THE BROWNS BOARD

5 best looking actresses of all time

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Hoorta: You're wrong about Cate Blanchette. I thought she brought the Gravitas to the role that it required. Here is the description of Galadriel out of the books:

"Very tall [Galadriel and Celeborn] were, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord; and they were grave and beautiful. They were clad wholly in white; and the hair of the Lady was of deep gold… but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory."

I think Cate fit that to a T.

To Hoorta: You're wrong about Cate Blanchette. I thought she brought the Gravitas to the role that it required. Here is the description of Galadriel out of the books:

"Very tall [Galadriel and Celeborn] were, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord; and they were grave and beautiful. They were clad wholly in white; and the hair of the Lady was of deep gold… but no sign of age was upon them, unless it were in the depths of their eyes; for these were keen as lances in the starlight, and yet profound, the wells of deep memory."

I think Cate fit that to a T.

Sorry if I disagree Gip. She was also supposed to be incredibly beautiful. Gimli thought so. Cate doesn't do it for me.

Sorry if I disagree Gip. She was also supposed to be incredibly beautiful. Gimli thought so. Cate doesn't do it for me.

Well, both you and Gimli like your women with beards. I on the other hand like tall blondes with perfect skin.

Cate may not be the most beautiful girl in the world....but she does have classic sophisticated beauty.

Great for that role.

cate_blanchett_blonde_with_grey_eyes.jpg

If you disagree....who would you have preferred in the role.

I thought the casting was overall pretty damn good in LOTR

Well, both you and Gimli like your women with beards. I on the other hand like tall blondes with perfect skin.

Cate may not be the most beautiful girl in the world....but she does have classic sophisticated beauty.

Great for that role.

cate_blanchett_blonde_with_grey_eyes.jpg

Beauty and Sex Appeal can be far different animals.

Who knows what 'classic beauty' means? Like most things, it is defined by the era. Sure, some like Natalie Wood would be beautiful during any decade as would Raquel, Sophia, etc. However, many need to be in context.

For some, beauty is a temporary state of being. See Kathleen Turner, Meg Ryan, etc. as examples.

The total can be greater than or less than the sum of its parts.

Sex appeal is something most women cannot understand. Every man does.

Kate is on record as saying she has had more than a few affairs with men and more than a few with women.

Attitude and Sex Appear are closely related. She has attitude and sex appeal.

Great for that role.

If you twist my arm- Nicole Kidman. Actually looks sort of elvish if you get my drift. Had to look it up, she would have been tall enough to not use trick shots- 5' 11". Probably wouldn't have wanted the part though. The other glamor shots I posted would have been too young, or old.

I totally agree with Chicopee John, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to echo my wife that Cate has "classic" beauty, I won't object.

BTW, the Galadriel thing was one of my beefs about the casting, I wasn't thrilled about Hugo Weaving as Elrond either. Everything else? Pretty darn good.

If you twist my arm- Nicole Kidman. Actually looks sort of elvish if you get my drift. Had to look it up, she would have been tall enough to not use trick shots- 5' 11". Probably wouldn't have wanted the part though. The other glamor shots I posted would have been too young, or old.

I totally agree with Chicopee John, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to echo my wife that Cate has "classic" beauty, I won't object.

BTW, the Galadriel thing was one of my beefs about the casting, I wasn't thrilled about Hugo Weaving as Elrond either. Everything else? Pretty darn good.

Kidman may have been fine. I guess I would have to see her do the role. But I still think Cate had more gravitas.

And speaking of which...I thought Weaving had the gravitas...if not the classic look...(tall, blonde)

Who would you have cast instead?

Archived