THE BROWNS BOARD

"Not At All" Hard to Leave Cleveland (Benjamin)

BillMurray

When Travis Benjamin was asked if it was "Hard to leave Cleveland?" during his SD introductory press conference he responded "Not at All".... We are seriously the worst FA destination in the NFL. Can Hue possibly create a team that players actually want to be a part of or will this forever be the red headed step child of the NFL that has to drastically over pay people to bring them here?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already posted this elsewhere.

He is a Florida kid, went to Miami. He's a little sissy boy who

wants to play in warm weather again, wants to win, wants

no qb questions and wants a giant paycheck before he retires to boot.

Of course it wasn't a tough decision

for the little squirt. His goosebumps slowed him down on

the field in cold weather, anyways........ B)

I'll not join in on the bad mouthing of Benjamin. The kid played hard & well here for a very disjointed coaching staff & FO. Of course it wasn't hard for him to leave.

He's gone, I wish him well, & it's time for us to move on by showing some class.

Mike

I do find it funny that the biggest debbie downers are the first to slob on the knob of an ex player, particularly the so called "big" free agent we lost. Dude had one good year and the douche bags who only like to bitch and moan are taking his word as gospel as well as acting like he's Jerry Rice incarnate.

Guess what, if any other human being gets paid way more than their worth at a different company, they won't feel bad about talking shit about their old employer.

In two years when's he's cut, I'm sure he'll be singing a different story. I'd hope those same douche bags singing his praises will do the same but I'm sure they'll have a new boytoy to bitch about.

I'll not join in on the bad mouthing of Benjamin. The kid played hard & well here for a very disjointed coaching staff & FO. Of course it wasn't hard for him to leave.

He's gone, I wish him well, & it's time for us to move on by showing some class.

Mike

Yep, good kid, stayed out of trouble, improved significantly as a WR despite steady turnover (3 different coaching staffs w/ 4 different OCs in 4 years), also gave us a reliable-elite performance in the return game. Somebody had to be committed enough to lead our WR Corp in 2015 even if it wasn't a #1 WR pedigree.

Nobody will ever mistake him for a superstar; but he wasn't bad for a 4th round draft pick in Cleveland. It would have been fun to see a reliable #1 WR here teaming up with Benjamin, Barnidge and Duke out of the backfield.

Post-exhale, the group we looked to in 2014 when our running game was efficient was very helpful to our 6-4 start before we got Gordon back for our 1-5 finish. I see no reason we can't find a group willing to give us what we got over the first 10 weeks of 2014. Seems easier to tap upside when guys are prioritizing football. Very sad I have to type such a thing; but it is Cleveland where reasonable fans are trained for the unreasonable.

Mike

+2

Mike check your PMs for a message I sent concerning your Texas visit.

I am not as upset with the changes that always come as much as I am upset with who the browns organization decides is worth keeping and giving extra chances. It seems like we do our best to keep junk but find valuable things easy to replace. They may not have been the best players in the NFL but players like Manziel and Gordon should be the first shown the door every year not players like A Mack, Shwartz, and Benjamin.

I can't bash Benjamin. He was my favorite player on the team last year. But that's sucks he said that.

Sucks, but from a strickly football perspective, understandable. We can only hope that in two to three-years time the relative directions of the Browns and Chargers franchises give him reason to regret his words.

... Cleveland... where reasonable fans are trained for the unreasonable.

Possible title of the most depressing, season highlight film of all time...

Oh boy, this is where the ugly side of our fan base shows up. A player tells the obvious truth, something bad about CLE, and now some feel the need to bad mouth the player. Even if that is a former player.

Lovely

So you're surprised by human nature?.....boy meets girl, falls in love, she dumps him and then he hates her....thats how it goes....

My perspective is that Benji shoulda taken the high road first and not swung at Cleveland, after jilting us for more $$$...So, if he's gonna take swipes, then he should expect the same in return, right?.......Mack found a way to at least say nice things on his way out the door...heck, even Johnny issued a nice final statement after getting axed.....so, you reap what you sow....

So you're surprised by human nature?.....boy meets girl, falls in love, she dumps him and then he hates breaks her eardrum....thats how it goes....

Fixed...

So you're surprised by human nature?.....boy meets girl, falls in love, she dumps him and then he hates her....thats how it goes....

My perspective is that Benji shoulda taken the high road first and not swung at Cleveland, after jilting us for more $$$...So, if he's gonna take swipes, then he should expect the same in return, right?.......Mack found a way to at least say nice things on his way out the door...heck, even Johnny issued a nice final statement after getting axed.....so, you reap what you sow....

Is it supposed to be hard to leave arguably the worst franchise (currently) in the NFL?

Is it supposed to be hard to leave arguably the worst franchise (currently) in the NFL?

Nope....but there is a little something call tact and knowing when and how to use it is a big part of being successful in business and in life....and its a true skill to be tactful and classy.....so there are plenty of ways to say you're happy to be in SD and excited about new opportunities, while still expressing positive thoughts about the city, team and teammates you just left....

That 'worst franchise" is the one that drafted him....gave him his opportunity .....and the one that was bad enough that he finally got a chance to play #1 receiver for a season....which is the whole reason he even got a deal in SD......cause for 3 years prior, even with our crapola receivers, he wasnt good enough to start or play....so, maybe if he landed in another city, with a better team, he'd still be riding the bench and sure as hell wouldnt have a $6m contract....guaranteed

Its not like if we didn't draft him, no one else would have

But yes, we were so incompetent that it gave him an opportunity, and he capitalized on it

Sure, he could have just said nothing at all. Or, he could have lied and said it was hard to leave. I don't think he really took a swing at us. I don't think his answer warrants negative responses from the fanbase

No it doesnt warrant a neg response. Hes right. Our fury should be at the team that players cant wait to leave and college kids are terrified of being drafted to.

I got a good laugh at the report that bosa's bro was walking around osu's pro day decked out in titans swag. He should have worn a shirt that said pls for the love of god dont let my bro fall to cleveland

i think it's more the organization than the city. I doubt he really wants to play for either though, but if TN takes him he'll always have that he was a first pick.

The only team drafting ahead of us in 2015 and 2016 is also one we beat in 2014 and 2015 - the Tennessee Titans. That's quite an impressive streak explaining the avalanche from the top. Consequently, both teams have new faces in charge of their draft and personnel today.

While I have more preferable scenarios - this is an alternative we could at least put on the scale for the sake of discussion:

IF the Tits draft Bosa and Tunsil lands on our door step, besides Ghoolie feeling like he has a bad case of food poison - do the Browns draft their future Left Tackle and current starting LG (moving Bitonio to RT shifting Greco to Center and anchoring down with Pazstor at RG). A wild card wrinkle could be signing Wisniewski to keep Greco at RG and Pazstor as a sub. Another possibility is Cam Erving showing up stronger with quicker feet and better pad heights (all doable btw) - leaving the where he fits in best with the coaching staff.

At #32 - wow, do we have options. Knowing how much Horton loves to use the 5 techniques - it's a rich draft at the DT position for the frames of need. There's gotta be some ready for impact guys at #32 overall. Because of the depth of DT in this draft, maybe we can do LBer or Safety or #32 and get our 5 technique near the top of round 3. Another possibility is we could understand Josh Gordon's tendency to hang around with the wrong people (ie; when he exceeds the speed limit my 40 mph and there just so happens to be a bag of marijuana that allegedly belongs to the guy Josh should NOT be hanging out with or more recently seeing him hang out with Manziel in Vegas). Maybe we stop de-prioritizing the WR position right here at #32 overall in a passing era now that Farmer is gone. I don't think we can afford another year of asking a guy that isn't wired to be a #1 WR to pick up the slack for Josh Spiccoli. At 1 time, Doctson was supposed to be available at #32 but fitness tests at the Indy Combine have been known to change projections. Pittsburgh's Tyler Boyd at 6'2" will also be there. We could also consider upgrading Tom Thumb in the slot with somebody like a 6'1" Braxton Miller who could actually pose a scoring threat for a refreshing change? Wouldn't it also be nice to have our QB feeling like he doesn't have to throw a quick slant pass downward? Miller could move around like Benjamin only his cap hit will fall under the new rookie salary cap so the new brass saves money and pleases the Ohio State homers. Speaking of homers, that's hitting it out of the park compared to Farmer.

This alternative has a QB to develop but it isn't someone many is considering at this time while our front office is chewing on how much they want to battle Elway for Kaep against the cap. As me and others have said already - I'm fine with keeping McCown to start the year with but open to thorough research we've been seriously lacking. I've been studying up a guy that kept jumping out at me at the combine - Brandon Doughty. Right now he's rumored to have a Andy Dalton type arm strength on the deep ball heading into the draft. Then again, Dalton finally showed me in 2015 that it is possible to improve it. Feel free to read up on Tom Brady's pre-draft arm strength or what BB told him he needed to do in order to go from blue jeans to suiting up on Sundays. Like Wentz, Doughty comes from a small school program at Western Kentucky. Like Wentz, he's got pretty good height at 6'3" but he was a 3 year starter. You can book it that he'll get nitpicked this time of year. That said, we're looking for an ideal starting point for a guy we don't have to draft until a mid-late round. These are his numbers the last 2 years:

2014 67.9 cmp % 4830 yds 8.8 ypa 49 TD 10 INT

2015 71.9 cmp % 5055 yds 9.4 ypa 48 TD 9 INT

Yeah but did he win like Wentz? Well, Western Kentucky finished 12-2 ranked 24th in the AP poll with an offense that averaged 40 points a game. Their Head Coach was a QB here in Cleveland for a cup of coffee - Jeff Brohm.

I think we now have 11 picks plus we get to see a 2015 draft pick (Ekpre-Olomu) who was rumored to have 1st-2nd round take the field for the first time. I'll take it.

Nope....but there is a little something call tact and knowing when and how to use it is a big part of being successful in business and in life....and its a true skill to be tactful and classy.....so there are plenty of ways to say you're happy to be in SD and excited about new opportunities, while still expressing positive thoughts about the city, team and teammates you just left....Mudfly

Exactly, Mud !

I threw off on him for fun, because by ommission, he was bashing the fans, and the city, and a new regime.

I'm like "it isn't tough leaving us? well don't let the door hit ya on yer way out..."

His reply was low class, wasn't necessary. What did the fans ever do to warrant a "goodbye you're easy to leave

because you suck" kind of statement. Just not smart, even if it was just a mistake. We cheered him, appreciated him

on the field like crazy. Not impressed with it, that's all. I hope he does well with the Jags, unless they play the Browns,

and I hope he gets addicted to donuts and gains 40 lbs. :D

Yep, good kid, stayed out of trouble, improved significantly as a WR despite steady turnover (3 different coaching staffs w/ 4 different OCs in 4 years), also gave us a reliable-elite performance in the return game. Somebody had to be committed enough to lead our WR Corp in 2015 even if it wasn't a #1 WR pedigree.

Nobody will ever mistake him for a superstar; but he wasn't bad for a 4th round draft pick in Cleveland. It would have been fun to see a reliable #1 WR here teaming up with Benjamin, Barnidge and Duke out of the backfield.

Post-exhale, the group we looked to in 2014 when our running game was efficient was very helpful to our 6-4 start before we got Gordon back for our 1-5 finish. I see no reason we can't find a group willing to give us what we got over the first 10 weeks of 2014. Seems easier to tap upside when guys are prioritizing football. Very sad I have to type such a thing; but it is Cleveland where reasonable fans are trained for the unreasonable.

I guess I failed to see his elite return performance. Must have missed those games.

Nope....but there is a little something call tact and knowing when and how to use it is a big part of being successful in business and in life....and its a true skill to be tactful and classy.....so there are plenty of ways to say you're happy to be in SD and excited about new opportunities, while still expressing positive thoughts about the city, team and teammates you just left....Mudfly

Exactly, Mud !

I threw off on him for fun, because by ommission, he was bashing the fans, and the city, and a new regime.

I'm like "it isn't tough leaving us? well don't let the door hit ya on yer way out..."

His reply was low class, wasn't necessary. What did the fans ever do to warrant a "goodbye you're easy to leave

because you suck" kind of statement. Just not smart, even if it was just a mistake. We cheered him, appreciated him

on the field like crazy. Not impressed with it, that's all. I hope he does well with the Jags, unless they play the Browns,

and I hope he gets addicted to donuts and gains 40 lbs. :D

LOL! I got your threw off on him right here. This isn't one of your better posts Cal I thought Mud articulated it extremely well about the high road. I wish Benjamin handled that better.

You went from saying the reply was low class to role modeling the style you're protesting. If I was the WR not wired to be a #1 only seen by many as just a #2 or #3 WR at best with very good return skills noticing that Bowe was the WR guaranteed 9 million $ in 2015 and whatever FA $ Hawk has robbed our cap with during tenure here while Josh Spiccoli was serving his 6th football suspension (counting the one that wasn't drug related in 2014 when Josh was failing to deliver on his we'll see the best version of him yet promises hitting the toilet paper).

Travis had 4 different OCs in 4 years with 3 different Head Coaches, countless QBs and 1 major reconstruction to hurdle to arrive at what we saw from him in 2015. I'm sure there were sour grapes from the only guy that stepped up to be our #1 WR in 2015 on top of what he added in the return game. If he knows he's NOT #1 WR material and he had the best season of anyone in our entire WR Corps facing the best corner of our opponents - he prolly wanted to be rewarded or at least acknowledged for what he gave us in 2 different roles playing his best football at 26 years of age. He should have communicated his disappointment to the appropriate people inclusive of his agent rather than choosing passive aggressive elsewhere. He feels he wasn't the guy we had to read about going way over the speed limit when there was a bag of marijuana in the car that allegedly/conveniently belonged to a guy he shouldn't have been hanging around with in between suspensions for dirty urine.

And do you really think Manziel was classy by saying nice things about Cleveland and fans while his actions never stopped giving us 2 middle fingers?

I guess I failed to see his elite return performance. Must have missed those games.

Thanks a lot Couch! LOL! You had my back like Brutus and Cassius had Julius Caesar's.

Okay, he's just a good scoring weapon in the return game before the knee injury and 2 years post op. I still remember the last time we beat Buffalo in a night game Weeden took over for the injured Hoyer. if it wasn't for TJ Ward's pick 6 and Benjamin's return for a TD we prolly don't win that defensive battle of backup QBs. That said, if he didn't score 3 TDs vrs the TN Titans (2 via pass and 1 via return) - we'd be owning the first pick of the draft in 2016.

Thanks a lot Couch! LOL! You had my back like Brutus and Cassius had Julius Caesar's.

That said, if he didn't score 3 TDs vrs the TN Titans (2 via pass and 1 via return) - we'd be owning the first pick of the draft in 2016.

And he would have had only 2 for the whole season....;)

Archived