THE BROWNS BOARD

Changes in Game Plan for Quinn?

Greythan

What will we see on Thursday?

Dump off left, dump off right, dump off left, dump off right.

Basically Charlie Frye, reincarnated.

More than DA can do, unless you count a defensive end as a target.

I would expect to see more play action roll outs, regular bootlegs, swing passes, screens, slants, 10-15 yard outs and come backs.

And it isn't like Quinn cannot throw the deep ball.

I do agree that we will take advantage of his mobility/intelligence (Two things our former QB lacked) via rollouts, bootlegs, and more play action. This QB gives us much more of a playbook to, well, play with than our former.

OK, first drive:

Plays 1 thorugh 10 - screen pass to Harrison (I'm not kidding, forget the Kosar's of the world who say you have to throw down field. I guess the point is, start with easy to complete passes)

Play 11 - Cribbs on a reverse handoff with a WR pass to Quinn as he curls down the sideline - TD Browns!!!

===================/

A related thought, what does Quinn bring to the table that Anderson didn't?:

1. Run ability. At ND, Quinn picked up short yardage often.

2. Pocket mobility for roll outs

3. Can get away from pressure better

4. A life pattern of taking care of the ball with less interceptions

5. Bench presses like an offensive lineman.

6. Actually has a selection of jerseys in the team shop

7. Free Subway for the team

8. Free EAS for the team

Uhm, OK, not all of the list is relavent.

Starting a thread to stay on topic.

Limited playsets? Switch out plays that may have been catering to DA's big arm for plays that might cater to Quinn's better athleticism?

Since your playing a College level Defense Thursday , he should be just fine.

Dump off left, dump off right, dump off left, dump off right.

Basically Charlie Frye, reincarnated.

As opposed to DA's gameplan:

Throw it at the receivers feet, sail it over their heads, throw a screen pass to the other team, complete only 50 percent of your passes, etc, etc.....

Pretty much makes sense what's in this thread.

Manage his debut against a statistically "weak" defense. Be prepared for Shanahan to try and rattle the first time starter. Get JL and the OL pumped up to try and dominate the line of scrimmage. Set up play action and take advantage of BQ's increased mobility over DA and move him around some.

Well, it will be interesting to see how Quinn handles the lead role.

Interesting to see how the team responds. Sure sounds like DA is popular with his teammates.

How f'ed up would it be if BE catches, say, 8 passes on 8 throws? (i.e., no drops)

Id like to see more rollouts and screen passes.

I don't see much of a change. I mean how many deep balls have we seen this year anyway? He needs to hit the 15-25 yard passes and that we open up everything else. It is the same thing we have been attempting all year.

I hope to see a similar offense to the one BQ played in at ND: Run the ball consistenlty, short, controlled passes to the RBs and TEs that set up the big plays downfield.

People forget that Jeff Samardzija was quite literally a nobody until Weis showed up and BQ started getting him the ball. BQ can throw downfield just fine.

I watched all those games and trust me that Samardzija was not a complete WR. There's a reason he went back to baseball.

But Samardzija was big and had great hands and BQ put balls in a catchable position for him. That bodes well for us and for BE and K2.

Also, BQ was excellent throwing to his TEs, both going downfield in the seams and in underneath stuff. This is another area that we lacked sorely with DA and it should be back BIG TIME now with K2 and Heiden. (BQ's TE's were NFL TE's Anthony Fasano and John Carlson. They could catch and BQ found them regularly.)

Finally, as Grossi's article points out, BQ is a true field general. He can run an offense and knows what's going on. DA never seemed to be able to do that.

And it bears repeating that BQ played TWO FULL YEARS under Weis at ND and had CRAZY stats.

There will be a learning curve but it will not be steep and it will not be long.

Archived