THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Wentz- Starts here.

hoorta

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you feel about Cody Kessler?

Honestly? I think his ceiling is comparable to Alex Smith and/or Andy Dalton. I don't think he will ever be that dude who is throwing for 500 yards, but if he evolved into that caliber of player I'd be more than content.

Honestly? I think his ceiling is comparable to Alex Smith and/or Andy Dalton. I don't think he will ever be that dude who is throwing for 500 yards, but if he evolved into that caliber of player I'd be more than content.

Why is it that we're perfectly fine talking about Kessler as a franchise QB after two starts, but it's "too early to tell" about Wentz?

(I know you weren't the one who said anything....just making a point)

Why is it that we're perfectly fine talking about Kessler as a franchise QB after two starts, but it's "too early to tell" about Wentz?

Because Cody Kessler has shown Montana-Marino type traits in the first two games. Not so much for Wentz.

All fucking around aside, I think Wentz will turn into a franchise guy and Kessler could be a game manager. Wentz isn't a Brown so I am not overly concerned.

Eh, talking about upside (which Wentz has a shit ton of) and making statements like "this guy IS a franchise QB and we 100% FUCKED UP IN NOT taking him!!" are two different things. The latter is the one that pisses me off because I'm not going to sit there and say that about any QB with 3-4 starts. I mean Jesus, Derek Anderson was a pro-bowler and we saw how that turned out.

Kessler's role models would be like Brian Sipe or Joe Montana. Not big dudes, not big arms. But accurate with good timing and leadership abilities.

Eh, talking about upside (which Wentz has a shit ton of) and making statements like "this guy IS a franchise QB and we 100% FUCKED UP IN NOT taking him!!" are two different things. The latter is the one that pisses me off because I'm not going to sit there and say that about any QB with 3-4 starts. I mean Jesus, Derek Anderson was a pro-bowler and we saw how that turned out.

What I don't get is why it's assumed that this is probably the best Wentz will play, yet also assumed this is probably the worst Kessler will play.

It's a pretty bad double standard, to say the least.

Regardless, individual performance won't be the ultimate indicator of franchise QB-ness. It will be overall results. Right now, Wentz and the Eagles just happens to be beating the tar out of in both individual stats and overall success - which leads me to believe that we did conceivably make a mistake.

However, if we use the pick acquired from Philly to select a franchise QB, and said QB does well...then it's a different discussion.

But as of now, it's far and away a loss in our ledger. Not taking a QB when you have the chance is always a bad choice until it's proven otherwise.

What I don't get is why it's assumed that this is probably the best Wentz will play, yet also assumed this is probably the worst Kessler will play.

It's a pretty bad double standard, to say the least..

Can't say I'm sure what you mean there. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but there are plenty of guys who fly out of the gate and fall flat on their face. Conversely, there's plenty of guys who slowly get better (see Andy Dalton). I guess for me though I'm not assuming either of those scenarios. All I'm saying is that I'm encouraged by what Kessler has done given the variables of him being under center this year.

To me, let's see Wentz ends up as the next Big Ben and Kessler ends up being an Andy Dalton (just go with me here). The Eagles have Wentz, but we have Kessler and 3-4 good players in the trade from the Eagles. Who won? There's a case for both sides there.

Kessler's role models would be like Brian Sipe or Joe Montana. Not big dudes, not big arms. But accurate with good timing and leadership abilities.

Would also think Drew Brees would be someone Kessler turns into. Also a perfect example of a QB who was pretty horrible the first couple years of his career.

Would also think Drew Brees would be someone Kessler turns into. Also a perfect example of a QB who was pretty horrible the first couple years of his career.

Sure, though I have always thought of Brees as having a much stronger arm that either Montana or Sipe.

On that vain perhaps a Bob Griese could be a role model. Not too big, not a strong arm. Duke and Crow= Kiick and Csonka?

Maybe Kurt Warner?....though Warner had a pretty strong arm. Rich Gannon? At least he made a Super Bowl.

Archived