THE BROWNS BOARD

Kessler

PoeticG

Kessler is 6'1" 225lbs...much thicker/wider than expected. i think his arm will get stronger over time while he hopefully keeps his accuracy. hoping his body is dense enough that he may actually be able to take the AFCN's punishment.

Well put Sisky! These are some stats from a QB in his 3rd NFL season (on a team sporting the NFL's worst record) that was able to improve his arm strength (even though I never felt he had unacceptable arm strength from the onset):

Year Team G Att Cmp Cmp% Yds Avg TD Lg INT Fmbl Rating

2003 San Diego 11 205 356 57.6 2,108 5.92 11 68 15 4 67.5

Apparently, that was strike 3 for Brees from the perception of the GM worried about fannies in the seats or San Diego wouldn't have drafted a QB 1st overall in the next draft who told them "don't draft me because I'm not coming." As fate would have it, they ended up trading Eli to the NY Giants for Philip Rivers. Then, the hot-shot rookie QB in San Diego held out the entire length of training camp while Brees went on to have a Pro Bowl season with 12-4 record. Marty was pretty happy he could stick that up his GM's ass.

With Brees, it wasn't just arm strength (or the perception of it) that needed to improve - it was also surrounding talent as well as acclimation to an NFL style offense vrs the spread offense he came out of at Purdue. I know I'm going to butcher the articulation of this but I think if the NFL game slowed down for him a little sooner - many of his throws would have been on time enough for a much better comp %, TD to INT ratio, and passer rating. In a world where timing is everything, his 4th year looked like a combination of better arm strength working in tandem with a more experienced passer the NFL game finally slowed down for. Did he ever really need to get THAT much stronger? I doubt it but I read how much he credited his conditioning to the improved results so I think he's the best source of information here.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well put Sisky! These are some stats from a QB in his 3rd NFL season (on a team sporting the NFL's worst record) that was able to improve his arm strength (even though I never felt he had unacceptable arm strength from the onset):

Year Team G Att Cmp Cmp% Yds Avg TD Lg INT Fmbl Rating

2003 San Diego 11 205 356 57.6 2,108 5.92 11 68 15 4 67.5

Apparently, that was strike 3 for Brees from the perception of the GM worried about fannies in the seats or San Diego wouldn't have drafted a QB 1st overall in the next draft who told them "don't draft me because I'm not coming." As fate would have it, they ended up trading Eli to the NY Giants for Philip Rivers. Then, the hot-shot rookie QB in San Diego held out the entire length of training camp while Brees went on to have a Pro Bowl season with 12-4 record. Marty was pretty happy he could stick that up his GM's ass.

With Brees, it wasn't just arm strength (or the perception of it) that needed to improve - it was also surrounding talent as well as acclimation to an NFL style offense vrs the spread offense he came out of at Purdue. I know I'm going to butcher the articulation of this but I think if the NFL game slowed down for him a little sooner - many of his throws would have been on time enough for a much better comp %, TD to INT ratio, and passer rating. In a world where timing is everything, his 4th year looked like a combination of better arm strength working in tandem with a more experienced passer the NFL game finally slowed down for. Did he ever really need to get THAT much stronger? I doubt it but I read how much he credited his conditioning to the improved results so I think he's the best source of information here.

Well... Brees had been benched in favor of Doug Flutie in his 3rd season before SD draft-traded for Rivers. So there was considerable doubt about his promise.

And while Brees held off Rivers for a couple seasons, ultimately it was concerns over his shoulder injury that prompted Brees' move to NO (torn labrum). SD had enough doubts (and Rivers, who they felt was ready) that they did not compete with NO and MIA in a bidding war that ultimately NO won.

Safe to say that the Brees-Payton combo in NO was magical.... at least for one year.

Also as it turned out Rivers was not a bad consolation prize.

Neither Rivers' or Brees' arm strength is anything to write home about, and they are both successful.......... Time will tell for Kess.

Well... Brees had been benched in favor of Doug Flutie in his 3rd season before SD draft-traded for Rivers. So there was considerable doubt about his promise.

And while Brees held off Rivers for a couple seasons, ultimately it was concerns over his shoulder injury that prompted Brees' move to NO (torn labrum). SD had enough doubts (and Rivers, who they felt was ready) that they did not compete with NO and MIA in a bidding war that ultimately NO won.

Safe to say that the Brees-Payton combo in NO was magical.... at least for one year.

Also as it turned out Rivers was not a bad consolation prize.

Great post Tour!

If I'm remembering correctly how it all shook out - the interesting thing about the San Diego situation was in the strong difference of opinions held by Marty and the GM in terms of how pressing the need to go in the direction of a QB at #1 overall. Marty's staff invested the time and training in the QB through the growing pains while the GM wanted more immediate results regardless of how bad the team around QB was in 2003.

Another interesting thing that you brought up was when Brees had the torn labrum there were only 2 teams interested in competing for Brees: Miami and NO. I remembered a discussion about this on the radio when Brees' highly regarded surgeon (Dr Andrews) was saying not only did Brees have a great prognosis but he fully expected this to improve Brees' ability to throw over his pre-injury form. I'm sure part of his improvement was due to the surgery and the other part of it came from the magical pairing with Payton you spoke of.

I liked bringing up Brees in pertinence to Kessler because both guys are pretty similar in height. They both had/have their share of critics fair or not. Above all (especially post surgery for Brees), they both needed the right guy to believe in them when it seemed apparent there wasn't a lot of people that did. Payton was that man for Brees and Hue wants to be that guy for Kessler. If Hue feels pretty strongly that he has the ideal system fit for Kessler's skill-set, haven't we witnessed what the right tandem of HC and QB could accomplish even in a place like NO that never so much as won a playoff game (before they arrived)? It'll be fun to watch it play out especially since Hue shouldn't have to race Kessler into action.

He gets some points for being a lefty, I like that.

Showing more of your football knowledge I see. You're as accurate as ever, but I will say you're consistent.

Basically....

Hue is a pretty strong variable in this. He studied all of the QBs and this was the guy he felt matched his offense best. Once upon a time nobody was talking about Russell Wilson, who was on our door-step but we took the bionic armed pinball wizard Brandon Weeden-Feeddefenses instead way up at #22 overall.

Sometimes there's an OC like a Lindy Infante who could extract the very best football out of QBs like Bernie Kosar and Jim Harbaugh. According to an interview I read in ESPN's mag, Harbaugh felt Lindy's system was QB friendly enough to use as the foundation of his coaching career that mapped a school like Stanford into significance. It also changed Alex Smith from a serial coach killer into a guy with passer ratings in the high 90s (bordering 100) that led SF into a Conference Championship Game.

He gets some points for being a lefty, I like that.

Hey , I heard Caitlin Jenners cock bears left. Bet you love you some gurl cock lol

Hue is a pretty strong variable in this. He studied all of the QBs and this was the guy he felt matched his offense best.

I think this is inaccurate. No way to know whether Hue liked Goff, Wentz or Lynch more than Kessler. Did he find a player he liked after team traded down, wasn't able to get Lynch in a trade up, and then advocated for drafting a guy he also liked at the end of round 3? More likely.

I think this is inaccurate. No way to know whether Hue liked Goff, Wentz or Lynch more than Kessler. Did he find a player he liked after team traded down, wasn't able to get Lynch in a trade up, and then advocated for drafting a guy he also liked at the end of round 3? More likely.

Not to argue, but if I remember correctly in an interview, Hue stated Kessler was the QB he was targeting. Now mind you, that could be a half truth, and he was 1 of several, but I read it to believe he was the 1 he wanted for decision making and accuracy. JMO

Not to argue, but if I remember correctly in an interview, Hue stated Kessler was the QB he was targeting. Now mind you, that could be a half truth, and he was 1 of several, but I read it to believe he was the 1 he wanted for decision making and accuracy. JMO

Maybe not your intention, but If we're going to start saying (and believing) Cody Kessler was Hue's Top ranked QB prospect, I'll die a little inside.

Honestly thought with RG3 already in Hue's pocket. Hue stood behind both QB's at their Pro Days to get a valued look that could outweigh the worth of losing 5 of their own FA's. Think the second fiddle of QB's was his only choice at this time? Haslem better put his happy trigger away for now also..

I'm not upset or really sold on Kessler. Just wondered what you meant by the lefty righty thing. To the panties remark....eat shit

Lol fair enough. Looks like I'm the one in the wrong I thought Kessler was a lefty.

Other than him telling us that? He already knew 1 QB was gone at #1 so he was smart enough not to plan on what wasn't going to be available. If you go to a restaurant with an appetite for seafood - I'm guessing you include in your plans a restaurant that serves seafood rather than one that doesn't just like you don't go to McDonald's if you want pizza right?

In a world where actions speak louder than words - McCown remained employed while RG3 got added. Then Hue gave a 2 thumbs up to trading out of #2 (which seems like a strange way to show us Wentz was HIS guy) before he traded back from #8 (to refuse Lynch once); and then use our #15 on Coleman (to refuse Lynch again). Aside from all that, if Kessler seemed like the first QB to justify the draft slot that was on our doorstep in terms of willingness from those orchestrating our draft putting their money where their mouth is. Just for punctuation, didn't one of the channels show Hue fist pumping the FO guys in the room to celebrate this?

all i know is that if this org is building this team around codyfuckingkessler than we are all doomed.

believeland v2.0. "COULDA SHOULDA WOULDA!"

Weren't you the guy saying that this Browns draft sucks then in the same sentence said we can't judge the class until 3 years down the road?

You sound like every woman trying to make a decision.

IMHO, Hue and co. looked at both Goff and Wentz to determine the trade value

of trading down. Hue said he followed Kessler's career...

I deem that as saying ((Kessler + (all draft picks in trade)) > (one star qb at #2).

If the Browns had a complete playoff team that only needed a qb...they would

have stayed at #2 and taken Wentz. That's just what I think.

Kessler is way talented enough to warrant the outstanding trade down and getting all those picks.

His throwing velocity/strength was 55mph. Measured the same as Flacco and Jameis Winston. I don't get where Kessler gets the weak arm rep.

Kessler is a very interesting prospect with adequate arm strength. Flacco has always been overrated. But watch his tape at Delaware St. and watch Kessler tape. No way they have the same arm strength. Fuck whatever shitty radar gun they use. Winston was a MLB pitching prospect. Kessler throws as hard as him, bullshit. I'm still rooting for him.

Here's the importance of a franchise QB. The Browns are 200-1 to win the SB. The same odds Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan and Alex Smith should have. Will never win big game losers. If your QB sucks your offense sucks. If your run D sucks your defense sucks. Pray to god Kessler is the next Brees. And all the best scoring defenses stuff the run.

I don't know what you're points are here, but I have always liked left handed QBs. Stabler, Young, Capp, Moon and others were all very good QBs. I think being a lefty gives teams a different look on O.

I don't think Kessler is very good, but being a lefty help him.

When did Warren Moon become a lefty? You must have been distracted by what was going on under the blanket again...

Weren't you the guy saying that this Browns draft sucks then in the same sentence said we can't judge the class until 3 years down the road?

You sound like every woman trying to make a decision.

yep that was me. this brown's draft did suck IMO and what i should've made clear is grading a draft minutes after it's finished is ridiculous (unless of course it's this year's brown's draft).

3 years down the road when we have 2 of the players from this draft on our roster i'll remember your admonishment and the fact that you thought cody kessler was going to be the saviour of the browns, lol.

in fact let me bookmark this page right now......

Archived