THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 5 living Rock Icons

Chuck Berry

Bob Dylan

Mick Jagger

Eric Clapton

Bob Seger

These are just my favorites. There are many greats out there & tastes vary.

Mike

Not bad, but I was actually trying to go for a bit of an objective standard with this question. Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.

Love me some Bob Seger....but objectively....gotta go with Pauly...but the rest of your list is pretty much spot on.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad, but I was actually trying to go for a bit of an objective standard with this question. Any objective listing on this subject pretty much has to have Paul McCartney at the top of it.

Love me some Bob Seger....but objectively....gotta go with Pauly...but the rest of your list is pretty much spot on.

What is objective about any of this Gipp?

It can't be an exact science of course. I would say as objectively as you can how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize the name Frank Sinatra? And how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize Dave Grohl or his band?

It's not an insult to the lesser-known artist just a fact. Has nothing to do with taste. I don't like Led Zeppelin but I would have to admit they are certainly Rock icons of the first order.

WSS

It can't be an exact science of course. I would say as objectively as you can how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize the name Frank Sinatra? And how many people from all spectrums of life would recognize Dave Grohl or his band?

It's not an insult to the lesser-known artist just a fact. Has nothing to do with taste. I don't like Led Zeppelin but I would have to admit they are certainly Rock icons of the first order.

WSS

tons that aren't old. How many people under 50 are going to pick chuck berry out of a lineup or name any of his songs? It's a bit of a generational thing I think. Put chuck berry, chubby checker, little richard and James Brown in a lineup and see how many millenials can correctly pick them out. That's probably different for guys like Paul McCartney but even he was recently denied, twice, entry to an after Grammy party.

So I dont think you can deny guys like Grohl and Hetfield their status because you're not as familiar with them.

tons that aren't old. How many people under 50 are going to pick chuck berry out of a lineup or name any of his songs? It's a bit of a generational thing I think. Put chuck berry, chubby checker, little richard and James Brown in a lineup and see how many millenials can correctly pick them out. That's probably different for guys like Paul McCartney but even he was recently denied, twice, entry to an after Grammy party.

So I dont think you can deny guys like Grohl and Hetfield their status because you're not as familiar with them.

I'm quite familiar with them.

Baseball football and soccer are iconic Sports. Lots of people like lacrosse and curling but I don't put them in the same category. If it makes their fans feel special then fuck it go for it.

WSS

there's plenty that would argue with you over the icon status of the sports you've named. Ive read somewhere that table tennis has a greater fanbase world-wide than Football. So, you know, whatever. It's what's iconic to you. It's an incredibly subjective topic no matter what anyone thinks SHOULD be objective.

there's plenty that would argue with you over the icon status of the sports you've named. Ive read somewhere that table tennis has a greater fanbase world-wide than Football. So, you know, whatever. It's what's iconic to you. It's an incredibly subjective topic no matter what anyone thinks SHOULD be objective.

Right.....actually just looked up the definitin of "icon" to see if my perspective is actually even correct.....and it basically means "a person that is revered".....so.....there are icons of all eras and types and they probably can be generational, as well as geographic, etc....

For this post....The top 5 rock icons....Id say it depends on if it's "your" top 5 or the worlds top 5.......so younger people would err to people who are iconic to their generation(or their icons).....us older guys might pick people who have been iconic longer(or the worlds).....cause Mcartney or Elvis were "icons" for longer than a lot folks have even been alive.....and to some of us older folks, guys like Grohl are just getting started.....

Just to play devils advocate.....James Hetfield and Metallica play to a very select group that likes heavy metal rock and, while they are icons of that genre, there music really doesnt cross over much into groups that like other types of music...so, they have a fairly focused group of fans, that is about 30 years into listening to them....

Santana....however....has been doing it for 50 years and crosses several genres....rock, pop, latin, percussive.....they also have attracted more fans from different generations....and Carlos pretty much created his own genre that sounds like no one but him..... while, I think a lot of people would tell you that Metallica sounds like a million other bands(or vice versa) and definitely didnt create their own genre.....so, I know its all perspective, but I have to believe Santana has touched and influence way more people, in way more musical genres for way more time.....

that's your prerogative to think that, and trying to tell someone their opinion is wrong is usually a pretty stupid endeavor.

certainly didnt mean it that way....at all.....so, apologize if you took that way.....

Just offering a different perspective on who was influenced by who....thats all....no more no less....

I mean.....didnt you just tell Steve his sports analogy was wrong and the Santana people they were wrong?....or am I missing something...

What is objective about any of this Gipp?

I know it can't be totally objective....but I think that there can be a fairly clear situation about who is more famous...if you will.

I mean, objectively....if I came up with some name that you had never heard of, I don't think that I could really have a claim that that is one of the most famous persons alive.

Would you argue against the proposition that Paul McCartney is one of the most famous persons alive?

Actually...yes, I think you can....because familiarity is part of the point. Another part of the point as far as Rock Icons is concerned is their contribution to the genre.

I dont think that there is any legitimate guitarists who would tell you that there was no influence upon what he did by Chuck Berry....who literally invented what it is to be a rock guitarist.

Right.....actually just looked up the definitin of "icon" to see if my perspective is actually even correct.....and it basically means "a person that is revered".....so.....there are icons of all eras and types and they probably can be generational, as well as geographic, etc....

For this post....The top 5 rock icons....Id say it depends on if it's "your" top 5 or the worlds top 5.......so younger people would err to people who are iconic to their generation(or their icons).....us older guys might pick people who have been iconic longer(or the worlds).....cause Mcartney or Elvis were "icons" for longer than a lot folks have even been alive.....and to some of us older folks, guys like Grohl are just getting started.....

I guess, perhaps we could limit ourselves to the English speaking.....or even American "world".

As, after all, even an icon in America may not be one in England, or vice versa.

Like the guy: Clint Richards or Richardson or the like

Big, big, huge in the UK......but barely a blip over here.

Just to play devils advocate.....James Hetfield and Metallica play to a very select group that likes heavy metal rock and, while they are icons of that genre, there music really doesnt cross over much into groups that like other types of music...so, they have a fairly focused group of fans, that is about 30 years into listening to them....

Santana....however....has been doing it for 50 years and crosses several genres....rock, pop, latin, percussive.....they also have attracted more fans from different generations....and Carlos pretty much created his own genre that sounds like no one but him..... while, I think a lot of people would tell you that Metallica sounds like a million other bands(or vice versa) and definitely didnt create their own genre.....so, I know its all perspective, but I have to believe Santana has touched and influence way more people, in way more musical genres for way more time.....

Agree completely....Hetfield (whose name I just learned)....belongs apparently famously to a niche. Santana....whose name I have known for those 50 years....has had much broader public awareness.

Agree completely....Hetfield (whose name I just learned)....belongs apparently famously to a niche. Santana....whose name I have known for those 50 years....has had much broader public awareness.

This is another bad case of Gipper saying "Well I know Person A better therefore person A is better"

Metallica is extremely mainstream. They may have been a niche when they first came on the scene in the 1980s but that has gone the way of the dinosaurs some time ago.

This is another bad case of Gipper saying "Well I know Person A better therefore person A is better"

Metallica is extremely mainstream. They may have been a niche when they first came on the scene in the 1980s but that has gone the way of the dinosaurs some time ago.

Who the fuck said anything about "Better". This is about being "Iconic".....more well known....more "revered".

Go ahead....try this test: Go downtown to Public Square....and just stop ever other random person on the street and ask two questions:

A. Do you know who James Hetfield is? (more than likely people will say: Is that one of the guys that had the feud with the McCoys"

B. Do you know who Carlos Santana is? (you might get some that say "Indians catcher, no"...but tons tons more will know Santana over James Hetfield.

And FYI, "Public Square" is not some headbanger club on the west side.

Archived