THE BROWNS BOARD

McShay now says the Browns are drafting......

Oldcrow1945

I think you are looking at it a bit simplistic if you think the pass rush is going to be fixed with 1 player being drafted.

And all of This of course depends on what they do with the rest of the draft. With picks #36 and #50 and whatever else they may do.

Maybe they think they can get a pass rusher in the second round. Or maybe there is a deal for another 1st round pick.

Drafting Raji doesn't mean you automatically will not have a pass rush. Remember that he did have 7.5 sacks his senior year. Plus 75 tackles! This on a defense that was loaded with talent.

I don't think anybody has a clue who they will pick but I see too many needs and DL in a 3-4 aren't your playmakers. LBs are your playmakers in a 3-4.

A 3-4 NT is different then a 4-3 DT and I see him as out of position as a DE.

But, like you said, you don't know what else they got planned to go along with the #5 pick. I just know they need to address OLB, WR, SS and Center. A RB would be nice also.

It will be very interesting and I will be very surprised if it's Raji.

Guest Masters

Two guys at 320+lbs on the D-line of a 3-4 is not ideal. We just went through this last season.

I am not advocating Crabtree, but he was just on 1st Take today and didn't seem like any sort of a primadona. Seemed like a good kid whose only focus is being a great football player.

Why can't these kids get ahold of some synthetic urine like everyone else?

Yeah, and one of those strap on tubes so that even if they are watching they can't see anything. Someone told me at GNC that in city areas their urine cleanse product is their number one seller, used when people take drug tests.

Don't listen to McShay...on SC this morning he said he changed his pick because Cleveland is SWITCHING to a 3-4 when we have been playing it for years so obviously he doesn't know whats going on

I watched the same thing and I never heard him use the word "Switching".

What I remember the most about McShay is how he went nuts when Houston didn't take Bush or Young with the first pick in 2006. He degraded the GM and went off on the organization. Today he said Ooooooops, I was wrong there.

So, these guys are entertaining but they miss a lot also.

Jim Donovan represented the local Browns media on NFL Network and predicted the Browns would take Raji.

Not that this prediction means jack shit, but here's hoping he's right.

I never saw Joe Thomas coming. so you never know. I just have trouble seeing a team with Shaun Rogers drafting B.J. Raji. With Smith and Rubin, we seem to have too many NT types. Tyson Jackson makes more sense.

Maybe not....that was a slam dunk pick IMO....and that isn't a rip at all my friend...some place the emphasis on the skill positions(rb,wr,qb) and some on the grunt positions.....OL....DL.

To take a line from you.....I go on record as saying you can never have to many good OL or DL players.

Oline represents 45% of your offensive unit, and it's performance totally dictates how the others eventually end up playing.

That being the case, and the number of teams in the league, and the number of guys who can actually play the position to a high degree of efficiency, you can't wait until the 4th and 5th round to get your players.

Almost the same can be said for defensive lineman.

If you are weak in those areas, everything else if going to falter.

Bottom line: Pick lineman early and often if you want to win.

I think McShay is just looking at Mangini coming in and running his style of 3/4........I would hope. Another words, they aren't switching?

As far as the contention that Raji wouldn't work with Rogers at end because of the issue we had last year having fatasses at DE, this is completely different. Rogers could be unleashed and an animal in the base 3/4 with Raji taking the heat off him. Don't confuse Rogers with LeShaun Smith or a hurt Corey Williams new to the end spot like last year.

With a healthy Robaire, we're looking at a potential line of base 3/4:

Williams/Robaire, Raji, and Rogers with bench guys in Smith and Rubin.

The base 4/3 could be devastating with Williams, Raji, Rogers and Robaire.

I'm pretty sure Rogers and Mangini are cool, that's water under the bridge and I gotta guess Rogers would be pumped to play end, that dude was getting tripled at times last year.

This is a very intriguing pick that is swaying me more and more, but the issues with Raji's character keep me from being totally in love with the idea.

Ok, I just need to know... When did Tyson Jackson's name all of a sudden start popping up as a top 10 pick? Did I miss something?

Good question....I'd like to know the same. After repping 20 times on the bench at his pro day you would've thought he would do anything but climb.

I think Mangini would want Raji,

1. in Case Rogers becomes a disgruntled player

2. he wants ALL his defensive lineman to be able to line up at any of the DL positions, so he has flexibility in play calling. (this was from an article shortly after he was hired, don't have the link)

Take the best front 7 defensive player it's either Curry or Raji one should be there. I hope it's Raji we have nobody outside of Rogers on that line that would be starting in the division.

Nobody outside Rogers? Raji wouldn't play out there either. He is a NT, period. If anybody would move it would have to be Rogers and that would be a disaster. NO DE in a 3-4 is worth a #5 pick and raji couldn't play DE anyway. DEs aren't impact players in the 3-4, LBs are.

If Rogers became a DE he'd sign a lifetime contract with Cleveland. The dude would rack up 15 sacks a year.

Could be this is the way Mangini smoothed things over with Rogers.....told him he was going to do his best to get Rogers outside so he could unleash the beast.

BTW, I'm listening to these tools from WKNR bagging on Mangini for calling out Crabs for being a prima donna and overall jackass. The same guys who would whine and cry if he was drafted and turned into another Charles Rogers or Chad Johnson.

And aren't they the same guys that want to get rid of Edwards so fast they don't care if we get just a waterboy and a candy bar in exchange for him?

Raji is tempting BUT his weed history LONG before the combine sort of concerns me about a #5 overall signing bonus going "Up in Smoke." The LAST time we looked to BC for a super-talented kid that had an alleged history of marijuana use it was William Green who got supsended for drugs in his 2nd season here (after a promising finish to a rookie year). Could go either way - but you give the WRONG kid a top 5 signing bonus and you're looking at the 2nd coming of Gerrard Warren. Been down that road and it got us lost REAL fast.

- Tom F.

At this point from everything I've been reading around the web I would say Tyson Jackson is a more likely pick than Raji. I think both are under serious consideration, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us take Jackson, depending on how 1-4 and the trade situation plays out.

/agree

Jackson is a more likely prospect then raji but anyone may be a better bet then crabtree..he may severely disappoint whoever takes him...weed should be legal to begin with its far less harmful than cigerettes on your actual health.. our goverment is stupid and not serving the majority on more than one front...;)

And aren't they the same guys that want to get rid of Edwards so fast they don't care if we get just a waterboy and a candy bar in exchange for him?

Raji is tempting BUT his weed history LONG before the combine sort of concerns me about a #5 overall signing bonus going "Up in Smoke." The LAST time we looked to BC for a super-talented kid that had an alleged history of marijuana use it was William Green who got supsended for drugs in his 2nd season here (after a promising finish to a rookie year). Could go either way - but you give the WRONG kid a top 5 signing bonus and you're looking at the 2nd coming of Gerrard Warren. Been down that road and it got us lost REAL fast.

- Tom F.

Raji doesn't just have a weed prblem, he had other run in, a fight and some problems when he was hurt in 2007. But what's funny about this whole thing is we got this big long thread because McShay changed his projected pick, again. How about Kiper saying Crabtree and I've seen other mocks sayin Orakpo, Curry, Maclin, Brown and a couple others. So, why do people think McShay has a clue?

Archived