THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackson Hired

beare

Hard to imagine he'd take this job over the Giants job, which is still open isn't it? Anyway, be interesting to know who he'd bring in as the DC since he's more an O guy.

Some connection he made in Oakland probably.

I could see Hue keeping Flip as pretty likely - they weren't together in Oakland but close enuff'

Giants are certainly the most attractive job there is though - hard to see him accepting anything before that interview.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hue Jackson has drawn serious interest from the Browns and 49ers. The Giants might get involved too. (Frank Victores, Associated Press)

By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com

Follow on Twitter

on January 11, 2016 at 10:36 PM, updated January 11, 2016 at 10:37 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns remain very interested in Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, but a report Monday night by NFL Network they were ready to "close it out'' was premature, two league sources told cleveland.com.

The Browns have yet to make an offer for Jackson, and they haven't informed his camp yet that they're ready to do so.

In fact, the Browns are interested in multiple candidates that they've interviewed. Meanwhile, the 49ers are still very much in the mix for Jackson, and the New York Giants have received permission to interview him. The 49ers have also received permission to interview former Giants coach Tom Coughlin, one of the bigger surprises of the day.

As of Monday night, Jackson still planned to go through with his Giants interview, but it hasn't yet been scheduled. That could change, of course, if the Browns or 49ers get serious about hiring him.

Teams are often reluctant to present an offer until they're sure the candidate will say yes. In the case of Jackson, he's interested in all three teams and will seriously consider any and all offers, one of the sources said.

Jackson's good friend Michael Silver of NFL Network tweeted Monday night "Hue's totally interested in Cleveland, SF and NYG jobs...it's been a long four years-- wants an NFL HC opportunity.''

He predicted Jackson's situation would be resolved in the next 24-48 hours.

Related: Terrelle Pryor played for Hue Jackson and believes he'd be perfect for the Browns

Browns receiver Terrelle Pryor believes Hue Jackson would be an excellent head coach for the Cleveland Browns.

Throwing a monkeywrench into the Jackson sweepstakes is the fact that all of the owners -- including Jimmy Haslam -- are headed to Houston for an important NFL owners' meeting Tuesday and Wednesday. The clubs will likely vote on which team or teams will relocate to Los Angeles. Candidates are the Rams, Chargers and Raiders.

ESPN.com reported that the Giants might fly Jackson to Houston for the interview with owner John Mara, who's on the Los Angeles committee and a key figure in the meetings.

The Browns also interviewed Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott on Sunday morning and liked him, a source said. Panthers coach Ron Rivera told the Charlotte Observer Monday that McDermott felt good about his weekend interviews with both the Browns and Bucs.

"We visited a little bit and he felt very comfortable and confident with what he did,'' Rivera said. "He said the best thing now is we have the opportunity to focus in on Seattle (in the NFC Divisional round)."

Of the seven interviews they Browns have conducted since Wednesday, only former Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase has been eliminated. He took the Dolphins job on Saturday after interviewing with several teams, including the Giants and Eagles. He was the Browns' first interview and was believed to be one of their top targets, if not their No. 1 overall.

Fox Sports reported that another of the Browns' candidates, Cowboys defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson, was set to join Gase in Miami, but that hasn't happened yet. He reportedly told his bosses in Dallas that the his meeting with the Browns went well on Friday.

The other Browns interviews were as follows: Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, Jacksonville assistant head coach Doug Marrone, and Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.

If the Browns really liked Patricia or McDermott, they might have to wait awhile. Both are in the playoffs and could go far. If either or both make the Super Bowl, the Browns would have to wait until after the game Feb. 7 in the San Francisco Bay Area to hire them.

Related: John DeFilippo asked to stay, Jim O'Neil and Chris Tabor were not

Four Browns assistants have the chance to stick around if the new head coach wants them: John DeFilippo, Kevin O'Connell, Kevin Hafley, and Aaron Glenn. Coordinator Jim O'Neil and Chris Tabor

If they really like a candidate, it's probably worth the wait. They had a chance to hire former Seahawks defensive coordinator and current Falcons head coach Dan Quinn two years ago, but didn't want to wait until after the Super Bowl. They hired Mike Pettine instead, who went 10-22 in his two seasons.

Quinn, who went 8-8 in his first season with the Falcons this year, told cleveland.com after the Super Bowl that year that he would've taken the Browns job had it been offered to him.

In other coaching news, a source told cleveland.com that John DeFilippo was among four Browns assistants who were asked to remain in Cleveland if the new coach wants them. Not included were defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil and special teams coordinator Chris Tabor, who spent five seasons with the club.

The others asked to stay were quarterbacks coach Kevin O'Connell, secondary coach Jeff Hafley and assistant secondary coach Aaron Glenn.

Another head coach job could some up soon, creating even more competition for the top candidates. Lions coach Jim Caldwell has been put on notice that his job is on the line.

So, the Browns might have their man in a day or two -- or it could take weeks.

I believe I read that Jackson is currently interviewing with the Giants, and if they like him as much as we do, than I have to believe we're totally screwed. I'm not trying to slam our team anymore than necessary, but put yourself in Jackson's shoes: The Giants had the same coach for many years in a row, they have a QB that has won two freaking Superbowls, they have an electric WR, and the management structure probably looks better than what ours is.

The coaching search is a game of musical chairs, and I get the feeling that we're going to be the team left standing when the music stops.

I believe I read that Jackson is currently interviewing with the Giants, and if they like him as much as we do, than I have to believe we're totally screwed. I'm not trying to slam our team anymore than necessary, but put yourself in Jackson's shoes: The Giants had the same coach for many years in a row, they have a QB that has won two freaking Superbowls, they have an electric WR, and the management structure probably looks better than what ours is.

The coaching search is a game of musical chairs, and I get the feeling that we're going to be the team left standing when the music stops.

That QB is only good for a couple more years though, and was never elite to begin with. Not saying I wouldn't swap Eli for Josh McCown but it's not like he's walking in to Green Bay.

It may look bad....but as far as I am concerned I don't mind.

I am not on board for Hue Jackson. Nothing personal, just a gut feeling that he is not the right person.

I'm the opposite, for the same unknown reasons. I just feel like he's the guy for us, but no idea why.

I'm the opposite, for the same unknown reasons. I just feel like he's the guy for us, but no idea why.

He has a pretty good track record.

He's worked under Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Marvin Lewis, Bobby Petrino, John Harbaugh - which isn't any bad coaching trees for anybody worried about that type of thing.

He was WR coach for Chad Johnson when he was having career year, QB coach for the Ravens when Flacco emerged.

He went 8-8 with a garbage roster in Oakland - every season in Oakland after he left has been a losing season.

He's a good candidate on paper, and he's really familiar with the AFCN - it's not surprising he's the one many people want.

That's not an equation. It's an inequality. I suppose that's kinda the opposite of an equation.

but there's still gotta be some math that went into the postulate that the Browns are a better landing spot than the Giants. I'd like to know that math and what dark nebulous corner of quantum mechanics it came from.

Traded for Carson Palmer and went 8-8 at Oakland, showing good judgement along the way.

That person deserves another chance and he knows the AFCN plus it weakens the bengals

I'm going to be very disappointed if it doesn't happen

but there's still gotta be some math that went into the postulate that the Browns are a better landing spot than the Giants. I'd like to know that math and what dark nebulous corner of quantum mechanics it came from.

If you'd read all of my actual post, you'd find out. Of course, that would require effort and thought, so you won't bother.

The Giants GM is one of few in the league whose performance over the last few years is actually worse than Farmer. He's hit on ODB and... Yep, keep looking. During Reese's tenure the last 7 years, the Giants have kept exactly 2 players between rounds 3-7. Those two are wide receiver Mario Manningham and linebacker Jacquian Williams. The only Pro Bowler from rounds 3-7 during Reese's time as general manager is long snapper Zak DeOssie, who was drafted in the fourth round in 2007 as a linebacker.

The only other useful player from Reese's tenure was the undrafted Victor Cruz..

As to the test statistic: The number of snaps played [offensive or defensive] by a drafted player on that team.

Browns GMs - crappy though they have been - are better than Reese.

The Browns HC opening is a better place than the Giants HC opening because at least the Browns have a chance to get an average GM. The current Giants GM is putting together one of the all-time worst GM records in the history of the NFL.

Ultimately as a coach, Hue ties himself to the GM who provides him with players. Why would Hue choose a horrific GM over a place that will clearly give him input into the drafting process?

Ultimately as a coach, Hue ties himself to the GM who provides him with players. Why would Hue choose a horrific GM over a place that will clearly give him input into the drafting process?

Because the NYG GM's poor track record gives him leverage to have more influence? Plus, you know, he'd still be working with a real GM...

When comparing FOs in their entirety, including ownership, which looks like the more stable organization?

If you'd read all of my actual post, you'd find out. Of course, that would require effort and thought, so you won't bother.

The Giants GM is one of few in the league whose performance over the last few years is actually worse than Farmer. He's hit on ODB and... Yep, keep looking. During Reese's tenure the last 7 years, the Giants have kept exactly 2 players between rounds 3-7. Those two are wide receiver Mario Manningham and linebacker Jacquian Williams. The only Pro Bowler from rounds 3-7 during Reese's time as general manager is long snapper Zak DeOssie, who was drafted in the fourth round in 2007 as a linebacker.

The only other useful player from Reese's tenure was the undrafted Victor Cruz..

As to the test statistic: The number of snaps played [offensive or defensive] by a drafted player on that team.

Browns GMs - crappy though they have been - are better than Reese.

The Browns HC opening is a better place than the Giants HC opening because at least the Browns have a chance to get an average GM. The current Giants GM is putting together one of the all-time worst GM records in the history of the NFL.

Also factor in the fact that our HC will likely have much more say in personnel matters.

Archived