THE BROWNS BOARD

RG3 Signs with the Browns

KillerInstinct3

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, to me going with the rebound dude RG3 was 100x a stronger choice IMO than Kaep. I'm not leaping for joy but hey it's the most promising thing we've had in a while.

I would still be completely fine drafting a QB at 2 as well at this point.

In all seriousness, to me going with the rebound dude RG3 was 100x a stronger choice IMO than Kaep. I'm not leaping for joy but hey it's the most promising thing we've had in a while.

I would still be completely fine drafting a QB at 2 as well at this point.

Exactly. Draft Goff or Wentz and move on. McCown at age 37 is not gonna help us rebuild.

I want to know details of the contract. If it's $2M per, good. If it's $12M per, that's terrible.

BUT

If the actual plan is to deal McCown [someone we signed as a street FA] for a 2 or 3 to the Jets, then that's a great art of dealing by Sashi.

I still don't understand what RG3 has to do with any of this. We're already quite competent at losing games with the backups - shaw, davis. What role does RG3 play in all of this other than "unnecessarily petulant locker room cancer" ?

I just verified his signing on the Browns Official website. Hopefully, he will be & remain healthy & we'll see what happens from here on out.

Mike

After Wentz's workout today, this should become very interesting come draft day. Do you take the bigger, long term rookie to bring along while RG3 and Co. running the O a couple of years, or do you go all in with defense early?

3 years 25 mil is what im guessing if Bowe was any indication.

No one to throw to, no protection, i give him 3 games before IR.

2 yrs evidently. Ill still guess 15 mil.

I think this can work. Rg3 knows that he is the bridge guy. He gets a shot to play again while Hue can coach up the qb they pick at 2. They can get some picks outa Josh from denser or jets. It is obvious that this is a major overhaul and having some wheels under qb behind a unproven O line seems wise. And fwiw, RG3 has won before and is well rested and healed. I think it's a definite upgrade from the Farmer duo of McCown and vader.

I want to know details of the contract. If it's $2M per, good. If it's $12M per, that's terrible.

BUT

If the actual plan is to deal McCown [someone we signed as a street FA] for a 2 or 3 to the Jets, then that's a great art of dealing by Sashi.

I still don't understand what RG3 has to do with any of this. We're already quite competent at losing games with the backups - shaw, davis. What role does RG3 play in all of this other than "unnecessarily petulant locker room cancer" ?

No way a 37 year old journey man QB who had a mediocre year will get a 2-3 in a trade. If he does Sashi deserves the GM of the year award before the draft.

Like a lot of other career backups, I appreciate what McCown did for the Browns. At this point though, I really hope the Browns still draft a top prospect at 2 and let him be the back-up. If that means McCown is released than that's how it goes, but I think he'd find work somewhere.

Good signing.

Does not cost us a draft pick. Just money we are going to spend anyway.

He was talented enough to go #2 overall, if he has learned some things and has his head on straight, I think Hue can do some terrific things with him.

If not ... Oh well, we took a shot.

I am guessing they looked at him in the eye and saw fire.

He's from a strong military family. He may just be maturing.

As a Realtor, there are times where you want to be the "second Realtor" on a listing, because it takes time for the Seller to come to their senses. I think RG3 is a player where you want be the second team.

Zombo

Draft day will be VERY interesting. QB at 2? Trade down, draft D, WR, or RB, get a project QB like Lynch a little later? After all, RG3 is just 26 years old.

Let the speculation begin!

Mike

But here are a few examples of Super Bowl starting QBs being on their 2d, maybe third team. Its not that all these guys were "failures" with their first team....but that first team decided for one reason or another not to keep them around:

Len Dawson....original team: Steelers

Darryl Lamonica: Original team: Chargers

Earl Morrall: 49ers

Joe Kapp: (Canada)

Johnny Unitas: Steelers

Craig Morton: made SB with Cowboys that drafted him...but also later with Broncos

Billy Kilmer: 49ers

Fran Tarkenton (started with Vikings....went to Giants, then back to Vikings)

Ron Jaworski: Rams

Jim Plunkett: Patriots

Joe Theisman: Dolphins

Doug Williams: Bucs

Steve Young: Bucs

Chris Chandler: Colts

Brett Favre: Falcons

Stan Humprhies: Redskins

Trent Dilfer: Bucs

Kerry Collins: Panthers

Brad Johnson: Vikings

Rich Gannon: Vikings

Matt Hasselback: Packers

Drew Brees: Chargers

Kurt Warner Rams then Giants then Cardinals.

even Peyton Manning: Colts

even sorta Jim Kelly (drafted by Bills, but played with USFL)

Robert Griffin III

Super Bowl, Baby

Low risk, not much spent, big upside. Great signing. They look brilliant if it works out and if it doesn't they didn't lose much. I prefer this to wasting an early 1st rounder on those two QBs in the draft.

We have no idea what was spent...my guess is 12 mil a year

jbluhm86,

I ALWAYS verify thru the Browns prior to commenting on these signings...ever since NFL.com reported the Browns signing of Jordan Cameron...just before he signed with Miami! LOL

Mike

Low risk, not much spent, big upside. Great signing. They look brilliant if it works out and if it doesn't they didn't lose much. I prefer this to wasting an early 1st rounder on those two QBs in the draft.

if the FO doesn't select one 'of those two QBs in the draft' at #2 then i'll no longer believe in hue, sashi or whatever bullshit they're trying to sell, period. it will show me that they don't know wtf they're doing.

Archived