THE BROWNS BOARD

'midship ... Mates?' Navy Moves To Sink Gender-Specific Titles

OldBrownsFan

I don't get why anything ending in *man* or *men* can't be used for both men and women?? Why wouldn't Midshipman apply to either a man or a woman? This PC stuff never ends. Doesn't the military have enough to be concerned about with what is happening around the world than to waste time on this trivial stuff?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/20/midship-mates-navy-moves-to-sink-gender-specific-titles.html

Because women aren't men?

If we are going to be politically correct it should not matter if a sailor is a man or a woman in the position/title of Seaman, Midshipman, etc.....they are positions that are filled by both men and women.

If they want titles that can apply to both men or women than again anything ending in *man* or *men* naturally fits the bill. If they want to separate the sexes than Midshipman and Midshipwoman would make sense.

Because women aren't men?

Love these simpleton answers.

Definition of man

a human being of either sex; a person.

"God cares for all races and all men"

synonyms: human being, human, person, mortal, individual, personage, soul

"all men are mortal"

Midshipmen means Navy personnel of both sexes, but the Navy must think liberals are too goddamned stupid for them to explain.

Mankind, get it?

When Neil Armstrong said "one giant step for mankind" he was only referring to the men down there on planet earth.

Lol.

Well it's a big winner for the Democrats...

:)

WSS

What have they won? If you refer to someone from China as Asian instead of Oriental, who really wins or loses? It's speech and you can still call your cardiologist Oriental, he or she may not like it but you can.

Oh I meant just that they are winning in the sense that it's becoming a bigger and bigger pain in the ass, which I think in many ways is the point for the hard left.

PS that's only slightly tongue-in-cheek

WSS

Probably, anytime you can assert your will on an aspect of life you're gaining ground. I guess in my life it is such low hanging fruit I really don't care and there are times I get frustrated because the house is on fire and we are worried about tree out front.

But making sure that everyone is offended about something helps to balkanize people and make everyone feel victimized.

I think people who consider themselves victims trend Democrat.

WSS

Politics is very polarizing, hence the fact that it's broken and only working for the people in power.

DOW drops 500 points and people are bitching about politically correct speech, so far in the trees ya can't see the forest.

That is exactly the argument I would use with the Sec of the Navy....doesn't the navy have more important work to do other than focusing on needless politically correct speech? Don't we have real threats and enemies to deal with? Why are we wasting time, money and resources to come up with a new name for Midshipman?

That is exactly the argument I would use with the Sec of the Navy....doesn't the navy have more important work to do other than focusing on needless politically correct speech? Don't we have real threats and enemies to deal with? Why are we wasting time, money and resources to come up with a new name for Midshipman?

No this is what government is. I guarantee there are many Navy officers whose job it is to update manuals, procedures, policies, etc. and if this is a way to justify their positions. You don't want unemployed military personnel do you?

Maybe they should rename women all together.

The word is derived from basically 'wife of man' - if the kinds of people who *demand* changes like this knew that, they'd probably try that as well.

The point of this whole thing is that as a result of the overwhelmingly patriarchal culture that has dominated society for thousands of years, everything is defined in relation to men. Mankind the word, weddings pronouncing as 'man and wife' and things like that. Now women are saying 'we exist too' and 'stop calling us men all the damn time' and people get all bent out of shape.

Archived