THE BROWNS BOARD

EPA is set to declare CO2 as a “public endangerment”.

Mr. T

Now, liberal children in the class...

CARBON MONOXIDE IS DANGEROUS:

"Carbon monoxide reduces the oxygen supply to the brain, causing carbon monoxide intoxication. At high concentrations, such as produced in the exhaust of a cold engine, carbon monoxide intoxication occurs in only a few minutes, leaving those poisoned incapable of realizing they are poisoned, and unable to protect themselves. Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen to anyone, although children, the elderly and those with health concerns are especially susceptible."

NOW ! The molecule which is CO, is unstable. It needs another atom of O to stabilze it.

Therefore, that is why it will REDUCE THE OXYGEN to the brain !

SO, in freakin conclusion - the CO2 molecule is STABLE. It's happy just the way it is.

So, if you didn't listen in class, that is why you will miss the question on the test next week.

Cars exude CARBON MONOXIDE. And, it is processed by catalytic converters to prevent CO from going out into the air.

By converting to what is stable and harmless. CO2. You know, what PLANTS TAKE IN and WE BREATHE OUT.

Go plant a tree and Steve won't hand you a detention. Choice is yours, you choose your own consequence.

Class dismissed.

Cal, if you'd like, I can explain the chemistry behind the falsity of this post, but if you're just going to remind me that "plants take in CO2" again then I won't bother.

Homeschooling is a great option for many many families. Of course, if you disagree, you could help these families send their kids to better schools by supporting vouchers.

Homeschooling is a great option for many many families in theory. Unfortunately for these kids, they, more often than not, have cal for their parent-teacher thereby perpetuating ignorance and misinformation.

To say that the public school systems have a political agenda is beyond laughable.

I don't think he's saying they have a political agenda. I think he's saying many of them are next to worthless. Which is true.

What to do about it is another story. Tupa's a big voucher proponent. We batted that back and forth a year or two ago. It's tough when you're talking about education reform because you're usually talking about reforms that - even when they're shown to work - only produce small increases in achievement. It's been a really tough nut to crack.

My worry about home-schooling is that it's often done by religious families who do have an agenda, one that might not square with basic science, and that they'll be doing their kids a disservice. But it's certainly their right to educate them as they wish. I don't lose sleep over it.

Homeschooling is a great option for many many families in theory. Unfortunately for these kids, they, more often than not, have cal for their parent-teacher thereby perpetuating ignorance and misinformation.

To say that the public school systems have a political agenda is beyond laughable.

According to studies cited by the US DOE, more than half of homeschooled children are taught by a parent with at least a bachelor's degree. Additionally, homeschoolers score higher, on average, than public school students on standardized tests. Even homeschoolers in families with an annual income under $25,000 score higher on standardize tests than public school students. There are dozens of reasons that these stats might not mean that homeschool offers a better education than public schools, and dozens more why they do. But there is no evidence to support your stereotype, and much to suggest that it is inaccurate.

I don't think he's saying they have a political agenda. I think he's saying many of them are next to worthless. Which is true.

Many of them are worthless, but I truly don't believe this is the real reason these zealots keep their kids out. Guys like cal cry about agendas all day...much of it on this very board.

What to do about it is another story. Tupa's a big voucher proponent. We batted that back and forth a year or two ago. It's tough when you're talking about education reform because you're usually talking about reforms that - even when they're shown to work - only produce small increases in achievement. It's been a really tough nut to crack.

My worry about home-schooling is that it's often done by religious families who do have an agenda, one that might not square with basic science, and that they'll be doing their kids a disservice. But it's certainly their right to educate them as they wish. I don't lose sleep over it.

I absolutely agree that most homeschoolers are taught at home for religious reasons. More than a third of homeschooling parents cite that as their main reason (#1 reason is better education, which I suspect is a religious answer for many parents - meaning that they think being taught about the Bible and Creation is a better education than public school curriculum). But the same is true of most kids at private Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, etc schools across the country. And, like kids at those schools, homeschoolers tend to graduate with higher grades and test scores than their public school counterparts. I understand the concern about a biology course or two, but I have a hard time characterizing giving your children a superior overall education as a disservice.

Cal, if you'd like, I can explain the chemistry behind the falsity of this post, but if you're just going to remind me that "plants take in CO2" again then I won't bother.

LEG

when you have the time, send me an email. Hey, it's been a lot of years since I worked in R&D in

the plastics mfg business.

I'm cool with learning new or forgotten stuff.

But being funny is more fun. I just find it odd that cars are singled out, and other things that are worse

aren't mentioned at all. You know, the "Republicans and their trucks and SUV's" class warfare crap.

Archived