THE BROWNS BOARD

Michigan lands best recruit in country

MLD Woody

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The list of red flags on him is endless. Not fielding a full roster was just the first for me. We just built the third biggest stadium in the country. People expect more than "be better than our wholly mediocre previous teams" at this point.

Hard to do that when A&M was in the Big 12, now they are in the SEC it will be even harder. Sometimes the ceiling is where it is and you have to hope you catch lightning in a bottle.

We are the only SEC school in the state. If you can't recruit off of that, I can't help you. And Sumlin can't. Not adequately, anyway.

Maybe the SEC brand don't mean shit to people in Texas. I hear that Charlie Strong of The University of Texas just had a hell of a recruiting class.

Maybe not a better recruiting class....but TCU has had the better teams for like a decade or more now.

I know, but that's irrelevant to the context here. If anything, it only serves to show un"attractive" TCU is since they've had such good teams and still can't get tier 1 guys.

Don't think we've had a worse recruiting class than TCU in my entire lifetime. So, clearly not. Troll better next time.

Recruiting rankings are completely overblown. Evaluating high school talent is more difficult than college and we see how well professionals do in the NFL draft. You can hold your head high that A&M has good recruiting numbers through rivals but the fact of the matter is they have rarely been a national contender with and without Kevin Sumlin. They finished inside the top 10 in the AP poll once in 20 years, oh by the way that was under Kevin Sumlin. TCU has finished in the top 10 in the AP poll 5 times in the last 10 years. Gary Patterson so awesome every NFL team wanted him this year.

Recruiting rankings are completely overblown. Evaluating high school talent is more difficult than college and we see how well professionals do in the NFL draft. You can hold your head high that A&M has good recruiting numbers through rivals but the fact of the matter is they have rarely been a national contender with and without Kevin Sumlin. They finished inside the top 10 in the AP poll once in 20 years, oh by the way that was under Kevin Sumlin. TCU has finished in the top 10 in the AP poll 5 times in the last 10 years. Gary Patterson so awesome every NFL team wanted him this year.

Let's just put it this way (and recall "unattractive" was the word YOU chose):

A&M has landed more prospects with TCU offers than vice versa every year either of us have been alive.

People saying recruiting rankings are overblown is overblown.

Yes, there are exceptions, but on average I'd rather have a 4* than 3*

My name's BaconHound. I say dumb stuff then just switch it up when I get completely embarrassed on said dumb stuff.

Nice! Resisted the my dad can beat up your dad argument.

If Woody and you believe that recruiting ranking dictates college football success than so be it.

If you think A&M has been a better college football program than TCU over the last 10 years, that's your opinion.

Professionals evaluating 21 & 22 year olds for the NFL who have been adequately assessed on the field, on tape and at the combine are about as accurate as a coin flip but people can believe college coaches can see the talent in 17 year olds throughout the entire country.

Now I never made the argument that recruiting isn't important or that coaching isn't important but that no one aspect overwhelms the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did I say we've been the better program? Nowhere. You said TCU was more attractive. Recruiting has disproved that. Now you're arguing against things I never said. Simple as that.

We live in a statistical society but if "projections" and "ratings" were even close to an exact science then there are a lot of coaches and GMs that no absolutely nothing about football. I don't have the time nor the inclination to show over a ten year period that the Rivals.com/ESPN.com recruiting class rating compared to the final AP polls aren't close.

I guess it is very fashionable in here to believe that your team, like the Browns, is comprised of incredible talent year after year that is being suffocated by poor coaching. The opposite would mean your team isn't as talented as you'd like it to be and won't be as competitive as you think they should be.

We live in a statistical society but if "projections" and "ratings" were even close to an exact science then there are a lot of coaches and GMs that no absolutely nothing about football. I don't have the time nor the inclination to show over a ten year period that the Rivals.com/ESPN.com recruiting class rating compared to the final AP polls aren't close.

I guess it is very fashionable in here to believe that your team, like the Browns, is comprised of incredible talent year after year that is being suffocated by poor coaching. The opposite would mean your team isn't as talented as you'd like it to be and won't be as competitive as you think they should be.

No one is saying it is an exact science. But acting like they're meaningless is idiotic.

Archived