THE BROWNS BOARD

Ghostbusters review

Ghostbusters

Columbia

PG-13. 117 min

Well as we've discussed before there are a few reasons for remakes. Decades after the originals a good idea will seem fresh to a new audience. Not only that but a very familiar title will ring bells with fans who might want to see what the update has to offer. And like Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra singing the same standard song, it doesn't bother me to hear a couple interpretations. Still there will always be pitfalls and comparisons to be made and that's certainly the case with the all-female remake of the classic 1984 hit GHOSTBUSTERS.

There were a few options as to how to proceed; one, I guess, could have been many years later four women decide to go into the business that their fathers had created. Option number two, and the one chosen, is a straight remake just switching the sexes of the main characters. Fair enough. The very first drawback I noticed is because the original sported such an All-Star cast who went on to become comedy greats it was imperative that the female cast be just as good. Unfortunately the roster of female comics is a much shorter list then the one for men so that's a tough assignment.

Melissa McCarthy is doubtlessly the first name that comes to mind in female comedy, and she's Abby, the Top Banana. Kristen Wiig is Erin, the straight man, well woman, Kate McKinnon as Jillian, the crazy chick and last but certainly not least the big loud black chick, bless her soul, Leslie Jones as Patty.

The hot but weird receptionist Annie Potts has been replaced by Chris Hemsworth and the creepy little tool of the demon Rick Moranis by and even creepier Neil Casey. So it's basically the same story that pits four funky paranormal investigators against not only a bunch of spooks that are harrassing the city but the administration bent on discrediting the girls and keeping the public from knowing the ghostly truth.

So keeping in mind the tremendous impact of the original as well as a huge advertising budget for the current offering lots of people including myself were surprised at the mediocre reviews and less-than-stellar box office. This should have been a monster butt still got its ass kicked soundly by THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS. First and foremost I agree with those who simply state that it just wasn't very funny. The original boasted the undisputed A team of comedy writers and actors of the day who are now legends of the genre.

This is a decent cast of characters but by no means legendary. Even McCarthy whose forte is loud over-the-top vulgar humor is subdued here though that's probably more a decision of the director. The loud and boisterous jokes were mostly given to Jones.

Another strange thing was the fact that Chris Hemsworth's funniest bit was clipped out of the film only to be stuck back in during the closing credits.

Also slightly surprising is that while a great deal of this film hinges on special effects it doesn't seem like the technology has advanced, at least in this case, a great deal since 1984. Still the effects are alright and don't usually sway my opinion much one way or the other.

Let me say it's not an unpleasant film and the cast is certainly not without charisma but compared to the original, which today is the gold standard, this one just seems a little weak, but it still looks like the sequel is on the drawing board.

I've been considering a C but decided to be generous.

C+

WSS

Feminists might actually have something to complain about on this movie, because i'm pretty sure this turd really will only earn back 70 cents on the dollar...

First of all feminists are always pissed off about something. Second of all they were 70 or less percent as good as the men who did the job the first time.

:D

ps notice that I did revise my letter grade before submission to print.

WSS

Archived