THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackson Hired

beare

I'd rather Smith than Marrone.

Rather have an offensive mind in Marrane instead of a perennial loser like Lovie.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather have an offensive mind in Marrane instead of a perennial loser like Lovie.

Not to be mean, but if you're disagreeing with me I know I'm on the right path ;)

Besides, Marrone (or Marrane?) is hardly an offensive guru, the guy has coached OL almost exclusively.

"Offensively, Marrone led an offense that finished first in the AFC and second in the NFL in rushing (144.2 avg.). It also led the NFL with 95.5 percent efficiency in the red zone. Rookie quarterback E.J. Manuel started 10 games and set team rookie records for passing touchdowns (11) and completions (180).

The Bills had three different players with 60 receptions in 2014 for the first time in team history (Fred Jackson, 65; Sammy Watkins, 62; Robert Woods, 61) and the club produced six individual 100-yard receiving games. The Bills ranked sixth in the NFL in 2014 with a plus-seven turnover differential."

It doesn't sound like he did too bad. Pettine was beloved by the players and lost. Bringing in a hard nosed coach might piss in the Cheerios of some of the players but they played like shit this season. No one will have much sympathy.

We'll never know for sure, but I too got the impression that the players liked him as well. Pettine appeared to be generous on things like days off and veteran excused practice days. But who really knows? Perhaps the players just don't want to learn an entirely new system, and who could blame them? That has to be exhausting, and for a few of our veterans, they've gone through this how many times?

The aforementioned stats on Marrone are impressive to me...ESPECIALLY the red zone stats. I don't need to remind anyone here just how awful our red zone offense was. It was completely infuriating, and it cost us severely. For me, I felt like every time we got the ball in the red zone, it was a FG attempt. Even if we got the ball to the five yard line, I still felt like we had little chance for 6. I don't know if it was poor play calling, poor execution, dismal talent...or a combination, but I DO know our red zone offense completely sucks, and I'm sick of it. For one, we don't have a reliable "fade route WR", and every damn week I see multiple TD's with that toss. Gary can make the grab, but he's not a WR. We need to be able to throw that route to either side of the field so the defense can't cheat. Is Benji going up for that ball? Marlan Moore? Hawkins? Gabriel? Hartline? Not so much, although out of those people I guess Hartline MIGHT be the closest thing we have. Other than that, I could see Terrell Pryor going up to snatch the ball, but I don't see him on the roster in 2016 (I might be wrong, but doubt it).

If we lock up Hue Jackson, does anyone have information on who his coordinators might be?

I don't have a link, but I can get it in a second. I got the update on my phone, "Jason La Canfora reporting that Hue Jackson is the next head coach for the Browns." Hue Jackson stated, "They just made me feel comfortable."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns are "finalizing" a deal to make Bengals OC Hue Jackson their new head coach.

Cleveland isn't expected to let Jackson leave town for his interview with the Giants. Odd to say, but the Browns are making a heck of a decision here. Jackson is one of the brighter offensive minds and a nose-to-the-grindstone coach who has the ability to turn this team around. Jackson is expected to have control of the 53-man roster in Cleveland. First order of business: finding a quarterback. Josh McCown could be a stopgap option after a strong 2015, but he was injured too much, so Jackson will need to find another reliable option if McCown is brought back.

Archived