THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Wentz- Starts here.

hoorta

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think "performance" in the traditional sense is what should be gauged anyway. A guy throws for a hundred TD's an no INT's? Cool...doesn't change the way mustard tastes. I'd take a prospect who never threw a touchdown pass in his life if he checked the right boxes.

Personally, I couldn't care less the outcome of a play when it comes to QB. Once the ball is thrown, I go to the next play anyway. In some cases, lack of playmakers can be a benefit - less chance of reliance on a "crutch".

Competition level only matters to me for one reason:

1) Why is the guy there? Why isn't he at another, bigger program? Was he a four-year QB who went unscouted? Was he a transition from another position? Did he have a bunch of injuries? Was he too small/too slow?

If there are legitimate reasons a guy is at a small school, it shouldn't be a knock on him whatsoever.

Exactly. This is how I see it - If you rated the different levels of football on a scale of 100, with 1 being public high school and 100 being the NFL, division 1-AA would rank around 25 while division 1 would come in at around 35. Every single one of these players have HUGE leaps in level of competition coming. The major benefits of division 1 preparing guys for the pros doesnt really do it for the QBs - Training facilities and coaching. Division 1 colleges do little to no better at training QBs for the NFL than ND state. Level of competition does help but like I said, all these guys have huge jumps ahead.

I don't think "performance" in the traditional sense is what should be gauged anyway. A guy throws for a hundred TD's an no INT's? Cool...doesn't change the way mustard tastes. I'd take a prospect who never threw a touchdown pass in his life if he checked the right boxes.

Personally, I couldn't care less the outcome of a play when it comes to QB. Once the ball is thrown, I go to the next play anyway. In some cases, lack of playmakers can be a benefit - less chance of reliance on a "crutch".

Competition level only matters to me for one reason:

1) Why is the guy there? Why isn't he at another, bigger program? Was he a four-year QB who went unscouted? Was he a transition from another position? Did he have a bunch of injuries? Was he too small/too slow?

If there are legitimate reasons a guy is at a small school, it shouldn't be a knock on him whatsoever.

Cumulative stats are not even close to what I meant by "performance". I am talking about game speed. I am talking about seeing more zones because less talented DBs lack cover skills... having more time because less athletic bigs don't have rush skills. You have to extrapolate further to get to the NFL level.

And the above is a factor not simply because of the fall off in quality of the FCS. It is a factor because clearly NDSU has a recipe that has allowed them to outclass the division.

Goff's ball placement and accuracy dip when he speeds it up. Wentz has the better arm without question

By "speeds up" do you mean throws harder?

Did not see that at all, Mike...

Me either. I heard someone else questioned his arm strength when the female commentator reported what some front offices/teams/coaches were saying. I haven't seen any evidence of that either.

Goff has an ideal starting point for an NFL team to tap.

LOL! Nothing that several of us haven't said over the last few years throughout every change of staff. I mean he must have seen the T-shirt. :P

Me either. I heard someone else questioned his arm strength when the female commentator reported what some front offices/teams/coaches were saying. I haven't seen any evidence of that either.

Goff has an ideal starting point for an NFL team to tap.

I have questioned, and graded his arm accordingly. It isn't bad, at all, and plenty of QBs have succeeded with sub-elite arm strength.

It's hard for the Browns to mess this up: pick either one.

"Sub-elite" is a fair description for Goff, but personally I don't see elite arm strength in this draft.

Wentz may be closest, but he does not seem to have the kind of zip that makes the air "sizzle".

"Sub-elite" is a fair description for Goff, but personally I don't see elite arm strength in this draft.

Wentz may be closest, but he does not seem to have the kind of zip that makes the air "sizzle".

You mean combined with other desired QB attributes? Because plenty of guys have big arms.

You mean combined with other desired QB attributes? Because plenty of guys have big arms.

Strictly an arm-strength comment. I don't disagree with "big", but big < elite...

I like Wentz's total package. He seems imo to have more size,athleticism, and touch than

Goff. Goff seems a little on the dainty side. Wentz reminds me more of the AFC north type Qb

Flacco/Worthlessburger. Goff a little more like Dalton in Cincinnati. Ok he'll get ya to the

playoffs (which would be nice) but not the big trophy! I'd be ok with either,but would feel

somewhat like we settled for Goff. I'm tired of settling! We deserve #1 with the #2!!!!

I am fully on board the Wentz train. I have nothing against Goff but after the combine and hearing about his background. A straight A student who works hard on his grades, shows me he will do the work, preparation needed to be a QB in this league. And I am fine with him sitting a year or at least part of it before taking over. So count me in!

Strictly an arm-strength comment. I don't disagree with "big", but big < elite...

OK, no Elway arms. As someone said about John- "he could throw the ball through a car wash, and it would come out dry on the other side." If Elway was a 9, Wentz is probably an 8.

Here's something, FWIW

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/704358141140439040

There's still time to jump on the right train.

Yo, Mike, that's just physical characteristics. If Wentz compares favorably to Rothlisberger, sign me up. :)

OK, no Elway arms. As someone said about John- "he could throw the ball through a car wash, and it would come out dry on the other side." If Elway was a 9, Wentz is probably an 8.

Yo, Mike, that's just physical characteristics. If Wentz compares favorably to Rothlisberger, sign me up. :)

Just providing more information.

I think Aaron Rodgers' arm is a 10, where 10 is the most ideal. Elway pretty close. I graded Wentz at 9. Graded Goff at 8.25.

I have a "what my grades" mean piece that I'm working on that I'll publish before I release scouting reports some time this week.

I think Aaron Rodgers' arm is a 10, where 10 is the most ideal. Elway pretty close. I graded Wentz at 9. Graded Goff at 8.25.

I have a "what my grades" mean piece that I'm working on that I'll publish before I release scouting reports some time this week.

Seem like reasonable estimates... I might quibble a little, but will await more data points, e.g., Favre, Hoyer, McCown...

Sure.....if he is an 8 to Elways 9...get him. If he is the second coming of BR, get him.

Now, show me the professional scouting reports that say all that is true.

Archived