THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Lynch

CaineDeSoulis

Camp "Draft a late round talent with the 2nd pick"

I mean seriously, I'm a huge supporter of drafting Goff, and wouldn't mind a guy like Wentz. But come on, Paxton Lynch is a mid to late round draft pick.

I would rather draft someone like Treadwell or Bosa if we aren't going QB, but I really don't think that's going to happen

How do you figure hes a mid to late round pick? Everything Ive seen has him going first round. The difference in physical tools between the first 3 QBs is small. Youre not drafting a QB on what he did last year in college. Youre drafting a QB on how hes projected 5 years down the road. The things that will differentiate these QBs down the road are not measurable, nor can they be seen on tape. Things like mental capacity, anticipation, nerves, preperation, and leadership abilities will be the deciding factor on whos the best. Everyone complains that Paxton threw the ball short too much. Is that really his fault? Maybe the coach is ultra conservative. Maybe they didnt trust the oline and couldnt risk getting him hurt. Maybe his recievers couldnt get seperation. Who knows? Ill tell ya one thing, his chance of success based on physical tools alone are on par if not exceeding Goff. This decision should be made based on interviews and research. Interviews with these players, their coaches, their parents, and their teammates. Research on their schoolwork, demeanor, and work ethic.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree wentz has yhe advantage of playing a pro style offense but not as much competition as lynch has had also not near as much experience

Went plays a *lot* of read option, out of shotgun a lot, and a strangely high amount of the time it's on a reverse. He'll do that a lot less in the pros, I feel.

Lynch attended a Super Bowl party with the Haslam's Saturday. The Browns are going after a quarterback and are already looking. Mudfly is spot on about wasting another first round pick with so many needs. Farmer's two drafts set us back with no QB, wide recievers

And it's going to take a few years to reboot. I'm with Mudfly on this. We need an edge rusher, OT, wide receiver, running back, lineman, and a franchise quarterback in a year where the QB's are underwhelming.

Can we find a diamond in the rough? Brady, Kaepernick or Russell Wilson? Can we get a free agent? Or groom a too skinny Goff, Lynch or Wentz?

Hue Jackson has his work cut out for him that's for sure.

Lynch attended a Super Bowl party with the Haslam's Saturday. The Browns are going after a quarterback and are already looking. Mudfly is spot on about wasting another first round pick with so many needs. Farmer's two drafts set us back with no QB, wide recievers

And it's going to take a few years to reboot. I'm with Mudfly on this. We need an edge rusher, OT, wide receiver, running back, lineman, and a franchise quarterback in a year where the QB's are underwhelming.

Can we find a diamond in the rough? Brady, Kaepernick or Russell Wilson? Can we get a free agent? Or groom a too skinny Goff, Lynch or Wentz?

Hue Jackson has his work cut out for him that's for sure.

Edge rusher: obvious choice: Bosa

WR: Josh Gordon plus a draft pick

RB: We have Crowell, Duke Johnson....we just need them to be what they can be (plus...late round choice)

QB? How about Connor Cook?

Lineman: are you talking OL or DL?

I meant DL but what do I know! Farmer messed us up so of course I Want wide receivers. I'm going to keep my mouth shut until free agency in case we lose Schwartz and Mack, Gipson.

Is it more likely that the browns trade down and pick up lynch in the top 10 rather than at number 2?

It's unlikely anyone picks Lynch up in the top ten.

But, I can't see us trading back and still taking a qb. If they think there is *the* QB to have, they won't hesitate to take him.

But, I can't see us trading back and still taking a qb. If they think there is *the* QB to have, they won't hesitate to take him.

Im with you on both counts....and have said this before.....if "the guy" is there, you take him....period.

But, this year, if he's not....Id prefer they just pass on taking their "project" in the 2nd or 3rd, cause we need so many players.....just tap the best overall players with the first 3 or 4 picks, then grab your project QB later.....

Cause pick #32 might as well be pick #22 and I dont want to burn another late first round pick on a Weeden, Quinn or Manziel...we cant afford to keep doing that...

Im with you on both counts....and have said this before.....if "the guy" is there, you take him....period.

But, this year, if he's not....Id prefer they just pass on taking their "project" in the 2nd or 3rd, cause we need so many players.....just tap the best overall players with the first 3 or 4 picks, then grab your project QB later.....

Cause pick #32 might as well be pick #22 and I dont want to burn another late first round pick on a Weeden, Quinn or Manziel...we cant afford to keep doing that...

I agree. Get the guy or bust. I wouldn't want to see them take a flyer on a shaky QB prospect with a 2nd or 3rd rounder just because. If their guy is there they need to get him, but otherwise I'd rather not draft a QB at all.

Agreed entirely.

And I'll add that even though I'm in Camp Goff and feel very confident there, if the FO doesn't draft a QB I trust them enough to figure it's because the right guy isn't in this draft.

I believe lynch has the talent and the physical gifts to be selected as the number 2 overall pick by the browns. Goff lacks even modest arm strength to be blunt. Carson Wentz and Lynch I believe are the type of QB the browns are looking for. That being said we can pretty much rule out Goff. Lynch had one of the most effective deep balls in CFB last year has shown constant improvement his whole college career. I've watched every video of each of the top 3 on draftbreakdown and i can honestly say lynch outperforms wentz on tape. not to say Goff doesn't look like a fine QB but in my observation he looked a bit "weak" to put it lightly. Really soft player. Fantastic! with a clean pocket but can react poorly when pressured. when goff is asked to rely on his arm is when he is at his worst. But with proper strength training and probably a year maybe two on the bench he could be a great QB. Biggest concern with Wentz over lynch is Wentz has a history of injury to his throwing arm which is concerning.

A stellar perfomance from Lynch in the Combine and a good pro day and we could easily see him as the next QB for the Browns|

To be completely honest this draft is shaping to have 3 QB selected in the top 15. From a supposed "weak" QB class. Food for thought

I believe lynch has the talent and the physical gifts to be selected as the number 2 overall pick by the browns. Goff lacks even modest arm strength to be blunt. Carson Wentz and Lynch I believe are the type of QB the browns are looking for. That being said we can pretty much rule out Goff. Lynch had one of the most effective deep balls in CFB last year has shown constant improvement his whole college career. I've watched every video of each of the top 3 on draftbreakdown and i can honestly say lynch outperforms wentz on tape. not to say Goff doesn't look like a fine QB but in my observation he looked a bit "weak" to put it lightly. Really soft player. Fantastic! with a clean pocket but can react poorly when pressured. when goff is asked to rely on his arm is when he is at his worst. But with proper strength training and probably a year maybe two on the bench he could be a great QB. Biggest concern with Wentz over lynch is Wentz has a history of injury to his throwing arm which is concerning.

A stellar perfomance from Lynch in the Combine and a good pro day and we could easily see him as the next QB for the Browns|

To be completely honest this draft is shaping to have 3 QB selected in the top 15. From a supposed "weak" QB class. Food for thought

Yes, I have said, these QBs will be overdrafted. This could be a Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert Christian Ponder kind of year.

Never say never... anyone still playing FirstPick has seen a shift in the game's Top Ten action.

There are scenarios where the competition among teams who have franchise QBs on their roster get in competition for top position players. Someone wins, takes a player and the previous bidders for another position compete for the next pick. Some team misses, but has a close #2 at the position taken and is now afraid they'll miss both their guys. Should one of the latter gain the next pick, then suddenly you have a budding run on a position.

And the beat goes on...

The above opens a path to moving back a few spots and still getting "our QB"... whomever, it may be. The above is certainly helped by having two or more QBs rated equally, a situation I do not see, but understand may be the case.

Positions ebb and flow...

Won't see meaningful movement for about two more weeks. Even then the QB movement will be dictated more by other position players' performances than the QBs.

Agreed with very little, Em, thinking less of Lynch than you did every step of the way.

And then you grade him as a 4th Round prospect? I did chuckle...

• 2 months later...

Welp we have moved back in the draft and picking lynch is a pretty clear possibility so i thought i would bring this topic back to the first page. With number 8 or 32 the browns could very well have the qb of the future. I would love to see us take him at 32 but most experts have him going in the early to mid 1st. If we want him we wont be missing out on too much to take him at 8. Especially considering we have future picks to build with including multiple 1st rounders. Not as huge of a risk to take a prototype QB.

Our coach/team has met with lynch more than the other qb prospects anyway so could be a tell.

Personally i thought wentz == lynch in terms of development time anyway so again this is a pretty low risk pick.

Finally watched Paxton's Gruden last nite... Pleasant guy, but something just was "off".

• Overlooked that he played in a Steeler uniform as a kid... easier for me than some here.
  • Bugged me more that he did not know the scores of big games Memphis had won. I can remember my best rounds of golf on my home course and , for lack of a better term, most memorable rounds on famous courses like St Andrews, virtually shot for shot... and most of those were 20 or so years ago.
  • Was a little goofy, but every QB was to some degree this season... except maybe Cardale. For the most part the younger QBs were more nervous... maturity factor maybe tempering their nerves and reaction to Chuckie. He did relax as episode unrolled.

Then it hit me... intensity... fire... I just did not sense it. I just did not see it.

Then there was the outside work. Unlike even Cardale when Gruden asked for quicker, Paxton simply could not get quicker. And unlike some (Wheezy) it was not his release, that is not bad for a tall QB. It's actually fairly compact. It's his feet and shoulders and getting his arm into throwing position. They can't do "quick". Game tape review just now confirmed this. Pro DBs are going to jump routes on him big time. There are some signs of him processing a defense, but not that many and not that fast.

I can see why Ghoulie likes PL... game tape is Derek Carr revisited. Memphis' offense seemed very reminiscent of Fresno St.'s. But Derek had the quickness to bring his game to the Pros. He can snap to position to throw to a secondary WR. On the few occasions I saw Paxton revert to a 2nd, he tended to launch from wherever his platform was pointed at the time and accuracy suffered. Mostly this was on the move masking the problem, but it's there.

I saw one snap early vs. Memphis when he sat in a clean pocket in the middle of the field bouncing on his toes. Unfortunately he threw short to the near hash without resetting just that little bit, maybe 15 degrees tops, and ended up throwing behind his open TE.

In summary I see a guy with no twitch (as in quick) or itch (as in to be great at the next level).

So there it is... my take.

Let me have it Ghoulie...

Well, one thing is for certain, if the Browns take Lynch at #8, Sashi was in Camp Ghoolie all along.

If the Browns take Lynch- I'll buy you a beer- but you're going to have to drive to Nashville to collect on it. :)

Personally, as of today, The Hoorta is in Camp Elliot- but if he's off the board, I'm in camp BPA. Fer sure, I'll be parked in front of the Big Screen with a large quantity of wine and munchies Thursday.

I'm not in favor of any further trade-downs unless Sashi gets a truly stupid offer from another team like the Eagles just gifted us.

Archived