THE BROWNS BOARD

A hologram for the king review

A hologram for the king

Lionsgate

R. 98 min

Well I knew I was rolling the dice on this one. It's only playing in a few theaters and just happens to be at the Cinemark on the giant screen. Big deal right? But what caught my eye was that at least from the movie poster it doesn't look like a big loud special effects festival but more a thoughtful exploration of the Common Man. It stars Tom Hanks who I don't particularly love, at least as much as a lot of people, but he's one of those actors in a position to not have to take really crappy assignments.

That means that even though I don't think he can carry a film on his shoulders in a manner of Jack Nicholson or Sean Connery, he can at least spot really good films that will be a conduit for his tried-and-true Everyman persona. ( I will admit that a small red flag for me is the fact that this film is set at least partially in Saudi Arabia. Nothing against Saudi Arabia it's just I don't usually like desert films or jungle films. Just a quirk.)

Fortunately despite the Saudi Arabian setting this isn't really a desert movie Kama so it is a rather fascinating look and a culture we hardly ever see. I wouldn't say it was in depth, and it really didn't seem as though there was any kind of political statement being made, no demonization of other culture, but it was different.

As a matter of fact the entire film, premise and story was different then most things we see.

Based on the novel of the same name by Dave Eggers this is part redemption flick, part buddy flick and part romance all set against a semi surrealistic backdrop of the Middle East Kingdom.

Alan Clay (Hanks) is a past his prime businessman who, after an unsuccessful stint with Shwinn bicycles, is working for a tech company and hoping to sell a hologram based communication system to the king of Saudi Arabia. Why has Clay been selected? Many years ago he met a Saudi Prince in a men's room and told him a joke.

Upon arrival he finds his advance team set up in a tent a couple hundred yards from the palace with insufficient Wi-Fi, no catering and apparently no indication that anyone cares if they are in town.

During his down time, which there is plenty of, he has a back and forth with a daughter that he loves and frets over and ex-wife that he doesn't.

The buddy portion of the film is between Clay and Yusef (Alexander Black), a smart alec cab driver who fills in whenever Clay misses the shuttle (nearly everyday) and act as his guide and confidant.

Romance comes in the form of two different angles. one from an attractive Danish women who comes on to him and one from a female physician, a rarity in Saudi Arabia, who forms a semi forbidden bond with him. The film is a series of vignettes based around each of these angles and frankly I was hard-pressed to get a bead on what the final outcome would relate to. But it finally does and when that happens the story ends up on a pleasant and somewhat unexpected note.

Hologram takes a while to draw the viewers into the story but once it does it's a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

This is one place where Hanks' unobtrusive acting style fits perfectly with the story and surroundings.

B+

WSS

You are dead wrong about Tom Hanks......he can "carry" a film as anyone ever has. Forrest Gump, obviously, Castaway, numerous others. He probably should have won like 5 best actor Oscars rather than just the two that he has (Gump...Philadelphia.....shoulda had one for Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, one or two more)

You are dead wrong about Tom Hanks......he can "carry" a film as anyone ever has. Forrest Gump, obviously, Castaway, numerous others. He probably should have won like 5 best actor Oscars rather than just the two that he has (Gump...Philadelphia.....shoulda had one for Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, one or two more)

Well then you see more in him than I do. I don't think he's Pauly Shore but I disagree with you.

WSS

Archived