THE BROWNS BOARD

First Draft Pick Must be a QB - Paxton

MedinaDawg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not bashing anyone directly, sweetheart... I've watched him. Didn't take me too long to realize it's going to take a couple years alone just to fix his throwing motion. His delivery is slow. Very slow. DB's will absolutely break on the ball if he's your starter as a rookie.

Fact is, #1 overall QB's come in and start right away. It's not a position you're benched for a few years when being drafted that high by an organization with these needs. Also, you can ask damn near anyone on this board - I watch tape. If you're asking for Lynch to be taken that high, you're either a Memphis fan or you haven't watched him at all. I see no attributes that jump off the screen. In fact I liked Garrett Grayson more last year than I like Paxton this year.

I see a QB whom get's favorable looks off of his first read, comes off of it slow coupled with a slow delivery. Since I've yet to be wrong about any QB the Browns have drafted (save for McCoy, I thought he'd be decent to a slightly above average starter) I like my track record in this matter.

I, too, have been fairly spot on with QB's overall, all bullshit aside...and I don't hate Lynch as a prospect at all. This is through three full games of tape, though, so I still have some more to work through...but so far here's what I see:

His throwing motion is molasses; that damn double clutch takes days. But his release is actually fine - fairly consistent release point and the ball has action coming from his hand. I haven't seen anything that would indicate he's any slower coming off his read than any other QB in the past few years.

These discussions remind me plenty of the ones that occurred last year on this board about Mariota. They remind me plenty of the ones that occurred when Philip Rivers entered the draft. They remind me plenty of the ones that occurred when Joe Flacco entered the draft. They remind me plenty of the discussions that occurred when Blake Bortles entered the draft.

IMO, Lynch is no worse of a prospect than any of those aforementioned guys, save maybe Philip Rivers.

With the way college football is progressing, you're going to be hard pressed to find a prospect who's adept at running a four read offense so, IMO, while a guy may be a "risky" pick coming from a ready-fire system, it doesn't make him a bad pick. At this point, I'd put him well above any of the other QB's. The only discussion is where to pick him, for me.

Not being a Bosa-or-bust guy, that PFF take does set up an interesting trade competition prospects with TN at 2 and SD at 3 over Bosa.

"The most polarizing guy in the draft is going to be Connor Cook," he said.

Sounds like our kind of guy...

I've watched tape of every game he played last year and this year.

Great... please recommend three, can't-miss 2015 games here other than Ole Miss.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/paxton-lynch/

You will get a chance to see him play against Auburn, a school that by all means, should be considered too much for a school like Memphis.

His ability to get rid of the football will impress you. The fucker just doesn't hand on to the ball and he hits recievers in stride, quickly, just as they are breaking open. QBs are a big gamble, but the great ones pay off. I was pimping DeAngelo Williams back in the day. This kid is worth the gamble. He is a gentleman, a leader, and a just the kind of guy Browns fans could adopt and depend on.

For all my horseshit, I love the Browns. I want to see this kid in Cleveland.

Looking forward to his bowl appearance... or at least the cutdown of it.

Same as the above, please. Also (and I am serious about this) any references you have on his personality, leadership, etc.

Also been reading some good things about Goff. He might be the "more ready" prospect.

However, I'm still hopeful for a Manziel to Gordon combo. I know, I know...stop laughing. Manziel just seems like he could be so much fun to watch. You guys remember "fun", right? What does Manziel look like with a running game and a legit #1 WR? Hopefully we find out.

Also been reading some good things about Goff. He might be the "more ready" prospect.

However, I'm still hopeful for a Manziel to Gordon combo. I know, I know...stop laughing. Manziel just seems like he could be so much fun to watch. You guys remember "fun", right? What does Manziel look like with a running game and a legit #1 WR? Hopefully we find out.

If we're gonna lose, we might as well be entertaining. Under Pettine we're many things, but aggressive and entertaining is not one of them.

Goff, IMHO, has regressed this year. He is far too light, especially for our division. CAL's been trying to bulk him up for years and they just couldn't add much weight to his frame. At 6'4" 210lbs., I don't think he can take the hits he will absorb in the NFL. He certainly is no "cold-weather QB" either.

I saw Goff play against Utah.....and was not that impressed.

Ahem,

far be it from me to actually talk about football, versus the more philosophical shit, BUT........... Paxton is NFL ready. He is much more than an arm. An arm, as I have always said, is way don't the list on what makes a great QB.

Memphis is a small Div 1 school in the grand scheme of things. Ole Miss, a top 20 caliber team, threw the kitchen sink at this kid and he absolutely shredded their defense. He is Brian Sipe with a cannon; he is Dan Marino except bigger, faster and with moves. He is also a motivator and a leader. This kid is sound physically, emotionally, spiritually and intellectually.

If he is not job #1 for this Browns draft, then the Browns are bigger idiots than any of us know.

You will get a chance to see him play against Auburn, a school that by all means, should be considered too much for a school like Memphis. Now, mind you, the head coach moven on to greener pastures, but this kid can flat out play. And he plays TRADITIONAL QB....none of that horse cock RG3 fake ass Kordell Stewar bullshit. This guy is ALL QB.

His ability to get rid of the football will impress you. The fucker just doesn't hand on to the ball and he hits recievers in stride, quickly, just as they are breaking open. QBs are a big gamble, but the great ones pay off. I was pimping DeAngelo Williams back in the day. This kid is worth the gamble. He is a gentleman, a leader, and a just the kind of guy Browns fans could adopt and depend on.

For all my horseshit, I love the Browns. I want to see this kid in Cleveland.

OK....considering where the Browns may be drafting, they may have a difficult choice: Bosa is universally considered the best talent available, and likely the #1.

.....but a franchise QB means everything.....and if this guy will be what you think, then it could be a possible answer.

Trade Johnny to Dallas for a 3rd/4th rounder....get this guy...and hopefully he is what we would need here.

OK....considering where the Browns may be drafting, they may have a difficult choice: Bosa is universally considered the best talent available, and likely the #1.

.....but a franchise QB means everything.....and if this guy will be what you think, then it could be a possible answer.

Trade Johnny to Dallas for a 3rd/4th rounder....get this guy...and hopefully he is what we would need here.

Get the guy? Who is the guy? And again just because you draft somebody first or second overall doesn't mean he's a first or second talent.

And picking him there doesn't make it so. It just makes you more pissed off when that truth becomes apparent.

Paying $80,000 for a Dodge Neon doesn't make it a Maserati.

WSS

Get the guy? Who is the guy? And again just because you draft somebody first or second overall doesn't mean he's a first or second talent.

And picking him there doesn't make it so. It just makes you more pissed off when that truth becomes apparent.

Paying $80,000 for a Dodge Neon doesn't make it a Maserati.

WSS

Yes, we are all cognizant of the Jamarcus Russells, Ryan Leafs, Joey Harringtons...etc.

Can't say this guy won't be among that group....

so....we have to rely on Ghoolie's word about him...no? :o

Gipper, a couple things come to my mind it isn't just the Browns who have floundered and gone through QBs looking for the right one. People can talk about youth, speed, OL, defense and all the other minutiae, but I don't know of too many SB winners that did not have a stellar QB.

Not too many.....a few....Rypien, Dilfer, maybe Brad Johnson....but overall you are right.

We can debate until we are blue in the face what it takes to win, but there is a reason the QB is the highest paid position, the guy that is the featured character in movies and pretty much all football culture in America.

Cowher had all the speed, defense, youth and other shit people are talking about, but until he got Ben, Pittsburgh couldn't win. Now they win even when they play like shit. Same with Cincy. On and on it goes.

Well, honestly....that 2005 Steeler team won in spite of BR. At that time he was NOT a stellar QB. He has since become one. That 2005 team was more like the 2000 Ravens than say the 2008 Steelers.

A QB is more than just the guy who throws the football. Life is an emotional sport. People need to believe in the guy they are following. Defenses play better when the QB holds on to the ball for longer drives, OL play better when they have the edge of not knowing where the hell the ball is going next.... in football, the heart of the team is the QB.

Only a mental child holds on to the belief that Johnny M is that guy. Maybe I am missing something, and if I am by all means educate me, but can yuo tell me the last time that some player the fans really, really counted on, changed his life around from being an asshole, to a solid, exemplary team leader and champion?

I am not the one to try to change your mind about that. I essentially agree.

If we are being honest, who the hell would want to be drafted knowing that they were going to be led by Manziel?

It isn't his off field behavior that is the problem. It is his heart, his understanding the importance of his role to the team, to the legacy and to the fans. Not taking Lynch at #1 amounts to nothing less than staying in the basement of the NFL. It is that cut and dry.

Lynch, as every player in the draft is a gamble. The Browns can't afford to gamble small, like they did with the wasted Joe Thomas pick. You have a big pick, you make a big wager. Anything else is the act of a coward.

I may still perhaps be very much on board with a pick of Bosa.....but you certainly have a valid point.

Steve, I don't disagree with you at all. Joe Thomas was a Dodge Neon pick. There was absolutely no upside to that pick.

Again....I am not sure why you are obsessed with the one pick the Browns have made that turned out well.

And yet, you are not apparently upset with the very bad choices the Browns have made. Including 2007 the Browns have made 13 draft picks in the first round.....

What about carping about the other 12

Love him, send him to the fucking Hall of Fame, or have Tim Couch Pulls Out blow him, he remains the most over paid, under performing draft pick since Mike Phipps. Nobody (Save me, I have been the most accurate) can determine whether a pick was worth his money until the guy actually plays.

Except that the other 12 first round picks I refer to above.....were ALL more overpaid and underperforming than he was.

That said, if you are going to gamble, roll the die on the guy who, IF he shines, is a game changer. If the Browns pass on Lynch they will have made another, AP, Ben, Julio Jones leel mistake.

For those then....you must rail on the picks of Phil Taylor, Kellen Winslow and others...not on the JT pick.

Browns can't afford to gamble small, like they did with the wasted Joe Thomas pick.

You mean such as gambling away a future 1st rounder and other picks for Brady Quinn shortly after Joe?

Also, 'wasted'... Yeah, that's about the dumbest thing I've seen on this board. Keep in mind, there is a TON of dumb shit on here.

You mean such as gambling away a future 1st rounder and other picks for Brady Quinn shortly after Joe?

Also, 'wasted'... Yeah, that's about the dumbest thing I've seen on this board. Keep in mind, there is a TON of dumb shit on here.

Yeah, I post here

Right....as I said, Ghoolie is always griping about picking JT high instead of taking an offensive skill player high.

But we have taken a ton of offensive skill players very high....and they never want to work out;

Braylon #3

K2 #11

Richardson #3

Quinn #22

Weeden #22

Manziel #22

I mean shit Maude....these all are suckage supreme....yet he doesn't complain about them so much (except maybe JMZ)

Yeah, I post here

See? I've even got YOUR support. So I know I'm in the right corner here.

Errr.....wait, what?

I love the 'we should have taken AP instead' crowd. Let us imagine our 2007 Oline without Joe. Feel free to move forward until present day with that as well. Would Adrian have found the success here that he has enjoyed with Minnesota? I'm not entirely sure about that.

Seriously though, guys - anybody check out Carson Wentz yet?

See? I've even got YOUR support. So I know I'm in the right corner here.

Errr.....wait, what?

I love the 'we should have taken AP instead' crowd. Let us imagine our 2007 Oline without Joe. Feel free to move forward until present day with that as well. Would Adrian have found the success here that he has enjoyed with Minnesota? I'm not entirely sure about that.

Seriously though, guys - anybody check out Carson Wentz yet?

You'll find that Ghoolie is in a "we should have taken anyone else" crowd.

He should have taken any other instrument beside accordion.

I watch tons of college football. I live in SEC country and pay for the Big ten channel. I don't like any of the quarterbacks enough to take with the first pick. Not one is a blue chip. Not one is Jameis Winston. I would take a QB but there's not one that deserves first pick in this draft. Although Imstill think Cardale Jones could be developed. I would take him in 2nd or 3rd. We need a ton of help. Bosa, Adolphus Washington, Ezekiel Elliot would help. Elliot is as good as they come. We have the 2nd worst run game next to the Chargers. The Browns are second in the league in pass attempts with no Quarterback.

I take a pass on Paxton.

A lot of people like to talk about the QB, but I think this season has taught us just how much talent we are lacking at other positions. I don't think drafting a QB at the #1 or #2 slot will do us much good. As I'm wildly optimistic this morning, I still maintain that Manziel will be our guy, and I think McCown backs him up. I like our QB's, and I'm sticking to it. We've invested two years in Manziel, why let another team reap the benefits? Let's stay the course on Manziel, at least one more year. He's in a tough spot right now, and much of it has to do with his own mistakes, but not all of it. He'll be playing with no running game, and very limited weapons. Not exactly ideal.

So how about Laremy Tunsil? He's the mammoth OT from Ole Miss (I think), and he grades out VERY well. He could be the guy that replaces Mitchell Schwartz, and then possibly takes over for Joe Thomas. Schwartz hasn't been bad this year, but I also don't think he's been as good as his "grades" suggest. I also don't believe him to be a great run blocker, and we need to start getting some road graders so we can run the damn ball. You guys remember running the ball, right?

If not Tunsil, then another huge need is Bosa. No need to go into why.

And how about Laquon Treadwell? He's a big play WR that could help right away, and he'd be a solid pick, especially if Gordon doesn't pan out.

Gilbert didn't work out, or at least he hasn't yet. So the next choice is Jalen Ramsey, or the CB from Florida.

I like all of these picks WAY more than taking a QB first overall.

A lot of people like to talk about the QB, but I think this season has taught us just how much talent we are lacking at other positions. I don't think drafting a QB at the #1 or #2 slot will do us much good. As I'm wildly optimistic this morning, I still maintain that Manziel will be our guy, and I think McCown backs him up. I like our QB's, and I'm sticking to it. We've invested two years in Manziel, why let another team reap the benefits? Let's stay the course on Manziel, at least one more year. He's in a tough spot right now, and much of it has to do with his own mistakes, but not all of it. He'll be playing with no running game, and very limited weapons. Not exactly ideal.

So how about Laremy Tunsil? He's the mammoth OT from Ole Miss (I think), and he grades out VERY well. He could be the guy that replaces Mitchell Schwartz, and then possibly takes over for Joe Thomas. Schwartz hasn't been bad this year, but I also don't think he's been as good as his "grades" suggest. I also don't believe him to be a great run blocker, and we need to start getting some road graders so we can run the damn ball. You guys remember running the ball, right?

If not Tunsil, then another huge need is Bosa. No need to go into why.

And how about Laquon Treadwell? He's a big play WR that could help right away, and he'd be a solid pick, especially if Gordon doesn't pan out.

Gilbert didn't work out, or at least he hasn't yet. So the next choice is Jalen Ramsey, or the CB from Florida.

I like all of these picks WAY more than taking a QB first overall.

Exactly why I have been touting multiple trade downs during the first round so we can get about 5-6 mid 1st to late second rounders all at one time. But that actually takes a brilliant GM. Know any?

Archived