THE BROWNS BOARD

First Draft Pick Must be a QB - Paxton

MedinaDawg

Regardless of our lack of talent at other positions, we need to draft Paxton. Forget seeing what Johnny has during the last 4 games...he needs to be released of traded after the season's end. Can the Browns take the chance of him repeating his antics going into next year? Take the chance of having to release/trade him during next year's season? Do the veteran players actually want to play with a "leader" like Manziel? No, on all counts.

This Manziel circus is 100% the fault of the front office/head coach. They knew they were taking a huge risk when they couldn't afford to take a risk. They're the ones who let us down, not Johnny. Heck, the poor kid has a serious addiction to alcohol....he is an alcoholic, period. What did they expect him to do...be cured of alcoholism by promoting him to the starter? Give an alcoholic a reason to drink and he will drink. Whether it's due to good news (celebration) or bad news (drowning one's sorrows), he IS going to drink. He will not quit at this age. He will cover up his drinking, deny he is drinking, and lie to everyone about his drinking. This kid needs to hit absolute, rock-bottom. Being named an NFL starter and making millions/year is not rock-bottom.

The Browns need to realize this and write him off. We need to try, again, to find our franchise QB as you're not going to win without one. Paxton represent the best chance at finding a franchise QB in this draft, and we can't wait till the next draft. He needs some development time but he is our best bet at 6'7", 245lbs., cannon arm, rare athleticism for a tall guy, and good decision-making.

Pull the trigger.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon Weeden supposedly had a "cannon arm" too. That turned out well for us. We don't have a few years to sit back and see if he can develop or not. Paxton is not NFL ready. If i had to take a QB early, I'd take Connor Cook, who runs a pro style offense all day over him.

This drafts QB's aren't very deep. No Lucks are in it, and Kiper said, "I wouldn't want the first pick in next years draft".

We need playmakers and a good base. Mccown is a good bridge QB, and we need to find out if Johnny can light it up. He's a 23 year old kid.....

Pettine would probably start Mccown a couple more years and then Sign Hassleback and start him year 3 before he even lets Lynch hit the field.

Some guys are good on Paper, but just not NFL ready....

Brandon Weeden supposedly had a "cannon arm" too. That turned out well for us. We don't have a few years to sit back and see if he can develop or not. Paxton is not NFL ready. If i had to take a QB early, I'd take Connor Cook, who runs a pro style offense all day over him.

This drafts QB's aren't very deep. No Lucks are in it, and Kiper said, "I wouldn't want the first pick in next years draft".

We need playmakers and a good base. Mccown is a good bridge QB, and we need to find out if Johnny can light it up. He's a 23 year old kid.....

Pettine would probably start Mccown a couple more years and then Sign Hassleback and start him year 3 before he even lets Lynch hit the field.

Some guys are good on Paper, but just not NFL ready....

Disregarding the fact the Weeden and Lynch aren't even close to the same prospect whatsoever...like not even in the same universe...what does Weeden's failure have to do with Lynch's career potential?

Regardless of our lack of talent at other positions, we need to draft Paxton.

Paxton represent the best chance at finding a franchise QB in this draft, and we can't wait till the next draft. He needs some development time but he is our best bet at 6'7", 245lbs., cannon arm, rare athleticism for a tall guy, and good decision-making.

Pull the trigger.

Slow your roll there, Cowboy... April 28 is a long way off.

But in the meantime, feel free to suggest three 2015 games or so where we will see what you see.

But in the meantime, feel free to suggest three 2015 games or so where we will see what you see.

I don't watch enough college football (other than OSU) to have a strong opinion one way or another about any of the QB's in this years draft but I did read a few weeks ago Peter King saying that he thought that Paxton Lynch should be the first pick of the Browns next year.

I don't watch enough college football (other than OSU) to have a strong opinion one way or another about any of the QB's in this years draft but I did read a few weeks ago Peter King saying that he thought that Paxton Lynch should be the first pick of the Browns next year.

Me neither, Mark and "highlight reels" are just that. Fortunately there are the cut-downs at Players Draft Breakdown...

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/

In 12 minutes or so you can see every throw a QB makes in a given game. I'm a couple into Lynch so far and yet to see a #1 overall prospect... but I'm still looking.

WRs and RBs can take less time.

Ironically OL takes the longest since they are in every play... just my luck.

Pretty much the same for

I actually agree for the most part, and I think he shows flashes in every game a la a young Aaron Rodgers.

Normally when you get into the whole "he is a talent but he needs to sit" it's because they are lacking in the mental department or in the maturity department...yet those are two areas where Lynch excels.

His lower body is his biggest weakness, he's still learning how to correctly use his legs to maximize power and sharpen his accuracy...but he fills nearly every one of my other check marks. Mature, smart, physical, confident, a competitor, and athletic.

Id put his ceiling as Rodgers, his floor as Boller, and his realistic match as Rivers. Oddly enough, I think I may have said the same thing about Mariota.

Id put his ceiling as Rodgers, his floor as Boller, and his realistic match as Rivers. Oddly enough, I think I may have said the same thing about Mariota.

I'll take his ceiling (duh!)...totally pass on his floor, but if you can tell me that I'll get Phil Rivers for the next 12+ years or however long he's been playing, sign me up.

And on a side note...watching Sam Cassell play QB for the Cowboys tonight...ship Johnny the Drunk to Dallas as soon as the trade window reopens.

I'll take his ceiling (duh!)...totally pass on his floor, but if you can tell me that I'll get Phil Rivers for the next 12+ years or however long he's been playing, sign me up.

And on a side note...watching Sam Cassell play QB for the Cowboys tonight...ship Johnny the Drunk to Dallas as soon as the trade window reopens.

46 year old point guards don't make good quarterbacks :wacko:

I actually agree for the most part, and I think he shows flashes in every game a la a young Aaron Rodgers.

Normally when you get into the whole "he is a talent but he needs to sit" it's because they are lacking in the mental department or in the maturity department...yet those are two areas where Lynch excels.

His lower body is his biggest weakness, he's still learning how to correctly use his legs to maximize power and sharpen his accuracy...but he fills nearly every one of my other check marks. Mature, smart, physical, confident, a competitor, and athletic.

Limited time so far, but I'm seeing only 1st progression throws that do not seem be read driven. And even then the coverage does not seem to matter. Probably three out 10 throws should not have been made. So the smart is not coming thru as yet. Also have pocket awareness questions.

Agree on most else with an abstain for maturity (no idea) and an exception on athletic as he is not agile.

Can't make floor/ceiling calls, but throwing motion reminded of Brees.

Can we stop the 'WE MUST DRAFT A QB' bullshit already? Can anyone genuinely look at any of our games and, regardless of who was our QB, say "this loss is a direct result of bad QB play?" McCown has been better than we could have hoped; Manziel has improved a lot this year and has similar numbers to McCown (per game) and even Austin Davis looked respectable.

Fix the running game, fix the D, find some receivers, and any of those three QBs will take us to at least 8-8 and probably a winning record.

trade down in top 10 if Lynch is there pull the trigger,then use the picks in some combination to jump back into the first round and pick Zeke Elliot.

Watched arguably his best game against his most difficult opponent, Ole Miss. I only saw him come off his primary receiver once (for a TD) during the whole game. A lot of passes completed by superior catches of throws that were not quite on, but Ole Miss was off their norm for the day as well leaving those primaries too open. A lot of forced in throws.

I'd rather trade down to get an inside LB, then use some gains to get Elliott if still there. I'd have a hard time passing on Bosa, but not Lynch. I'd also put Shelton on a mandatory strength and conditioning program that changes that body into a more muscular 340 lbs. I don't think our primary problems start with the QB on O. They need some weapons and better OL coaching. Defense is just too big a mess to cure without a massive infusion of talent and coaching, starting at ILB. I'd also seriously consider trying to trade JM for someone's1st rounder and throw in Gilbert if I had to. The two together could bait someone in.

That number 1 pick is more curse than anything. everyone yells yipee, yipee but it's a rare year when that first pick makes an impact. And if you pick 1 and gotta wait 3 years for him to 1,mature, 2, have the game "slow down" 3, have it all come together. In the meantime you have 2 billion fans screaming for your ass. All that for 1 guy when you need 10 spots filled. FAs suck!!!!!!! They already got theirs and have no drive to excel. That takes youth..... IT'S HUMAN NATURE!

Can we stop the 'WE MUST DRAFT A QB' bullshit already? Can anyone genuinely look at any of our games and, regardless of who was our QB, say "this loss is a direct result of bad QB play?" McCown has been better than we could have hoped; Manziel has improved a lot this year and has similar numbers to McCown (per game) and even Austin Davis looked respectable.

Fix the running game, fix the D, find some receivers, and any of those three QBs will take us to at least 8-8 and probably a winning record.

Johnny will be the Browns QB for years to come. Pettine will be gone and we will have a coach who will use his abilities instead of treating him like a 12 year old punk.

I won't lie, Lynch is definitely intriguing. The problem is, he doesn't appear to be ready to take over an NFL team. This is completely my opinion, and I could be dead wrong, so don't beat me up. I'm just going by what VERY little I've seen of him, and what articles I've read. I do love how he made significant progress from last year, and he appears to have a very high ceiling. I would guess he would do well if he had a solid season as a backup, and learned the nuances of the NFL game behind a veteran. Does he have the physical gifts most people covet? Oh yeah, he has those in spades. He also has killer mobility for a man of his stature.

Next year will be Manziel's third year in the pros, and I still have hope that he will be our guy. He has only four more games to show his stuff this season, and it won't be easy with our paltry receiving corp and nonexistent running game. Manziel's situation isn't ideal by any means, and it's honestly going to be very difficult to judge just what exactly he can do with such limited weapons. I guess you look for things like being prepared, knowing the protections, getting the ball out to the correct read, and so on. It wouldn't be fair to judge Johnny on wins and losses alone, and it's going to be difficult to gauge him on his numbers as well. During the next four games, we'll have to see if receivers are getting open, if the line is giving him any time, and also whether or not the coaches are putting him in successful situations. By not having a running game, Johnny will probably be facing consistent 3rd and longs, which is difficult for seasoned NFL quarterbacks, let alone a guy with limited experience and no weapons.

Our team is so devoid of impact players, that it's difficult to spend the first pick of the ENTIRE draft on a QB. This draft does not appear at this time to have that "can't miss guy" that some other drafts have had, and while it's just our freaking luck, there's nothing we can do about it. We have to take the absolute best player available because chances are, he'll be better than whatever we have at just about ANY position. We should've traded Joe Thomas to the Broncos for their #1, and then we could draft Tunsil at LT. (I think that's his name). Right now, I'm guessing Joey Bosa is the best player that fits the biggest need. Our OLB's are COMPLETELY TERRIBLE, and they barely average one damn tackle a game. Bosa would be an instant upgrade, and I don't worry about him speaking negatively about the city of Cleveland. If he's the number one pick, he'll love this town. The other guy I've been screaming about for several weeks is Jalen Ramsey from Florida State, and no, it's not just because I'm a diehard Nole fan. It's because he's almost 6'3, over 200 pounds, and can tackle, cover, and slap your grandmother at the same time.

In typical Jiggins fashion, I have written a long and pointless thread, but in short....we have WAY too many other needs to spend the number one pick of the draft on Lynch. I have not looked AT ALL at the "second tier" quarterbacks, but if we decide we need one, that's the direction I would go. I would try to get the best QB I could in the second round. One ALWAYS falls later than he should, and that's the guy I would snap up. It's safe to say that we're going to have a new coaching staff next year, and maybe the new guys jive with Johnny a little more? Maybe Johnny won't be an asshole? And maybe I'll buy the winning the lotto ticket...

I say again, unless Bosa is going to be all pro and make this sow's ear defense

into a silk purse... "ha"...

you take the pick and trade it for two lower picks in the first round.

Then you draft an elite wr...and elliot...

and in this particular upcoming draft, I'd go Hogan in the second round.

That's if they stay with Oneil and Pettine's defense.

No sense in drafting players that may or may not fit the new defense that inevitably

is going to have to replace this pett-oneil clusterfook until after the first three picks.

Archived