THE BROWNS BOARD

Cheap Shot Stealers Weather Burfict Storm

Pumpkin Eater

Bengals threw that away. Game was won and we threw it away. Let our hatred of the Steelers overcome us. My only consolation is that we have hopefully fucked up Steelers chances of progressing. That was deliberate by Burfict at the end on Brown, am sure of it, he just couldn't resist temptation to ring his bell. Jones was just fucking stupid too. Steelers are just as cheap shotting as Bengals are, but the refs and media love them. But despite all the help for the Steelers, bottom line is the Bengals had that game won and threw it away. Hope if the Browns build up a team as talented as the Bengals have right now, they don't do this to their fans, but actually live up to their potential.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bengals lost due to sheer stupidity. Their defense was great, and don't forget....that was their back up qb, and he played like crap. I'm no Bengals fan, but they will out play the Steelers 9 out of 10 games with all personnel healthy on both sides. They are the better team. I would kill to have a defense like their's. The refs were definitely favoring the Steelers....that was obvious. It's impossible to overcome that advantage in a close game. Same crap we had when we were competitive with the Steelers....if anyone can remember that.

The Bengals lost due to sheer stupidity. Their defense was great, and don't forget....that was their back up qb, and he played like crap. I'm no Bengals fan, but they will out play the Steelers 9 out of 10 games with all personnel healthy on both sides. They are the better team. I would kill to have a defense like their's. The refs were definitely favoring the Steelers....that was obvious. It's impossible to overcome that advantage in a close game. Same crap we had when we were competitive with the Steelers....if anyone can remember that.

lodildo

First your say they lost to stupidity...check

Then you whine and say the refs were favoring steelers???

STeelers had more penalty yards in the first half than bengals.

Sorry your Bengals lost, Id be pissed too. Just take it easy with the wild claims of ref favoritism.

Fortunately I went to bed at 2am UK time, because if I had stayed up to watch that self implosion I would have smashed the TV! 1.36 to go the Bengals have the ball in Steeler territory for crying out loud! ?

The Squealers are so lucky they probably shit dollars! Let's hope they are too bust up for next weekend and get the thrashing they deserve.

Um good try with the marginalizing bit, but they did more than just jeered, they threw beer as he was being carted off the field.

Ah yes back in the day when wicky wacky bengals coach Sam Wyche seized a microphone and delivered his most famous "you don't live in cleveland, you live in cincinnati" quip to snowball throwing Bengal fans.

They cloned cleveland and got cincinnati...one team named the "bungles" and the other the "clowns".. and both have Neanderthal fans that cant refrain from throwing shit on the field.

You'll never see that happen in Heinz field. Way too much class in Pittsburgh.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/ben-roethlisberger-cincinnati-fans-throw-beer-cheer-injury-carted-off-status-sack-bengals-steelers

Fuck your mother.

Wow what a total Thug Fest. Game tape of this one should be at rules committee meetings. Refs are lost on crown of helmet & where it lands & cannot be used if head is up & at shoulder. Both Teams, Players & coaches are simply in their ears & in their head. Hell no your LB coach should not be on the field. Munchuck? (OL coach?) should have been ejected to make a statement, early. Both Coaches have a responsibility but I still feel Hue Jackson will still be a great HC in Cleveland but I just don't see us sealing the deal today but I can hope.

I love the Bengals D, truly do, but coaches have to get control over their players and especially in crucial points of the game. Now hearing rumours that coaches have been over-looking ill discipline from certain unnamed players on the D in practice and during meetings throughout the year. I bet the Steelers are afraid to play the Bengals now though. Frankenstein's Monster.

Not my Bengals...I'm a Browns fan. I hate the Bengals...the refs have always favored the Steelers...period. Most of the time I would swear thay have bets placed on the game. This is not even questionable....even Steelers fans will admit to it. Open your eyes.

In fact...I won a bet on that game. I picked the Bengals, but had 3 points. I almost hate to say this, but because I've seen the low life Steelers do it so much, I enjoyed seeing Brown get that cheap shot last night.

Shaziers hit was clean.

And Burfect's hit on Brown was clean as well. If you want to argue semantics over what constitutes a "defenseless" receiver vs a running back, keep in mind the premise of the rule was to protect the players. In that regard, the NFL rules committee failed miserably. The end result of both Shazier's & Burfect's hit had the same results.

Still trying to figure out why Assistant Line Backer coach is on the field during an injury, chirping in the other teams huddle 20 feet in front of where the injuried player is being helped and why shoving him is a 15 yard penalty when he is illegally on the field. That was mighty convenient.

This is the part the NFL and fans should be the most upset about really. Porter was clearly breaking a well known rule that he should have been flagged for but wasnt. He was literally right in front of the ref for goodness sake. He will get fined but that has a monumental impact on the game.

The whole debate about helmet to helmet hits is puzzling to me though. I comeptely know what the rules are, but to say they care avout player safety is a joke. If you are truly trying to make the game safer any time you use the crown, runner or not, should be a penalty.

This is the part the NFL and fans should be the most upset about really. Porter was clearly breaking a well known rule that he should have been flagged for but wasnt. He was literally right in front of the ref for goodness sake. He will get fined but that has a monumental impact on the game.

The whole debate about helmet to helmet hits is puzzling to me though. I comeptely know what the rules are, but to say they care avout player safety is a joke. If you are truly trying to make the game safer any time you use the crown, runner or not, should be a penalty.

You know a lot of times you see the head coach go on the field to check on a injured player and they aren't aloud to be on the field either yet I have never seen one get flagged. Lets stop trying to make excuses as to why the Steelers won the game. The fact is it was a meltdown of epic proportions and not just by the two guy who couldn't control themselves (Jones &Burfict) but by Hill as well.

Like watching a rapist and a murderer fight to the death.......... I was hoping the rapist would die, but in the end, a piece of shit was eliminated.

Well said!

All that said, Ghoolie nailed it about Marvin Lewis. Expecting Burfict to play smart after he's lost control was like handing a box of matches and some gasoline to a pyromaniac and then wondering why he burned your house down a few minutes later.

And remember what franchise once had a HC and fan base looking down their noses at Cleveland fans for throwing stuff out on the field following a controversial call? Anyone think they changed their pov yesterday as the playoff game they watched got intercepted by a hockey game with a bunch of goons that can't skate?

When it comes to who is going to get away with more crown of the helmet collisions - smart money says it's going to be the team owned by the guy who also chairs the committee that hires the NFL Commissioner.

I wonder what Carson Palmer was thinking as he watched history repeat itself when Shazier didn't even get a flag. ESPN had an official on after the game and said he would have definitely given that a 15 yard flag for leading with the crown of the helmet. Rightfully so. Even though they showed a quick replay of the cheap shot of Pittsburgh talking Palmer's knee and KEEPING it - the knuckleheads covering the game were only capable of summarizing that as bad luck for Marvin Lewis rather than precedent set with a zero tolerance. The problem with Burfict was he already settled everything he had to before he became Pittsburgh's biggest hero. My avatar shows if you do it right the first time - there doesn't need to be a 2nd, 3rd or 4th attempt for your backup QB to end the day as the winning QB.

I don't feel bad for either team. If Cincy wants to count on punks like Burfict and Pac Man - don't cry when their 30 yards of penalties with less than 25 seconds to go turns into a chip shot game winning FG attempt.

I don't ever root for the Irish Mafia's steroid junkies, rapists and wife beaters in Pittsburgh. That said, it's just as difficult to root for Pac Man Jones and Burfict. The WWWF couldn't have written a more entertaining script.

You know a lot of times you see the head coach go on the field to check on a injured player and they aren't aloud to be on the field either yet I have never seen one get flagged. Lets stop trying to make excuses as to why the Steelers won the game. The fact is it was a meltdown of epic proportions and not just by the two guy who couldn't control themselves (Jones &Burfict) but by Hill as well.

.....except he was not just "checking on his player". He was literally hanging out on the field and talking to the Bengals players. I sure as shit can point to that as a monumental play because he should have been flagged and that is what everyone is saying this morning. He is going to get fined for it as well and the NFL will very likely say they should have been flagged.

I am so tired of hearing how one missed call does not define a game. There was 18 seconds left and if they throw a flag on porter it ceeates a much, much harder path for the Steelers to win. In fact, it was reported this morning that after those flags the steelers win probably went from 24% to 73%. Big ben was crippled so who knows what could have happened.

That's why two years ago they changed the rule outlawing hitting with the crown of the helmet... at any time... by any player... to any part of another player... almost anywhere.

Here is the rule: ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET.

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

Here's an early article discussing the rule change:

New helmet-use rule Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2013, 2:15 PM EST

The new rule prohibits ball carriers and defensive players from initiating contact in the open field with the crown of the helmet. The crown, as explained by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, is the top of the helmet. The facemask and hairline of the helmet may still be used to initiate contact.

Fisher emphasized that ball carriers will be permitted to protect themselves, by dropping their pads and dipping their helmets. A foul arises only if the top of the helmet is used to ram the opponent.

In that way, the new rule is an extension of the rule against spearing, which in NFL parlance means hitting a player who is on the ground with the crown (top) of the helmet.

The above explains why Shazier's hit was illegal and should have been flagged.

Even a RB is subject to penalty if he lowers his head and rams into a defender. Makes my favorite Earl highlight as illegal as Earl's tear-away jersey now is...

Did Bosa have the same DC as Shazier had? 1 guy not only got flagged for leading with the crown of his helmet by every official that had flags but he was also disqualified. Shazier drew zero flags and didn't Pitt get rewarded with the football in an outcome that separated the winner from the loser by 2 points?

It's not always about what you did as much as it's about who you play for. Just ask Carson Palmer who lost a knee to Pittsburgh during an 80 yard TD pass.

C'mon, Rich... non-playing personnel attending to injured players have always been allowed on the field. HCs, coordinators and even position coaches have always been extended the courtesy of being considered to be "attending" if they actually go to the injured player.

Porter will be fined for his role. The only thing Porter was attending to was the instigating the LOS a little closer for the upcoming FG attempt. He did and Pacman took the bait... bad on Pacman, but Porter should not have been rewarded. And note that his conduct should have been penalized even had it occurred with him on the sideline... same as Munchak was early in the game.

Here are the rules:

ARTICLE 2. TEAM ATTENDANTS MAY ENTER FIELD DURING TIMEOUT. Either or both team attendants and their helpers may enter the field to attend their team during a team timeout by either team. No other non-player may come on the field without the Referee’s permission, unless he is an incoming substitute (5-2-2).

ARTICLE 8. NON-PLAYER PERSONNEL. Non-player personnel of a club (e.g., management personnel, coaches, trainers, equipment men) are prohibited from making unnecessary physical contact with or directing abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures at opponents, game officials, or representatives of the League.

Did Bosa have the same DC as Shazier had? 1 guy not only got flagged for leading with the crown of his helmet by every official that had flags but he was also disqualified. Shazier drew zero flags and didn't Pitt get rewarded with the football in an outcome that separated the winner from the loser by 2 points?

Different rules in college. College has the "targeting rule" that comes with disqualification but that doesn't exist in the NFL.

Seriously, though, Burfict's idiocy on the field shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

His last year at Arizona St. he had something like 10 personal fouls in 12 games. His out-of-control

on-field behavior was a major red flag for NFL scouts and he free fell in the the draft. It was

debated on this very board whether the Browns should take him or not----for: he's a mean, nasty

motherfucker on the field and the Browns haven't had anyone like that in a LONG time. Against: his

on-field nastiness comes with a price---he's seemingly incapable of controlling himself and will probably

end up costing whoever drafts him a game(s) at some point.

Different rules in college. College has the "targeting rule" that comes with disqualification but that doesn't exist in the NFL.

Surprisingly not true, Mark...

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

Until I was actually reading the rule a half hour ago I did not know DQ was an option. So the only real difference between Pros and College is the application and the replay review.

Surprisingly not true, Mark...

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Until I was actually reading the rule a half hour ago I did not know DQ was an option. So the only real difference between Pros and College is the application and the replay review.

Didn't know that as well. I don't think there's been an NFL player DQ'd for such a hit. But it happens in college every single week.

So you "are" allowed to hit a receiver in the NFL with the very top of your helmet? I know they announcers were saying he had a turn or a "football move"...that's debateable. But I didn't think you were allowed to lower your helmet like that period anymore. The fact that he caught Bernard square on the chin kind of illustrates that Bernard had just come down with the ball.

That's what I was thinking too

Is that why A Brown thinks he's in St Louise right now and Ben will be useless against Denvers D ? Bengals plus the Browns taking out your running back looks like a bunch of "sissies" have TOTALLY DEPLETED YOUR ROSTER !

hehe, i know i love it. I see stinky is trying to act like Pgh didn't get their asses kicked. It's why i kind of like Cincy. Pgh and Blt have gotten used to bullying the rest of the North around the field. Unfortunately Cleveland restructures every time they start to build a physical team. Cincy has had more or less the same structure for 8 or so years and they can play one up with both Blt and Pgh and punch them in the mouth. I'm really starting to like Burfict. He's exactly the kind of jail nigga i've been wanting in Cleveland for years. Like shittsburg steeler fans wanna act like they've never had someone like that even though "that guy" is still on the field for them and teaching the next generation of OLB'ers for them. They're just salty there's someone else like that in the North who isn't going to take their shit.

Anyone wanna spool up a video of all of Harrisons dirty shots? If you do it'll be clear Burfict still has his work cut out for him to be as dirty as Harrison has been throughout his career.

Burfict is my new hero! I wanna see him in Brown and Orange! He hates the Stoolers so much he should be ours. Two questions:

1: how long will he be banned for?

2: do the Bungals have a record for straight post season losses?

Archived