THE BROWNS BOARD

"That Is One Big Mofo"

Tim Couch Pulls Out

Wow, we have Camp Wentz v Camp Goff already, could be a good offseason. I see there is a strong Pro-Bosa base too.

The best was still 1999 when we were so starving for Browns football that it consumed us. Camp Couch versus Ricky "Small Hands" Williams, and Camp Trade Down (later known as The Ditka Trade), with appearances by Akili "A lot of RPMs" Smith, Donovan "Mr. Inaccurate" McNabb and Skippy's favorite ... Andy "Big Dumb Redneck" Katzenmoyer.

When we drafted Couch the other groups combined to form "The Dark Side"

The next year was Courtney Brown vs. Lavar Arrington, with some love for Peter Warrick. I wanted Arrington, but had a thing for Shaun Alexander too. Jamal Lewis was the pick of course, and he ran for a million yards against the Courtney Brown defense.

No one mentioned that gangly QB who backed up Brian Griese and platooned with Drew Henson at Michigan ... who we passed up for Spergon Wynn in the 6th round ... but then again, Woody wasn't around then.

Zombo

Well, I put up a Camp Wentz Thread. I'm currently in "Camp wait and See" . I just looked at TCPO's link- and I'm duly impressed on how Carson can throw an amazing deep ball with a tight spiral. But that won't do much good without accurate targeting. Fer sure, the kid has NFL size, and a NFL arm. I'll let the qb geeks comment on his throwing motion and footwork.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too bad you can't put any of these kids against an alabama or ohio state defense and see how they do.

all the measurables in the prototypical QB mean nothing if you shrink to shit when you're playing against top notch competition. so that's where goff get's more of an edge in my book (right now) than a wentz. n.dakota state? isn't that like akron but only in north dakota? i.e. charlie frye.

and lynch, don't even think about it. blech.

Wow, we have Camp Wentz v Camp Goff already, could be a good offseason. I see there is a strong Pro-Bosa base too.

The best was still 1999 when we were so starving for Browns football that it consumed us. Camp Couch versus Ricky "Small Hands" Williams, and Camp Trade Down (later known as The Ditka Trade), with appearances by Akili "A lot of RPMs" Smith, Donovan "Mr. Inaccurate" McNabb and Skippy's favorite ... Andy "Big Dumb Redneck" Katzenmoyer.

When we drafted Couch the other groups combined to form "The Dark Side"

The next year was Courtney Brown vs. Lavar Arrington, with some love for Peter Warrick. I wanted Arrington, but had a thing for Shaun Alexander too. Jamal Lewis was the pick of course, and he ran for a million yards against the Courtney Brown defense.

No one mentioned that gangly QB who backed up Brian Griese and platooned with Drew Henson at Michigan ... who we passed up for Spergon Wynn in the 6th round ... but then again, Woody wasn't around then.

Zombo

I am not in either camp....I just want a motherfucker that can win games. But I am also not down with people that fall in love with someone.....like BB8 has fallen in love....and the JFF fanboys who insist that the Browns MUST get this guy over anyone else.

I have seen too much failure to fall in love with any fucking college QB until he comes in here and wins.

too bad you can't put any of these kids against an alabama or ohio state defense and see how they do.

all the measurables in the prototypical QB mean nothing if you shrink to shit when you're playing against top notch competition. so that's where goff get's more of an edge in my book (right now) than a wentz. n.dakota state? isn't that like akron but only in north dakota? i.e. charlie frye.

No....its more like Coastal Carolina.

They played Youngstown State. :) If we draft Wentz,- I had to look up where North Dakota State is- I've been to Fargo once, a long time ago. Missed seeing it. One thing fer sure- we don't have to worry about how Wentz will adapt to (our relatively mild) Cleveland winters.

Here's Carson's level of competition for those with an interest. http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&tab=schedule2

For me, it was more of an absolutely stellar career and growth in his one and a half years as QB. Plus the physical tools, the mental tools and the overall acceptable personality.

You'd be right. I firmly believe that nothing done after the season should matter, which means that late risers are normally just combine warriors with inflated stock.

However, I was also saying that I'd rather we take Wentz than anyone else while the season was still in play - so this case is different. His meteoric ascension right now is just proof of what I, and a few others, have already been talking about.

I was also on the Bortles train very early, for the record. Very similar case here, in my opinion.

Much earlier to Bortles I think, but whatever... your credentials are good here...

What I have not yet seen in Wentz is the mental game. What tape/game showed it to you?

& again FU Joe Banner.. & I assume Banner drafted Schwartz? sounds like his agent has all the help Schwartz needs $$$

Banner had one draft, and drafted about 5 players. Mingo, McFadden, Slaughter, Gilkey, and Armonty. Schwartz was a Heckert pick.

Banner had one draft, and drafted about 5 players. Mingo, McFadden, Slaughter, Gilkey, and Armonty. Schwartz was a Heckert pick.

thanks chris, that proves Heckert could draft & Banner can way over evaluate players worth. hope not in Schwartz case but franchise tag maybe in Sashi's & Depo's analytics tablets.. Can't lose Mack & Mitch.. Get a 3 year deal done on Mitch imo.

Think Mitch will stay, to be honest. Mack is likely gone, though chances of staying probably went from 1% to 10% with Huge Action coming in. We have a chance to be a very interesting team offensively next year. Whoever Hue decides is the guy at QB - McCown, Shaw, Goff, Wentz, whoever - could have a very solid OL, a pro-bowl TE, a pro-bowl WR in Gordon, another alternate in Benjamin, and two capable young backs in Crow and Duke. Rose tinted spectacles off, picking up and Alshon Jeffrey or someone in free agency suddenly makes things even more interesting.

The last several years this team has supposed to have been built around D first, I get the feeling that will change next year.

Think Mitch will stay, to be honest. Mack is likely gone, though chances of staying probably went from 1% to 10% with Huge Action coming in. We have a chance to be a very interesting team offensively next year. Whoever Hue decides is the guy at QB - McCown, Shaw, Goff, Wentz, whoever - could have a very solid OL, a pro-bowl TE, a pro-bowl WR in Gordon, another alternate in Benjamin, and two capable young backs in Crow and Duke. Rose tinted spectacles off, picking up and Alshon Jeffrey or someone in free agency suddenly makes things even more interesting.

The last several years this team has supposed to have been built around D first, I get the feeling that will change next year.

I completely agree with you, Chris. We need a couple of things to go right for us, and our offense could look very different. We might not be able to stop anybody next year, but I think our red zone efficiency will go up considerably. More touchdowns and less FG's would've equaled a few more wins last year, and I think that will happen in 2016. Don't get me wrong, I'm not proclaiming that we're going to the damn playoffs next year, but it's safe to say I feel we're going to have more wins. And in 2017, our defense will hopefully start to perform like we need it to.

I completely agree with you, Chris. We need a couple of things to go right for us, and our offense could look very different. We might not be able to stop anybody next year, but I think our red zone efficiency will go up considerably. More touchdowns and less FG's would've equaled a few more wins last year, and I think that will happen in 2016. Don't get me wrong, I'm not proclaiming that we're going to the damn playoffs next year, but it's safe to say I feel we're going to have more wins. And in 2017, our defense will hopefully start to perform like we need it to.

I just get the impression that we're going to look a lot like the Jags this year. A potent offense, not quite able to get over the .500 hump, but capable of putting big points on the board.

Great post, but ... Shaw? Connor Shaw?? No, no, no ... Lucky if he makes the roster.

Z

Great post, but ... Shaw? Connor Shaw?? No, no, no ... Lucky if he makes the roster.

Z

Well he's currently on the roster. It's unlikely, but I'm not going to argue with Hue-know-Hue if he decides Shaw's the man.

Well he's currently on the roster. It's unlikely, but I'm not going to argue with Hue-know-Hue if he decides Shaw's the man.

Yes, always a chance.

I am guessing of the four QBs on the roster now, McCown is the only one who sticks.

I see a rookie drafted, pretty much for sure. And if we keep a third QB, prob someone Hue has had his eye on or had in his system.

If Davis or Shaw do make the roster, Davis might have more of an in, since Sashi gave him a new contract while Farmer was suspended.

Don't know if Hue is into short guys with average arms, but I guess there is always a chance for Shaw. He has a lot of "moxie"!

Zombo

Yes, always a chance.

I am guessing of the four QBs on the roster now, McCown is the only one who sticks.

I see a rookie drafted, pretty much for sure. And if we keep a third QB, prob someone Hue has had his eye on or had in his system.

If Davis or Shaw do make the roster, Davis might have more of an in, since Sashi gave him a new contract while Farmer was suspended.

Don't know if Hue is into short guys with average arms, but I guess there is always a chance for Shaw. He has a lot of "moxie"!

Zombo

I actually think the roster could be McCown, rookie QB, Shaw.

Not only does Shaw have a lot of moxie (whatever), he's equally as athletic as Manziel, and he's extremely studious....like to the point of fanaticism. Shaw was the unquestioned leader of that good run of S.Car teams. I think that's kind of what Hue values in a QB. He's a great QB3, IMO.

I actually think the roster could be McCown, rookie QB, Shaw.

Not only does Shaw have a lot of moxie (whatever), he's equally as athletic as Manziel, and he's extremely studious....like to the point of fanaticism. Shaw was the unquestioned leader of that good run of S.Car teams. I think that's kind of what Hue values in a QB. He's a great QB3, IMO.

I'm inclined to agree. Much worse options at QB3 can be had - he looked good in his start against Baltimore, over a year ago, and has hopefully spent his injury-redshirt year 'honing his craft' or whatever cliché you want to use.

2016 QB Depth Chart: McC-Rookie-Davis

I see this tossed about on the board a lot.....but as I've said many times now- if you draft a qb number 2 overall in 2016, you DONT draft him to sit. period. #2 overall picks don't sit behind 37 year old journeymen their first year. Just doesnt happen. Maybe a start, but not the majority of the season. Every single guy taken in that range lately is going to be the starter.

I see this tossed about on the board a lot.....but as I've said many times now- if you draft a qb number 2 overall in 2016, you DONT draft him to sit. period. #2 overall picks don't sit behind 37 year old journeymen their first year. Just doesnt happen. Maybe a start, but not the majority of the season. Every single guy taken in that range lately is going to be the starter.

It's not black and white, whoever is best in camp starts and that's all there is to it. These rookie QBs have a lot more to learn than other positions.

Bortles sat for a good portion of his rookie year. Arguably, RG3 should have sat.

Not really, he sat for three games that season. It's a pretty fair statement to make that a guy drafted in the top five should be a starter by the first quarter of the season at the very latest. I have a pretty good feeling if that's how we go he'll be a day 1 guy though.

Edit: Meant to put three where I put two, although he did play in the 2nd half of week three.

Archived