THE BROWNS BOARD

Question for Shep

Chicopee John

I know that you like Quinn a lot.

I know you like Sanchez a lot.

What would be your preference:

1) Draft Sanchez (and start all over - however, see Falcons last year) and trade Quinn

2) Stay with Quinn and use the multiple draft picks to build around him

3) Other

Thanks for your input.

Personally I don't like LATERAL or BACKWARD moves...and this is just one of the many rumored.

Trade Quinn (at best you get a mid 1st and 3rd) and draft Sanchez. What you are basically doing is trading an unproven QB with SOME NFL experience for an unproven QB with LIMITED college experience...and dropping from #5 overall to a mid 1st. That is a lose/lose proposition.

Trade BE (at best late 1st and a 3rd) and draft Crabtree. What you are doing is trading a pro-bowl (though inconsistent) WR for a raw rookie and then dropping from #5 overall to a late 1st. Again, lose/lose.

Trade S. Rodgers (at best a mid 1st) and draft Raji. Do I need to repeat?

NONE of these trades make any sense at all unless their is something going on beneath the surface...like the Browns KNOW that Quinn sucks...or that Edwards is a true psych case...or that Rodgers will not play for us.

So, basically, I say all these trade/pick combos are nothing but amateur GM wannabe's pipe dreams. They just don't pass the sniff test.

Sounds like the voice of reason has arrived right before draft day!

The only moves involving the Browns if any would be to move out of the 5th or move BE if it was an offer we couldn't refuse(1st. + MK).

Both moves have less than a 50% chance, so let's focus on our current picks.

Our #5 pick will be for Curry or an offensive lineman or Maclin or Orapko or hell i don't know. . .

Shep's a Cali man and a USC fan. I'm betting he votes Sanchez.

Mike Golic's wife just emailed the show. "Why would the Browns draft Sanchez when Quinn has more college and pro experience. Add he's a home stater. Nice running that organization guys".

Agree with above analysis on lateral moves too. This feels really lateral. When we added BE and K2, it felt like we were adding pieces. Now, I'm not so sure.

I wish we were drafting 10-15th and taking Rey M. Would love to see that guy flying about our defense.

If we know Quinn sucks for sure then, yeah, trade him when the value is still high.

If we know Sanchez is amazing (demonstrated poise, maturity, arm strength, pocket presence) then draft him and keep him. If teams need a starting QB they will come to us without demands else have DA and BQ fight it out for the spot and lets release the loser of that bout so we will end up with the best of the starting QB and the best future QB.

... I think the Browns would LOVE to trade down for a couple picks (12 and 18, for instance), but that might happen above us. If the Browns ended up with picks 12, 18, 29 (bye, Bray), 36, and 50? Genius.

This would be Mangenius worthy. 5 picks in the top 50 post-Savage methodology would be amazing.

If I had my choice? It's pretty close between the two, but I think Sanchez is a little better prospect. Both are whip smart and both are hard workers and natural leaders. Sanchez is preternaturally mature and acts like he's 28 and prepping for his Madden cover (if you've seen him on any sports network). They both SEEM like "The Guy."

Both guys are very mobile, good athletes. Both absorb offenses and read defenses. I think Sanchez is elite on his anticipation, as many have written lately, but Quinn isn't far behind.

They separate a little on passing. Sanchez is a natural thrower who, while not possessing a true gun, spins it fast, makes all the throws, and goes downfield extremely well, with consistent accuracy. Quinn's accuracy downfield continues to be in question until he proves otherwise and he seems to labor on second and third level throws that require real zip. His ball doesn't always spin and cut through.

That said, he has plenty of arm. More than Brees, probably as much as Manning, who also doesn't really spin it. It isn't absolutely necessary... but downfield accuracy is.

I think both guys have what it takes to be top shelf QBs in the NFL... but Sanchez grades out higher with me in spite of the lack of starting experience.

It's a pretty dramatic move and I'm not convinced it's in the offing. I think the Browns would LOVE to trade down for a couple picks (12 and 18, for instance), but that might happen above us. If the Browns ended up with picks 12, 18, 29 (bye, Bray), 36, and 50? Genius.

Sanchez will be at minimal a good nfl qb over time and i like him a lot talentwise bq and sanchez are similar but tossing the rock in the nfl is a different cave game then college and reading those tricky deceitful fast defenses is on a whole new level so i like bq a bit better especially in the shortrun simply because he already has nfl experience and time on the bench wrongfully spent as a second fiddle has made him ready to compete and win in the nfl..

In the end i believe both will be very good or better quarterbacks but i give bq the edge this year next year will be the year to judge which one if not both are excelling...

Chuds craptastic playbook that he setup for bq was focused around a running game that didnt work at that point and primarily short passes that were predictible and easily shutdown with little to no extra yards after the catch..this regime had zero faith in bq or any other qb except da and decided to play safe over aggressive once da was out... i had zero faith in this regime..

If I had my choice? It's pretty close between the two, but I think Sanchez is a little better prospect. Both are whip smart and both are hard workers and natural leaders. Sanchez is preternaturally mature and acts like he's 28 and prepping for his Madden cover (if you've seen him on any sports network). They both SEEM like "The Guy."

Both guys are very mobile, good athletes. Both absorb offenses and read defenses. I think Sanchez is elite on his anticipation, as many have written lately, but Quinn isn't far behind.

They separate a little on passing. Sanchez is a natural thrower who, while not possessing a true gun, spins it fast, makes all the throws, and goes downfield extremely well, with consistent accuracy. Quinn's accuracy downfield continues to be in question until he proves otherwise and he seems to labor on second and third level throws that require real zip. His ball doesn't always spin and cut through.

That said, he has plenty of arm. More than Brees, probably as much as Manning, who also doesn't really spin it. It isn't absolutely necessary... but downfield accuracy is.

I think both guys have what it takes to be top shelf QBs in the NFL... but Sanchez grades out higher with me in spite of the lack of starting experience.

It's a pretty dramatic move and I'm not convinced it's in the offing. I think the Browns would LOVE to trade down for a couple picks (12 and 18, for instance), but that might happen above us. If the Browns ended up with picks 12, 18, 29 (bye, Bray), 36, and 50? Genius.

Shep...I guess you are confusing me. The entire time you were pimping Quinn you were talking about the studies that show high number of STARTS were an extremely important indicator as to NFL success. Now, suddenly, that doesn't seem to matter so much.

The stats didn't change last year....and Sanchez still only has 16 starts as a college QB.

Shep...I guess you are confusing me. The entire time you were pimping Quinn you were talking about the studies that show high number of STARTS were an extremely important indicator as to NFL success. Now, suddenly, that doesn't seem to matter so much.

The stats didn't change last year....and Sanchez still only has 16 starts as a college QB.

Maybe he remembered that Cade McNown started for 4 years at UCLA.

Shep...I guess you are confusing me. The entire time you were pimping Quinn you were talking about the studies that show high number of STARTS were an extremely important indicator as to NFL success.

My favorite is still Akili Smith. How many did he start? 10 or 11?

I don't think I want anything to do with Sanchez.

Be careful with that though. Let's just realize this is a TOUGH position to peg.

Matt Cassell started ZERO games in college and won 10 or 11 of his first 15 NFL starts. Meanwhile Ken Dorsey started 4 years for the college football team that won the most games in that 4 year span. Can you guess which of these kids would be the backup transitioning to Superstar starter expectations and which kid doesn't look worthy of an NFL roster spot?

Aside from that, you look at Tom Brady being the 2nd most popular QB on Michigan's campus and the first think you have to ask is "whatever happened to Drew Henson?" The second thing you have to ask is, "what's with all these overrated college QBs named Drew in the state of Michigan?"

Relating this to us: Quinn started 3 or 4 years at Notre Dame with his final 2 years sporting steller numbers in the SAME pro style offense his Head Coach won games in NE with. The difference? It wasn't BB's defense supporting him. Therefore, Quinn never got CREDIT for a win vrs USC inspite of getting his team the lead the last time he took a snap from Center in that game. He's come to Cleveland and been told to sit and watch the Derek Anderson Gong Show. I'd need to be Tommy Chong on the bong to understand the crackpipe logic of what we've done to the kid Charlie Weis said was READY. Don Shula doesn't draft Marino in about the SAME spot we drafted Quinn only to bring in ANOTHER young QB and committ to the other kid. If he did, he wouldn't be Don Shula - he'd be Romeo Crennell. It's absurd we only have 2 healthy starts that averaged 30 points apiece to go by at this point. That said, I LIKED scoring 30 points when I witnessed how many TDs we scored the rest of the season.

- Tom F.

Archived