THE BROWNS BOARD

Longer Unemployment for Those 45 and Older

Mr. T

Longer Unemployment for Those 45 and Older

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/us/13age...agewanted=print

On average, laid-off workers in this age group were out of work 22.2 weeks in 2008, compared with 16.2 weeks for younger workers. Even when they finally land jobs, they typically experience a much steeper drop in earnings than their younger counterparts.

Older workers do hold some advantages, though. Many have avoided layoffs in this recession, and government statistics show that people 45 and older currently have a lower unemployment rate than younger workers.

Alicia H. Munnell, director of the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, said companies were often reluctant to lose the experience of older workers, many of whom also have protections that often come with age and seniority.

Recent data, however, have shown that the advantage is deteriorating. “If you are old and have a job, you are less likely — albeit less less likely than in the old days — to be fired,” Dr. Munnell said.

The unemployment rate in March for workers ages 45 and over was 6.4 percent, the highest since at least 1948, when the Bureau of Labor Statistics began tracking unemployment on a monthly basis.

But once older workers lose their jobs, Dr. Munnell said, “then it’s horrible.” They have a much harder time finding work again than younger job-seekers do, and statistics appear to show that it is harder for them in this recession than in previous ones. During downturns in 1982 and 2001, workers ages 45 and over were unemployed an average of 19 weeks and just under 17 weeks, respectively.

Many out-of-work baby boomers have despaired as they wonder whether to trim their résumés to avoid giving away their decades of work experience, or to dye their hair.

That Sucks!

Which is why I became a consultant - great interviews, woulda had the jobs I wanted...but...

too expensive with benefits a few times - heard it off the record from the company, second hand.

That sounds like a lawsuit, eh? LOL. "sniff"

both. I'd hire the first to work in my warehouse. I'd hire the second for my secretary and masseuse. sp?

Well, if you're going to dream, dream big.

52 flats, all in all, given some that didn't sprout up, about 2000 plants.

wow.

both. I'd hire the first to work in my warehouse. I'd hire the second for my secretary and masseuse. sp?

Well, if you're going to dream, dream big.

52 flats, all in all, given some that didn't sprout up, about 2000 plants.

wow.

Thats great, we have everything in except the peppers, we forgot to start them along with everything else but they are now ready for transplanting.

some of our Tomato plants are over a foot tall now. Corn Potatoes okra beens brocklie spinach all have sprouted up

I would hire Milton to clean out the rats in the basement, maybe I could get him to sit in my garden with a pellet gun and het rid of the pesky squirrels. :lol:

Which is why I became a consultant - great interviews, woulda had the jobs I wanted...but...

too expensive with benefits a few times - heard it off the record from the company, second hand.

That sounds like a lawsuit, eh? LOL. "sniff"

That's the way to go anyways Cal, work on your own schedule.

I love it, but... the economy is hitting the companies near enough to drive to really hard.

One big company just had a major, huge personell cutback, and the other company has had

two major, huge sets of layoffs/terminations. I know guys who think their careers are completely over,

different skill sets, but....

Not looking good. But, the pay was awesome.

Now, I'm a full time farmer for about the next month or so. I think...

I love it, but... the economy is hitting the companies near enough to drive to really hard.

One big company just had a major, huge personell cutback, and the other company has had

two major, huge sets of layoffs/terminations. I know guys who think their careers are completely over,

different skill sets, but....

Not looking good. But, the pay was awesome.

Now, I'm a full time farmer for about the next month or so. I think...

That's exactly why I started out as a designer, then a pressmen, then printing equipment tech, then mail programmer, then production manager, then IT and computer "technician", then marketing manager, then a web designer, then a web developer, throw in a degree in art, audio and film and a Masters in technical communications. I think I have all bases covered. And am glad I never put all my eggs in one basket. I think hiring a jack of all trades is the direction companies are going. They can work a guy like me to death for he same price. Oh well...

That's exactly why I started out as a designer, then a pressmen, then printing equipment tech, then mail programmer, then production manager, then IT and computer "technician", then marketing manager, then a web designer, then a web developer, throw in a degree in art, audio and film and a Masters in technical communications. I think I have all bases covered. And am glad I never put all my eggs in one basket. I think hiring a jack of all trades is the direction companies are going. They can work a guy like me to death for he same price. Oh well...

Are you hiring? :D from one printer to another.

One way to beat the unemployment line is to be self employed. I run/operate a family owned printing co.

Are you hiring? :D from one printer to another.

One way to beat the unemployment line is to be self employed. I run/operate a family owned printing co.

Really T, in Cleveland? Interesting. We are not hiring, lol. Still love the smell of ink in the morning. I try to get away and they keep pulling me back, at least in some capacity.

Archived