THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackson Hired

beare

Meh, another year another coach. Ill comment next year after 5 games.

C'mon, its not like we havent done this so many times. Ill get excited when I see improvement.

I listened to the presser and there was way too much talk about DEE.

Seems like a good guy, hope it works out for him. Marv Lewis had some great things to say about him when he lost him.

yep, i agree totally, they said last yr that pettine was da man...he wuz duh guy...i'm with you...however i'm giving him a few more games than 5. i will say this, i feel a little better with the hiring of hue compared to what we had the last several yrs...we shall see....

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok....that went fairly well.....liked what I heard(which I figured I would)......he seems reasonable enough.

The 3 things I liked best were:

1) He has a 147 text messages from "great coaches" who want to join his staff..(hope this is true, cause we need em)

2) He likes a challenge....which is what I wanted.....a guy who has the balls to tackle tough tasks....(even when he has the option to take an easier path)

3) He believes you need integrity...accountability.....and a strong work ethic to be on this team....(so JFF is out for sure)....

So....those who think "just talent" is all you need.....we have another coach who disagrees.....yay!

Re the coaches ... the best thing that happened to us was the Bungle meltdown (thanks for calling that Jeremy Hill handoff, Hue!) because now we have our coach in place and he can start hiring the cream of the crop of whats out there while other teams Giants, Eagles, Bucs etc. are yet to pull the trigger and may have to wait until after conference championships.

Things seem to be leaning our way for a change ...

Z

I missed most of the presser, did anybody ask if he planned to keep any of the previous coaches?

Said he'll sit down and talk to all of them and see if they fit his criteria. If they don't, it's adios. BTW, said he'll sit down with Joe Thomas and try to sell him on what he plans to accomplish.

Considering his phone was ringing off the hook with top coaching prospects, (supposedly 140+ texts) I don't think Hue will have any problems finding people he wants.

Another plus of getting the HC in place pronto, we won't be scraping the bottom of the barrel for assistant coaching leftovers this time around.

More often than not l don't know a damn thing about our new coaches, but living near Cincyland l actually know this one. I have an opinion guys!

I'm pleased as punch, got a real high opinion of Jackson. A lot of you have pointed out many of the positives, good offensive mind and such, but he also has a real reputation as a people person. A networker of sorts. One of those magnetic personalities that is able to get people to gravitate to the common goal.

Strikes me as an ideal trait in this odd dynamic the Browns have him in with moneyball guy, and salary cap guy, and Mr and Mrs Jimmy in this wierd ass mix of people at the top of the Browns' food chain.

The response from the NFL community has been overwhelming, and the positive praise is something our franchise probably isn't used to. It's a stark difference from when we hired Pettine, and he was something like our 6th choice. No matter what, it's difficult to spin hiring your 6th choice in a positive light. No, this is different. We got a guy with head coaching experience, and someone who actually wanted to come to us. A coach that knows the division, and someone with tremendous success scoring these things called TOUCHDOWNS. Granted, he had a ton of talent in Cincy, but Jackson is known for his ingenuity.

Only time will tell if Jackson can provide a different result, but there's no denying a true sense of excitement in Cleveland. Jackson was asked repeatedly about his stance on Manziel, and it was obvious that he wouldn't touch that topic with a ten foot pole...and I don't blame him. Many analysts speculated that Manziel was one of the many bartering items on the table during Jackson's second interview, and it's widely believed that Jackson doesn't want anything to do with him. Again, I don't blame him.

I've heard the rumor about Colin Kaepernick, and I've readily dismissed it. A new coach with the second round pick in the draft...I think he'll want to pick his own guy (assuming a QB grades out well enough). Jackson also has McCown, who isn't a star, but proved his success in Chicago wasn't a fluke, and can be a decent starter while teaching a young buck.

Happy.

On the other hand, when he was asked about the players he was looking forward to working with - JT, Haden and Paul Kruger. Hmmm...less happy now ;)

I have no beef with Paul Kruger. Looks like his assignments were changed up last year, but the year before he kicked ass. No reason he can't be successful in the right program. Maybe a little expensive but what the fuc.

WSS

Jackson was asked repeatedly about his stance on Manziel, and it was obvious that he wouldn't touch that topic with a ten foot pole...and I don't blame him. Many analysts speculated that Manziel was one of the many bartering items on the table during Jackson's second interview, and it's widely believed that Jackson doesn't want anything to do with him. Again, I don't blame him.

I can't wait til Manziel's gone. It's such a shame that such a bad player with bad work eithic and so many personal issues is still the center of attention. We don't need that here anymore.

I have no beef with Paul Kruger. Looks like his assignments were changed up last year, but the year before he kicked ass. No reason he can't be successful in the right program. Maybe a little expensive but what the fuc.

WSS

Looking at Sheard, a homegrown talent who we gave up had incredible success with the Patriots - I hope that turns out to be the case for a lot of the current players on our roster, including Kruger.

Kruger doesn't really have any trade value, but I think he can still be a good player if used correctly.

I can't wait til Manziel's gone. It's such a shame that such a bad player with bad work eithic and so many personal issues is still the center of attention. We don't need that here anymore.

Agree. There was a large part of me that wanted to give him another chance, bring him back, and weather the storm. But...we just don't need that. Hue deserves a new start...a fresh start.

If we don't take a QB at #2, then I'd be all in for taking Bosa and cutting Kruger. Save us a bunch of money (I think), and probably no drop off in talent.

Article which provides several defensive coordinator possibilities. Schwartz is an interesting candidate...although I always thought he was a douche, LOL.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/01/who_could_be_hue_jacksons_defe.html#0

Archived