Guest ATENEARS
This is going well for you?

I have no idea where you're coming from on this. I really don't.

What part do you not understand?

Mortenson came on with his inside info stating that the Browns were making a decision to go with Quinn because it was what the fans wanted. Do you think I made up the gay chant up, "What Browns fans want, Browns fans get?" I also heard reports that the NFL Network asked/forced the change to improve ratings for Thursday. What I haven't heard is the Browns word.

Braylon Edwards also leads the league in dropped passes, it's logical to put his ass on the trade wire or just flat out sit his dumbass, but has that happened? It was kind of dumb to discipline Winslow and shut him up about getting staph infection too ... and then have Savage miss the press Conference, do you have some logic to explain all of that away too? The huge fine of a game day check, to giving in to Jim Brown and others to reduce it and doing so, but not in time to have him a apart of plans for the game. Dial back to the Frye coin flip, the Tom Collins power struggle .... is anything with this team by the book?

Anything that comes from the pieholes of Kornholer and Gayrico is nothing but 100% fudge covered horse dung.

If the front office was listening to the fans, Quinn would have started after the Squeeler game.

Doug

C'mon, if that was true, Quinn would have been starting week 2.

Besides, we sell out every game. Why would he panic about filling seats?

I doubt very much they would be doing this (BQ) for the fans. They could play in front of an empty stadium and still make millions.

Also, how many successful coaches do you know of that make decisions based on what the crowd wants. Right. Zippo. If it does happen I hope BQ does well. I have little faith that DA would ever become a consistent Pro Bowl starter but I have even less for BQ. He’s got the body of a Power Ranger, but he just looks soft to me. Hope I’m wrong.

This is starting to feel like one of the National Enquirer Trailer Park Edition posts on the political board.

Have the Browns released a statement that they made the switch to appease the fans? That Anderson's league low passer rating was just what the team needed, but the fans didn't seem to understand that strategy?

I'm gonna go with... uh, no. They didn't say it because nobody would ever say that.

So if they have plenty of reasons for benching Anderson... and they never said they did it to appease the fans...

What is this thread about again?

If anyone believes that the fans are responsible for DA's benching then they are just crazy. That is as bad as believing the bullshit fliers stating that democrats are supposed to vote on Wednesday. The NFL is getting to be the worst goddamn soap opera in America. I just want to watch the Browns freakin' win a game without looking like a bad news bears franchise. Is that too much to ask? For the love of God.

What is worst?

Deciding who QB's by coin flip?

or

Allowing the fans and public opinion to choose the QB?

I hope Savage flips a coin after every loss as to whether he should fire Crennell or not. icon_e_smile.gif

Look I like DA, but it's time to move on. Even if our receivers had caught every ball in the same area code they were in, Anderson's completion percentage would still be mediocre. Yeah, I saw him throw a perfect bomb that Edwards dropped, I also saw him throw 10X more passes that game in the dirt, or behind people.

When we needed the guy to step up and win the game for us, what's he do? Throws a pick 6 that puts the game away for the Ratbirds. In case you don't remember, he did the same stinking thing in the first Ratbird game. Mr. Clutch he ain't- I posited this originally to WPB, but I'll repeat it here. Since I'm getting old and senile, I can't ever remember Anderson leading a clutch 4th quarter comeback. So if he has, someone out there refresh my memory.

Add in to function effectively, DA needs absolutely bulletproof protection- any half-assed NFL qb can look great in those circumstances BTW. He may get the ball out quickly, but he's slow on his reads, and doesn't see the field well. Ron Jaworski ran some tape on him demonstrating him totally missing wide open WRs.

PS, and I don't mean Phil Savage, could the NFL have leaned on the Browns to start Quinn to boost TV ratings? Not outside of the realm of possibility in my book. More likely, the Browns wanted to spare DA (and themselves) the embarrassment of hearing the 110db boos & Brady chants the first time Anderson screwed up on national TV.

I just want to say that we DO NOT suck!

Pittsburgh sucks and Michigan blows

and we just get caught in the cross wind icon_lol.gif

I'm a big BQ fan. I think he may not be quite as good as DA is right now, but he will get better with practice and time. DA on the otherhand, I don't believe will ever get any better than he is. DA is a great backup QB, but not a franchise player. Only time will tell, but I think BQ may have franchise player potential. Maybe we would have had a better handle on that if RC had started him in the last game of the year last year (a game that was virtually meaningless for us). They could have told DA to sit down, get rested for the playoffs (if we make it) and let BQ get some practice. RC said he didn't want to mess with DA's head. I say if his head is that fragile, we don't want him anyway. Of course that was RC's decission - the same guy who decided that Charlie Frye was our starting quarterback last season; his decission-making track record doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

interesting video from mortenson and dilfer. I am sure public PR perception has something to do with the decision making and this in all likelyhood did come from lerner. RAC to his detriment does not abandon people or concepts easily. Savage seems pretty intent on the direction he was taking our current players.

Only time will tell if the Owner( and a majority of fans) or Savage and crennel were right. My bet is still on Savage.... not so much with Crennel.

What I want as a fan:

1. Not to be embarrassed by my team's performance. This includes coaching and stupid penalties. ESPECIALLY in games against the Steelers and the Ravens.

2. Beat the Steelers and Raven's a minimum of once per season. I'd prefer that the Browns intimidate these two teams thoroughly every single time they meet, but as an absolute minimum, beating them once a season is tolerable.

3. Play hard every minute of every game. (If I remember right, I think this means about 18 minutes of actual effort during plays per game.)

4. No excuses.

5. A monster like Rogers sitting on the opponent's QB at least once a half.

The statement "What Browns fans want, Browns fans get" is just a violation of rule #1 and somewhat insulting. It presumes that we are stupid enough to believe that's the real reason for the decision. If it IS the really reason for the decision, we're worse off than I thought. An awareness of the fan base is essential but decisions need to be made because they're the foundation for sound football.

I'd prefer no "twelve men on the field" penalties. I'd prefer no "through the fingers" dropped passes from BE. I'd prefer Anderson being able to make those little swing passes to the TE without the ball falling short of the receiver. I'd prefer either Jurevicius or Stallworth (or both) being healthy. I'd prefer a powerful, unstoppable RB. The list is long.

As for the real reason BQ is starting...

The real reason SHOULD be that, barring a miracle, the playoffs are out of reach and we need to see what he can do NOW so we can make decisions about trades and the draft.

What I'd LOVE to see is BQ step in and show real virtuosity like a few other rookie QBs. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

What I want as a fan:

1. Not to be embarrassed by my team's performance. This includes coaching and stupid penalties. ESPECIALLY in games against the Steelers and the Ravens.

2. Beat the Steelers and Raven's a minimum of once per season. I'd prefer that the Browns intimidate these two teams thoroughly every single time they meet, but as an absolute minimum, beating them once a season is tolerable.

3. Play hard every minute of every game. (If I remember right, I think this means about 18 minutes of actual effort during plays per game.)

4. No excuses.

5. A monster like Rogers sitting on the opponent's QB at least once a half.

The statement "What Browns fans want, Browns fans get" is just a violation of rule #1 and somewhat insulting. It presumes that we are stupid enough to believe that's the real reason for the decision. If it IS the really reason for the decision, we're worse off than I thought. An awareness of the fan base is essential but decisions need to be made because they're the foundation for sound football.

I'd prefer no "twelve men on the field" penalties. I'd prefer no "through the fingers" dropped passes from BE. I'd prefer Anderson being able to make those little swing passes to the TE without the ball falling short of the receiver. I'd prefer either Jurevicius or Stallworth (or both) being healthy. I'd prefer a powerful, unstoppable RB. The list is long.

As for the real reason BQ is starting...

The real reason SHOULD be that, barring a miracle, the playoffs are out of reach and we need to see what he can do NOW so we can make decisions about trades and the draft.

What I'd LOVE to see is BQ step in and show real virtuosity like a few other rookie QBs. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

Well, Steve Young said he thinks Quinn can be a top 15 type QB in his first season of full time starting. That would mean he would rank about twice as high as DA, so putting two and two together means it should add up to more wins. That's just me.

I just want to say that we DO NOT suck!

Pittsburgh sucks and Michigan blows

and we just get caught in the cross wind icon_lol.gif

I'm a big BQ fan. I think he may not be quite as good as DA is right now, but he will get better with practice and time. DA on the otherhand, I don't believe will ever get any better than he is. DA is a great backup QB, but not a franchise player. Only time will tell, but I think BQ may have franchise player potential. Maybe we would have had a better handle on that if RC had started him in the last game of the year last year (a game that was virtually meaningless for us). They could have told DA to sit down, get rested for the playoffs (if we make it) and let BQ get some practice. RC said he didn't want to mess with DA's head. I say if his head is that fragile, we don't want him anyway. Of course that was RC's decission - the same guy who decided that Charlie Frye was our starting quarterback last season; his decission-making track record doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Well, Colin Cowturd was tooting his own horn so loud on ESPN this morning, he almost blew it apart it. "I told you so" in spades. CC is a left coaster, and did see about all of DA's college games. Said the guy was an interception machine, and couldn't step up to the plate when it mattered. Unfortunately, I have to agree with Mr. Blowhard for once.

Archived