THE BROWNS BOARD

What is the best streaming music service?

Hey guys, I realize this isnt appropriate for this for him so I will immediately move it over to my movie page but since this one gets more traffic I thought I would throw it out to some of you guys. I used to love my iPod but Apple is making it a bigger and bigger pain in the ass so I'm wondering if the next generation of music is a paid music streaming service. I figure some of you younger guys are more hip to them that I am. Do they have just about everything out there as long as you pay a monthly fee? Are they all different MP3 download sites that won't play well with other MP3 download sites?

Any tips you have will be appreciated. I will move this to movies and leave a link ASAP. Thank you.

WSS

I subscribe to amazon prime (free delivery, free tv streaming and free music streaming). They have a lot of albums on there and have stations you can listen to with no ads.

Outside of that, I mostly use youtube (with adblocks)

Not so much, no. Well, yes and no. To start with, music you've purchased through amazon is in your library automatically. Then all of their stations are free, and all of their playlists are free. It's just some of the actual albums that you might have to pay for.

I think this should work for you (obviously I'm a UK customer, so my prime is .co.uk, not .com)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_acss_bw_hr_prmpl_3_i?rh=n%3A8335758011%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A7755788011%2Ck%3A40%7C50s%7C60%7C70%7C80%7C90%7C2000&bbn=8335758011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=1WQT695JPE2NRTSFXQ2M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2425796742&pf_rd_i=10232860011

I have amazon prime but I only use it for 2-day shipping.

I do have google play music for $7.99/month but that's because I sub'd when it was brand new (now it's $9.99).

You get to stream virtually everything - it has pandora-esque stations by artist, genre, etc. Or you can listen to albums/build your own playlists. It's great.

A bonus over spotify is that if you get it you also get ad-free youtube and youtube red.

I checked out the Amazon music and I'm not sure if it's a separate service I need to purchase on top of my Amazon Prime. At any rate I selected an artist I like at random, Tony Carey. It had a few of his records on there but certainly not most of it.

I just used him for an example I'm guessing it's the same for everybody?

Or with some of the big anti streaming act nothing at all?

WSS

I checked out the Amazon music and I'm not sure if it's a separate service I need to purchase on top of my Amazon Prime. At any rate I selected an artist I like at random, Tony Carey. It had a few of his records on there but certainly not most of it.

I just used him for an example I'm guessing it's the same for everybody?

Or with some of the big anti streaming act nothing at all?

WSS

It's the same with most I think. It depends what you're looking for - if it's a specific song or album, you may well be out of luck. If it's a genre, there's endless playlists and stations. I use it to discover new things, mainly. Also, if I'm listening to music I know, my brain will get distracted trying to sing along, whereas if it's stuff I *don't* know, there's no such issue.

If you're looking for a specific album, though, youtube might be the best (free) bet. Else, spotify, as suggested by others.

I guess I figured that's where it was going to be. No big deal.

There's a program out there called trans copy so maybe I can backup my iPod, which is filled with hundreds of CDs that I actually purchased it loaded on, and see if they're alternative to iTunes actually works. I still have an iPod classic I purchased an iPod Touch so we shall see. As far as streaming random songs I guess Pandora does that as well as anybody. Just I like to pick which albums I'm going to put on. Thank you!

WSS

I wonder why?

WSS

They didn't have licenses to do it in this country, only in the US (I think).

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in United Kingdom (your IP address appears to be ...). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please email us.

• 1 month later...

But not even Sirius XM does that.

XM used to be the free music service that came with DTV subscription. I loved "DeepTracks"... a real, AOR channel with live DJs providing background on tracks you'd never hear on a Classic Rock channel.

Plus, when there was a new release from a classic rock artist/ group that a DJ liked, you'd get tastes of that. This was the way i "found" the Allison Krauss/ Robert Plant release.

But DTV switched to "Music Choice". Similar channels, but no DJ's... just not the same.

spotify app doesn't cost anything and you can stream to bluetooth (smart tv hooked up to your a/v system).

you can save artists and their albums, playlists, songs etc.

pandora is alright but it plays stations........and you're lucky to hear a song an hour from that artist's station.

Archived