THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

This clip shows one thing and one thing only - confirmation bias. Just like you said.

People who don't like Goff will see a poor PA fake, short armed throw and an absolutely ugly pass.

People who do like Goff will see a decent side step, great anticipation and perfect ball placement.

People who don't care either way will see both and wonder "it's impressive, yet how often will that work in the NFL?"

Goff is a good talent. If Goff can thread the same needles in the NFL, he'll be a great pro. Just like people pile on Wentz that the speed of the game will change, the speed changes the exact same for Goff. That's really all there is to it.

In a nutshell, good summary.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catching a DUI on spring break a year after getting into a drunken brawl at spring break will likely not help his draft position. Browns could draft him but they just have to cage him up on spring break.

In most cases, but it seems that coach Jackson sees himself as a redeemer of Lost Souls. Kaepernick, Griffin and Pryor all failed quarterbacks with attitude problems.

(just not you know who ;) )

WSS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Time seems about right for a Goff-guy to dredge up this oldie... :)

Jury is still out, not ready to gloat.... yet... but after a mixed debut in bad weather, Jared played well vs. Saints in NOLA... not the toughest Defensive test in the league, but it's not nothing.

In another thread I just cited Bill Polian's comment on NFL Insiders previewing last nite's DAL/MN tilt. In the same show he talked about Goff, who he traveled to NOLA to see in person. Here's the gist of his take:

There's no comparison between the Goff we saw struggle in preseason and the one who took the field Sunday. He now has command of the Offense as evidenced by not incurring a single delay penalty in a very noisy dome. And he made every throw you'd expect a #1 pick to make. Clearly he has room to improve more as he is not yet ready to compete in a shoot-out like the one the Saints created, but for the first time the Rams can feel good about their pick... and they do.

I spoke to the Rams staff before the game about what they thought I'd see from Jared and "command" was their answer. He has learned not just the play calling, which was a problem, but also has developed a firm grasp of the offense conceptually.

The Rams had a plan for him, stuck to it and are now positioned to reap the benefits.

Here's his line from the Saints' game: 20/32 for 214 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT

A point overlooked regarding Wentz and Goff - both play on offenses with limited firepower. I'd say that goes double for Jared.

He has a subpar Oline, Gurley, Tavon Austin and Jared Cook. That's about it. Rams won't begin to know his ceiling until they put some pieces around him which I suspect will happen in the draft.

That said, watched highlights of the game and you certainly see flashes of a #1 overall.

A point overlooked regarding Wentz and Goff - both play on offenses with limited firepower. I'd say that goes double for Jared.

He has a subpar Oline, Gurley, Tavon Austin and Jared Cook. That's about it. Rams won't begin to know his ceiling until they put some pieces around him which I suspect will happen in the draft.

That said, watched highlights of the game and you certainly see flashes of a #1 overall.

Well....extrapolating this to next year, if the Browns take Trubisky, they might actually have some firepower for him. If Pryor is retained....if Coleman improves from 1st to 2 year. If a couple of the other rookie WRs improve. If Barnidge straigtens out. If Crow/Duke live up to potential, there could be weaponry for good QB.

The big question would be: will our powder be dry...or all wet with a bad situation on the OL.

Put some pieces around him in the Draft? Not unless they get lucky. Don't forget to move up it cost them their first, second and third this year. Next year they're minus their first, and if they don't get a compensatory third- their third rounder goes to the Titans. So they have 2, (maybe not 3), their 4, 5, 6, 7. Lotsa luck Lambs.

to me this is just another example of mortgaging the future when you still have significant holes to fill on your team. So they can use the second rounder on o-line or wr, not both. LOL, they could sell off their 2018 #1 to move up.

And LA can say "fuck the draft".

h, they're in LA now. If Goff shows to be a true franchise prospect in ascendance thru the remainder of the season, the FAs will flock to them.

And LA can say "fuck the draft".

h, they're in LA now. If Goff shows to be a true franchise prospect in ascendance thru the remainder of the season, the FAs will flock to them.

LOL, like Barky Mingo and Paul Kruger? Here's the list. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

PS- Sportrac has the Rams with about $5 million is cap space. Around enough to sign their second tier draft picks. :)

All I can say is Sportrac must suck... OverTheCap projects them at $42mm and change in cap room for 2017...

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-rams/

They do have 18 FAs including a few names they'll likely want to resign, however. I can see maybe $25mm eaten up there. But as you pointed out, they won't have to reserve much for their draft. ;)

So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?

WSS

Well maybe you guys have a better handle on what the fuck analytics might possibly mean.

;)

But in case I wasn't clear I'm talking about foregoing a quarterback until the third or fourth round where coach Jackson sees one he could coach up to be the next Andy Dalton

WSS

Ahhh....hahahaha.....looks like someone nailed it......kablammo!

Irate? Mildly at best as I'll be more stunned, then gradually move to stupefied...

This draft?......yes.....Mildly irate....stunnned and stupified.........thats me! :)

• 1 year later...

I think it's now safe to say that the kid can play.

What a show last nite. I couldn't help but wonder if I was watching the "Brady-Belichik" combo for the next decade.

Jury is still out on Goff-v-Wentz, but it's fun watching the data roll in...

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

What a show last nite. I couldn't help but wonder if I was watching the "Brady-Belichik" combo for the next decade.

Normally digging up a 2 year old thread would get you a lot of monkey poop thrown your way....but in this case it is a fair deal.

And based on your comment, I am going to start a new thread re dynasties.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

And 20\20 hindsight says we wouldn't have gone wrong with either Goff or Wentz, but darn, we got that Corey Coleman feller instead...   Why Sashi is currently unemployed...  Kizer for Randall, sort of makes the deal complete. One potentially very good CB, and two semi-decent defensive players. Would the Eagles reverse the trade for what we got out of it? Har, har. Found out the Browns way quality beats quantity every time.....  

8347719.jpg

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It also goes to show that you can't write a kid off after a bad rookie season and deem him a "bust". I'm happy for Goff.

2 hours ago, secondwave said:

It also goes to show that you can't write a kid off after a bad rookie season and deem him a "bust". I'm happy for Goff.

I really liked Goff in that draft & glad to see him doing so well. Goff obviously has excelled under Sean McVay & his staff. It makes me wonder what may have been had Fisher & staff remained.

Mike

Archived