THE BROWNS BOARD

Guitar questions

When I signed up to this message board I had no idea of the talented musicians on here (yes you too veracopter) and have some questions. Yes I look up the tab or chord music and figure it out myself but I'm not a pro. Now don't get me wrong I'm very good just don't play out and have never been in a band. I still like to tackle some songs I've always liked.

Some songs I like have been overdubbed where it makes it impossible to play it note for note. So my question is... Do you just learn all the guitar parts or just play one of them? Or learn all the parts and try to put your spin on it? Would trying to play the live version be more helpful?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's better just to approximate the feel of a song and put your own spin on it than attempt to play it note for note.

Yes . A perfect example is "Long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll"

It was recorded on reel to reel so it's a half step down. I tried you tubing the song and different people were playing it in diffent keys. So what I did was try to play it with the cd. It's a simple yet weird song due to the dubbing. Crazy

I'll let the better guitarists than I that populate this forum guide you towards your answer :)

Mine would be about learning intervals B)

Thank you Eddie for taking the time to post. We know you're busy doing the grammy winning tour over there. Jk

I guess it really doesn't matter just a hobby for me just was kind of wondering how someone with more expertise would handle a song with different guitar parts. Lots of examples I'll post tonight Thanks guys seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

The most important thing is the basics...learn Melodies.. study intervals.. and study harmony. I don't really have a hand book on how to play because I'm mostly self taught. I just basically play from the heart... I just learned a few songs but mostly just tried to come up with My own style. (whatever that is). But now a days.. everything I do is rooted in some kind of blues. So I just just try to find new motifs. Just try to be well rounded.. the important thing.. is have fun.

The most important thing is the basics...learn Melodies.. study intervals.. and study harmony. I don't really have a hand book on how to play because I'm mostly self taught. I just basically play from the heart... I just learned a few songs but mostly just tried to come up with My own style. (whatever that is). But now a days.. everything I do is rooted in some kind of blues. So I just just try to find new motifs. Just try to be well rounded.. the important thing.. is have fun.

STFU you fat ass POS.

STFU you fat ass POS.

No one invited you to come here and act like a 5 year old child...WTF is wrong with you man?

Thanks man this is good advise. I'm actually a lot better than I let on. I was a music major in college and after I took piano lessons my guitar playing improved a lot. It's really weird how you can pick up another instrument and have your primary instrument improve. I can understand the timing making a difference or even how you approach music theory to the fretboard but it's uncanny.

Ya guys when I was younger I thot I'd be playing forever but now it's just a hobby. Before I was a very skilled punk kid with chops now I'm just a 50 yr old guy with tats all over and a great smile. I sold all my gear that I collected over the years and play my hummingbird no so often.

Peace

Another guitar question...

Do you prefer stomp boxes or use amp effects? Or maybe you use a multi effects pedal system like the Boss me8?(example) Do you use the same effects live as and when recording? Let me know just curios. Thanks in advance.

in the 80's.. it was all about excess and the more sauce/effects you had .. the better.. But for Me.. not so.. I like pedals.. because I only use a couple of them.. I use a wah wah, a univibe a tube screamer and a smart gate in the direct line.. in My effects loop I use chorus and a digital delay. thats it pretty much... I prefer less effects and less things hooked up means less degredation of tone...

My live set up is a Marshall MA 50 watt head through a modded crate stealth cabinet (2x12). I have various strats and a couple Les Pauls.. Recording.. I still use an old digitech genesis on ocassion but I love tube sound as opposerd to Solid State.. It just feels so much better. you can really feel the tone more I think. Thats just Me.

• 1 month later...

Know your note of resolution... For our non musician friends the translation is as follows,, Know what the last word from your mouth will be.. And in both cases, if you don't.. Say nothing

Know your note of resolution... For our non musician friends the translation is as follows,, Know what the last word from your mouth will be.. And in both cases, if you don't.. Say nothing

Hey axe. What do you think of Dimebag Darrel?

You never listened to the second Bat out of Hell album?

I don't know Steve....that rant at the beginning is reminiscent of some of yours. ;)

I've heard songs off of the album. But ya I guess whatever that was playing was cool at one time but for me it's not very cool.

Archived