THE BROWNS BOARD

First Draft Pick Must be a QB - Paxton

MedinaDawg

They were also the team with the worst record the year Elway was drafted....he just refused to play for them.....

In terms of winning games leading upto drafting luck, they won 12-12-14-12-13-12-14-10....then only 2....then back to 11-11-11.....

HTF does THAT happen?.....(conspiracy).... ;)

There are no ifs, ands or buts about the fact that the Colts purposely tanked nearly all games that year so they could draft Luck.

Hell, at this point they probably wouldn't deny it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest areas of need are LB and WR.

Unless there's a sure fire elite QB (and I don't see any) the Browns need to field any offers for that #1 pick.

Let's just hope we have someone other than Farmer picking.

does anyone see a future HOFer in this draft?......I sure dont.....

if any player is to be called that, Id say Bosa is the best bet tho....

But, there are no slam dunks this year.....which figures....considering our luck with the draft....

There have been very few if any years in which a HOF player was not drafted.

And let's not forget that the draft in April won't look a thing like it does now. Wasn't Bridewater thought for a while to be the number 1 pick, and then he had people saying he had a small frame and a bad pro day and POOF....he drops. There will always be players that rocket up the list, and some that will fall.

If indeed we do need another QB, I'm excited about the end of the first round talent. I'm going to look at the second tier QB group today and see what's out there. I think people might laugh at this, but I'd be ok with McCown being the guy next year with a revamped team. How about McCown throwing to Gordon, Barnidge, Duke, Benji? Sure, we need more talent and depth, but that's a decent start to me.

I'd love to see a new running back and an established OL coach. I won't lie, watching Erving get thrown around like a little bitch scares the crap out of me, but he's young. Most definitely not writing him off. I think our team is going to look a lot different next year, but I'm still hoping we can see some of our young guys battle and improve.

There have been very few if any years in which a HOF player was not drafted.

Right....and even fewer years where those HOF player were obvious "before" the draft....

So...which one is it this year?

Out of 300ish members in the HOF, how many were selected first pick?.......only 13(and only 1 overall #1 has made it in the last 30 years, with none on the horizon)

Out of ALL the overall 1st picks in the draft, how many were ROY?....only 5

So....yep....there may be a HOFer every year....but its rare to know who that is......and it's extremely rare when the draft has a slam dunk #1 who then becomes a HOFer....compared to how many years the best players are hotly debated as to who is #1.....

Most HOFers come later in the draft and, usually, no one sees them coming.....

Right....and even fewer years where those HOF player were obvious "before" the draft....

True

Out of 300ish members in the HOF, how many were selected first pick?.......only 13(and only 1 overall #1 has made it in the last 30 years, with none on the horizon)

Orlando Pace and Peyton Manning are pretty sure things. And Luck and Newton certainly are on a pretty good track.. though sure, not certain.

A few "borderline but not quite" are there: Bledsoe, Carson Palmer...and Eli might could make it. His gross numbers could approach his brothers when all is said and done...and he has those 2 titles.

So....yep....there may be a HOFer every year....but its rare to know who that is......and it's extremely rare when the draft has a slam dunk #1 who then becomes a HOFer....compared to how many years the best players are hotly debated as to who is #1.....

But there still have been more HOF players drafted in the first round....and high in the first round, than any other draft slotting.

But there still have been more HOF players drafted in the first round....and high in the first round, than any other draft slotting.

Dont question that at all.....the better players are picked first....and they are the most likely to go to the HOF.....

I just said I dont "see an obvious HOFer" in this draft".....pretty simple.....and I dont see a slam dunk #1....

Do you?....if so, who?

True

Orlando Pace and Peyton Manning are pretty sure things. And Luck and Newton certainly are on a pretty good track.. though sure, not certain.

A few "borderline but not quite" are there: Bledsoe, Carson Palmer...and Eli might could make it. His gross numbers could approach his brothers when all is said and done...and he has those 2 titles.

And that brings us to the Triumverate: The Three people who: Were Heisman trophy winners.....and #1 pick in the draft...and are in the PFHOF:

Paul Hornung

OJ Simpson

Earl Campbell.

Who could join this group: again....Palmer, borderline (he wins the next 2 Super Bowls...he would get in probably). Futuristic: Cam Newton

Dont question that at all.....the better players are picked first....and they are the most likely to go to the HOF.....

I just said I dont "see an obvious HOFer" in this draft".....pretty simple.....and I dont see a slam dunk #1....

Do you?....if so, who?

Bosa seems to be the consensus best player per the reports I read....but slam dunk? Probably not. A team desperate for a QB could overide that choice.

Do you?....if so, who?

I totally agree which is why I indicated that if no one rises to that level then we need to go the trade down option early and often to fill the needs we know that we really do have. Identifying those needs is far easier to see than a "slam dunk" at #1.

Of course you all know JM is gonna throw a monkey wrench into all this by leading the team to 3 wins and out of the 1st overall pick, right? :lol:

I totally agree which is why I indicated that if no one rises to that level then we need to go the trade down option early and often to fill the needs we know that we really do have. Identifying those needs is far easier to see than a "slam dunk" at #1.

Of course you all know JM is gonna throw a monkey wrench into all this by leading the team to 3 wins and out of the 1st overall pick, right? :lol:

Im gonna agree there.....I dont know how much the first pick is worth this year, considering the lack of superstars.....and Ive heard no one else has 2 picks in the first......so Id strongly consider a trade back for something like a top 10 1st and 2nd rounder....plus next years first...(or a great LB, RB or WR if they happen to have one to trade)...;)

i'm back and forth on Bosa now. On the one hand I don't want some kid here who didn't just disrespect the org, which would have been well deserved, but he shit on the city. He has to play for that 2nd contract though so he can't come here and fuck off. On the other hand....if we were to take him that would almost guarantee that we're moving to a 4-3 as I believe he's adamant that he's not going to be 5 tech or a cover OLB'er. He's willing to be a drop back DE who will play DT in Nascar situations. The legue would crucify the Browns and Pettine if we did something stupid with Bosa.

That attitude though worries me, maybe he is a dipshit afterall.

Bosa seems to be the consensus best player per the reports I read....but slam dunk? Probably not. A team desperate for a QB could overide that choice.

How desperate you have to be to take a quarterback at number one that probably shouldn't go until the second round?

When you can have the best defensive player in the draft supposedly?

WSS

I think anyone clamoring for Paxton #1 overall is taking the word of Kiper or McShay too much.

Best to watch some tape for yourself.

At this point, Kiper has Bosa #1, Lynch #2.

Again...is this just overreaching because Lynch is a QB....or does he really have the skills?

Compare him to the guys that went 1-2 last year. Is he in that category? Or should he really have a mid 1st grade, but is overinflated because he is QB?

jiggy, you can take a look here at his game tape

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/paxton-lynch/

Nothing really jumps off the screen for me, except a lack of touch.

I would urge you guys, if your seriously into the draft, to watch the highlights of every game he's played this year. It can be done in less that an hour. He has grown leaps-and-bounds this year and will continue to do that for whatever NFL team draft him because he has all of the attributes you look for in an NFL QB.

I like Goff over Lynch from limited I have seen of both.

If they decide to give up on Manziel, QB should be the pick. The question then is which one.

And I get that there plenty of problems with the roster -- but removing their coaching stuff (Especially every person involved with their defense), could help.

Defensive coordinator candidates shouldn't be hard to find. Perry Fewell did a nice job with NYG as DC for a period. Hes the DB coach for Redskins. Their personnel (from my understanding) has been injured, and subpar talent-wise, but they're not playing so poorly.

Goff, IMHO, has regressed this year. He is far too light, especially for our division. CAL's been trying to bulk him up for years and they just couldn't add much weight to his frame. At 6'4" 210lbs., I don't think he can take the hits he will absorb in the NFL. He certainly is no "cold-weather QB" either.

Biggest areas of need are LB and WR.

Unless there's a sure fire elite QB (and I don't see any) the Browns need to field any offers for that #1 pick.

Let's just hope we have someone other than Farmer picking.

I completely and respectfully disagree. If they don't grab Paxton Lynch (because he's not viewed as being "elite", at the moment) you need to draft another elite player. You don't get that player by trading down. If he's elite (like Bosa), you take him. I'd like to see the backlash, for the next decade, of not drafting Bosa (again if we pass on Lynch) and him turning into the monster he's expected to be.

Talk of drafting a WR high in the draft is perplexing. Are people forgeting we have Gordon coming back, a true elite receiver. Pair him with Benjamin, Hartline, and Barnidge, and we have a nice looking group of receivers. I'd count Pryor into the group. They need to invest everything they've got into his development. Heck, 6'5" and runs a 4.38? Teach him how to run routes and create separation. I'd love to see teams trying to cover our intermediate receivers when you have Benjamin and Pryor drawing coverge deep with sub-4.4 speed.

I think anyone clamoring for Paxton #1 overall is taking the word of Kiper or McShay too much.

Best to watch some tape for yourself.

I've watched tape of every game he played last year and this year. I don't get where you assume that just because someone's clamoring for Lynch, they're just listening to Kiper or McShay I doubt you have watched all of the tapes, or even one of them. You can do it in an hour or so. Your willingness to bash someone just because they think Lynch shoiuld be our #1 pick is both baffling and revealing of your nature,

Goff, IMHO, has regressed this year. He is far too light, especially for our division. CAL's been trying to bulk him up for years and they just couldn't add much weight to his frame. At 6'4" 210lbs., I don't think he can take the hits he will absorb in the NFL. He certainly is no "cold-weather QB" either.

Aaron Rogers says 'hello'.

An NFC regional scout said Michigan State senior QB Connor Cook is a third-round prospect.

"The most polarizing guy in the draft is going to be Connor Cook," he said. "Watch. Scouts argue about him all the time. We've seen him long enough that everyone's mind is made up already. He's a third-rounder to me and an average starter at best." Similar to Brady Quinn several years ago, Cook is a long-time starter who folks still can't quite get their finger on despite ample tape to watch. "Cook has been a productive starter who has shown improvement each year, but there are still questions about his accuracy on the NFL level and whether or not he can be a team leader in the locker room and on the field," noted NFL.com. "While Cook might be polarizing, he's also a quality quarterback, and quality quarterbacks rarely fall very far outside of the second round."

for those who think cooks the answer

I've watched tape of every game he played last year and this year. I don't get where you assume that just because someone's clamoring for Lynch, they're just listening to Kiper or McShay I doubt you have watched all of the tapes, or even one of them. You can do it in an hour or so. Your willingness to bash someone just because they think Lynch shoiuld be our #1 pick is both baffling and revealing of your nature,

I'm not bashing anyone directly, sweetheart... I've watched him. Didn't take me too long to realize it's going to take a couple years alone just to fix his throwing motion. His delivery is slow. Very slow. DB's will absolutely break on the ball if he's your starter as a rookie.

Fact is, #1 overall QB's come in and start right away. It's not a position you're benched for a few years when being drafted that high by an organization with these needs. Also, you can ask damn near anyone on this board - I watch tape. If you're asking for Lynch to be taken that high, you're either a Memphis fan or you haven't watched him at all. I see no attributes that jump off the screen. In fact I liked Garrett Grayson more last year than I like Paxton this year.

I see a QB whom get's favorable looks off of his first read, comes off of it slow coupled with a slow delivery. Since I've yet to be wrong about any QB the Browns have drafted (save for McCoy, I thought he'd be decent to a slightly above average starter) I like my track record in this matter.

Here's and ideal that draft some body that will contribute like zeke or a wr and then get some d. Let's not waste another first round on a fucking qb that will suck a d dipshits will chant his name to be put In and even if he had talent would not be ready. Pick the qb first or second round and develop him or just bring McCown back or Hoyer they are both atleast good enough. Or turn Austin lose

Archived