THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I like about Goff outside of the skills is how he brought California from being a laughing stock to respectable in three years. Going from 1-11 to 8-5 sure counts on a lot of other people, but also shows a lot about what he brought to the team. That directly translates into what we need in Cleveland.

I'd lay that more at the feet of Sonny Dykes. Guy is a wizard.

only just now getting started watching these guys, but Im liking what I see of Goff.....Im all about D, but at this point, wouldnt mind if we tapped him.....looks good....

I'm always weary of highlight reels because they are inherently biased, but I have to say...I'm pretty impressed. The things that impressed me are his ability to stand tall in the pocket under pressure, and the tremendous touch he has on the deep ball. Goff sees single coverage and he goes after it. I also like the escapability aspect of his game too. Now, he won't get confused with being Russell Wilson, but he displays enough pocket feel and mobility to get the job done. There were several throws that showed him standing tall while two or three guys rushed free at him, and he delivered strikes. Not only that, he wasn't just throwing bombs against lesser teams in single coverage. He hit some nice seam throws, slants, and some nice corner-timing throws in the red zone. I want to see more of his red zone numbers...that's where we really struggle.

For any of our QB prospects to even have a chance, we simply MUST get some better WR's. I love Benjamin as the #3, or possibly the #2, but we need more horse power. Everybody knows I'm I have a man crush on Josh Gordon, and I honestly think he has a good chance to play for us again. But I'm smart enough to know that we can't count on him, and our staff knows this too. We have to figure out a way to get some WR help, and if we're using the first rounder on Goff/Lynch/Wentz, I'm not sure we can go WR in the second round, as our defense is desperate for attention.

I'm always weary of highlight reels because they are inherently biased, but I have to say...I'm pretty impressed.

I love Benjamin as the #3, or possibly the #2, but we need more horse power. Everybody knows I'm I have a man crush on Josh Gordon, and I honestly think he has a good chance to play for us again.

Right....highlight reels do show only the best....so its always good to watch the edited game tapes, which show every snap.....though you can still evaluate mechanics, footwork, progressions, etc on a highlight reel.....

Im all in on JG....my guess is that he'll show up and play well......Im with ya on Benji, he's definitely not a #1, so we need someone to fill that role and Im hoping its JG.....though Im sure we will tap another WR somewhere in the draft or FA

The WR I love is Alshon Jeffery...

However, I'm sure many other teams also covet him, so I doubt we'll also try. I was screaming for Maclin last year, but I just don't think we'll ever grab players of that ilk. Now now anyways. We so desperately need a "jump ball guy" for red zone scoring. I'm so damn tired of settling for FG's or turning it over on downs.

Gordon, if you're out there...please...PLEASE be the guy our team needs. If you can get 1600 yards with Weeden, then you can do better with McCown. Lord we need Gordon.

Goff is going to look amazing if we pair him with Gordon, Jeffrey, Benjamin, Barnidge and can get a decent running game.

Our red zone struggles were definitely not helped by midget receivers and the lack of running game, but Goff can drop the ball in on fades better than anybody in this draft class (and anybody on this roster) - if he gets a couple of big targets then look out - he's very good at delivering through tight windows (the best)

Right....highlight reels do show only the best....so its always good to watch the edited game tapes, which show every snap.....though you can still evaluate mechanics, footwork, progressions, etc on a highlight reel.....

Im all in on JG....my guess is that he'll show up and play well......Im with ya on Benji, he's definitely not a #1, so we need someone to fill that role and Im hoping its JG.....though Im sure we will tap another WR somewhere in the draft or FA

Highlight reels can be good also - if someone's highlight reel shows major flaws, you don't really need to watch the rest of the game tape so much.

Gabbert is going to look amazing if we pair him with Gordon, Jeffrey, Benjamin, Barnidge and can get a decent running game.

Our red zone struggles were definitely not helped by midget receivers and the lack of running game, but Christian Ponder can drop the ball in on fades better than anybody in this draft class (and anybody on this roster) - if he gets a couple of big targets then look out - he's very good at delivering through tight windows (the best)

Goff is going to look amazing if we pair him with Gordon, Jeffrey, Benjamin, Barnidge and can get a decent running game.

Our red zone struggles were definitely not helped by midget receivers and the lack of running game, but Goff can drop the ball in on fades better than anybody in this draft class (and anybody on this roster) - if he gets a couple of big targets then look out - he's very good at delivering through tight windows (the best)

I don't disagree with any of that, but to pull it off we would have to totally ignore the fact we have no true ability to pressure any QB. It has created a mess with our defense. And if we can't get the D off the field, then we don't have that awesome offense out there scoring.

Edit PS-Aggie Michael Bennett wins Pro-Bowl Defensive MVP - Myles Garrett next year's draft is a far better player. On Von Miller's level as a pass rusher.

I don't disagree with any of that, but to pull it off we would have to totally ignore the fact we have no true ability to pressure any QB. It has created a mess with our defense.

No - it just means instead of taking Bosa we'll have to settle for another premier DE/OLB talent (there's plenty of it this year)

Franchise QBs are harder to find than pass rushers.

No - it just means instead of taking Bosa we'll have to settle for another premier DE/OLB talent (there's plenty of it this year)

Franchise QBs are harder to find than pass rushers.

So if your 2nd rounder for the Browns is D, then where do you get all those others you mentioned?

So if your #2 for the Browns is D, then where do you get all those others you mentioned?

I didn't mention anybody else except for Gordon, Jeffrey, Benjamin, Barnidge, and a "decent running game"

Gordon/Benjamin/Barnidge are already on the team (Benjamin is FA), decent running game can come from later round picks, UDFA for a decent fullback/blocking TE, coaching idk - whatever it takes to fix it probably won't require #32.

And Jeffrey is also a FA.

So #2 - Goff, #32 - defense (depending on what's available)

Calhoun, Nassib, Spence there's a ton of options that could help our pass rush in the 2nd round.

;)

So if your 2nd rounder for the Browns is D, then where do you get all those others you mentioned?

Big targets? As discussed, someone like Jeffrey in free agency, teamed with Gordon and Barnidge, maybe a big TE taken later on and/or maybe Pryor.

... Goff can drop the ball in on fades better than ... anybody on this roster)...

No argument, but we tried so few, it is hard to know.

Highlight reels can be good also - if someone's highlight reel shows major flaws, you don't really need to watch the rest of the game tape so much.

Highlight reels are called highlight reels for a reason.

Calhoun, Nassib, Spence there's a ton of options that could help our pass rush in the 2nd round.

In my mind's eye Spence looks so good in Kruger's old role...

It's funny when gipper digs his heels in. More so when he's wrong (more often than not).

Usually 100% right.

In this stupid QB Camp bullshit I am really just pulling BB8s legs on it.....as I have no real clue if he or Wentz or Lynch or any of these guys are good enough to be taken with the #2 choice.

The guy on the radio today from I believe Optimum Scouting (on WKNR) said the Browns would be better off going Bosa....and getting a QB later.

I am in the camp of getting some sumbitch that can actually play football good, and not some sumbitches like the ones we have endured as our first round picks the last several year.

If its a QB, good...we need one.

If its a pass rusher, good, we need one.

If its a LB, good, we need one.

Just get me a motherfucker that we can say in the future that he could have HOF potential. Except for JT, we have not had that in nearly 40 years.

Here's a nice piece from optimum scouting:

http://optimumscouting.com/scouts-notes/state-of-the-draft-wentz-team-matches-connor-cook-woes-stanleyoakman-concerns-much-more.html

It's about several prospects - but in terms of Goff he says many people believe he'll emerge as the top prospect after working with the white board in OC meetings - and he's the only one without a single off the field concern.

Mentions Wentz is still a bit unknown due to lack of detailed study of his tape.

http://optimumscouting.com/scouts-notes/state-of-the-draft-wentz-team-matches-connor-cook-woes-stanleyoakman-concerns-much-more.html

It's about several prospects - but in terms of Goff he says many people believe he'll emerge as the top prospect after working with the white board in OC meetings - and he's the only one without a single off the field concern.

Mentions Wentz is still a bit unknown due to lack of detailed study of his tape.

OK, people bitched at me about saying Bill Polian didn't think any of these QB were worth a first round pick. This service, fairly well respected updated its QB list yesterday. Here are their QB rankings:

2016 NFL DRAFT QUARTERBACK RANKINGS

Posted by Eric Galko on Sep 1, 2015 12:00

Share(218)Tweet

Rankings: QBRBWRTEOTOGCDTDEOLBILBCBS

Big Board

Updated: February 1st

These rankings are based on our evaluations, not where they are projected to be drafted.

# Name College Ht Wt Round

1 Lynch, Paxton Memphis 6’6 230 2nd

2 Goff, Jared California 6’4 210 2nd

3 Wentz, Carson North Dakota State 6’5 231 2nd

4 Hackenberg, Christian Penn State 6’4 236 2nd

5 Cook, Connor Michigan State 6’4 218 3rd

6 Jones, Cardale Ohio State 6’5 240 3rd

7 Brissett, Jacoby NC State 6’4 235 5th

8 Adams Jr, Vernon Oregon 6’0 190 6th

9 Allen, Brandon Arkansas 6’3 210 6th

10 Sudfeld, Nate Indiana 6’5 240 6th

11 Doughty, Brandon Western Kentucky 6’3 220 7th

12 Prescott, Dak Mississippi State 6’2 230 7th

13 Frohnappel, Blake Massachusettes 6’5 233 7th

See the red for which round they think these players should go in. Not a first round talent in the bunch.

Awesome...

Between the ears is certainly where I see Goff separating himself. Just seems to me he "gets" the position...

See the red for which round they think these players should go in. Not a first round talent in the bunch.

At least you have a source now, but it's still early and some of their connections seem to think Goff will emerge as #1 after he gets to meeting with teams.

But it's only one, everybody else grades them out as first round talents so far.

At least NFL DraftScout does...

• Goff 1
  • Wentz 1
  • Lynch 1/2
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2016&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

On their Big Board they now have:

Goff at #4;

Wentz at #10; and

Lynch at #28.

Big drop for Lynch who was initially at #17 IIRC...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2016&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

At least NFL DraftScout does...

• Goff 1
  • Wentz 1
  • Lynch 1/2
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2016&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

On their Big Board they now have:

Goff at #4;

Wentz at #10; and

Lynch at #28.

Big drop for Lynch who was initially at #17 IIRC...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/top750.php?draftyear=2016&sortby=rateall&order=ASC

One of the NFL network draft guys had Goff going to us at #2 and Wentz going to Dallas at #4.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/02/01/bob-sturms-draft-profile-series-californias-jared-goff-highest-ceiling-qb-group

Pretty good, of course he's talking about Goff for Dallas, but some pretty good content there that's pretty consistent with what others have said.

I like this piece though:

Goff is an exceptional talent who is the youngest of the three, the shortest of the three, and the lightest of the three. That said, it can easily be argued that he is also the most accomplished of the three, has played the highest level of competition of the three, and has the best mental understanding of the position of the three.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/02/01/bob-sturms-draft-profile-series-californias-jared-goff-highest-ceiling-qb-group

Pretty good, of course he's talking about Goff for Dallas, but some pretty good content there that's pretty consistent with what others have said.

I like this piece though:

Shortest of the three would be a concern if he weren't 6'4". Lightest...yeah, 215lbs is a bit light for a QB of that size. Even Mingo can approach 240.

Shortest of the three would be a concern if he weren't 6'4". Lightest...yeah, 215lbs is a bit light for a QB of that size. Even Mingo can approach 240.

Yea the height is irrelevant, the size hasn't been an issue for him and he had a sieve for an OL. Getting into an NFL conditioning program will likely do him quite a bit of good.

I value the mental understanding more than 20 pounds though.

lmao....all these threads and discussions are ridiculous. Nobody has a clue which of these three guys(if any, or if all?) will become excellent starters in the nfl. None are in the automatic bust category, and certainly none are in the "he's definately going to be a sure thing" category......

I couldn't give two shits who gets 'hot' in pre-draft meetings and workouts and whatnot. If we pick one of these guys, we'll just have to see what we get after they play a bit. Would I like the guy we pick to be peyton manning? Sure....but I'm sure as hell not getting my hopes up.

Archived