THE BROWNS BOARD

WV politics

I read a book once about the coal miners and the workers trying to start a union.

It was deadly stuff - I'm not that surprised.

"Dancing outlaw" has the wild and wonderful stuff locked up, but without the "jackass" style shock-edits. There's a poetic innocence to it.

WV is probably the best state in the country to have your car break down. People will flood out of the hollers to help you out if you're in distress. Go into a holler uninvited, and you won't come out.

WV is probably the best state in the country to have your car break down. People will flood out of the hollers to help you out if you're in distress. Go into a holler uninvited, and you won't come out.

This is a pretty true assessment. I have been here awhile since moving from NJ. The mentality is totally different. The locals can be incredibly welcoming or absolute nightmares. There isn't much in between.

I should clarify the "they'll help you out" statement.

1. Don't be black ( most of the time)

2. The physical boundary of the holler is probably a lot smaller than the hillbillies' perception of the boundary of that holler

This. If I don't have my wife in tow, everything is kosher.

I could tell a million hillbilly stories. Southern WV is like a different universe. I have been working a contract from WVDOH to assist with their FEMA flood damage assessments. I had never seen that level of local government corruption before and I came from NJ.

WV has been turning red since 2000. The recent state elections have confirmed it. That said, Hillary made herself enemy #1 here when she badmouthed the coal industry.

Archived