Playoffs, Bowl matchups

The Gipper

The likely participants of the College Playoff are:

Oklahoma

Alabama....assuming they beat Fla......

Clemson...assuming they beat North Carolina

MSU/Iowa winner

The Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl will be the playoff semifinals game

The other "major bowls" that are tied into the playoff system are the Fiesta, Rose, Sugar, and Peach Bowls:

The Sugar Bowl has tie-ins that take an SEC team and a Big 12 team. It is assumed that the Sugar will take the SEC championship game loser....presumably Florida, and the 2d place B12 team....but who knows who that is at this point: it could be OK St., Baylor or TCU

The Rose Bowl has tie-ins with the Pac 12 and Big Ten It is assumed that no P12 team will make the playoffs, so it is assumed that the winner of Stanford/USC will play the loser of MSU/Iowa.

The Fiesta Bowl and the Peach Bowl have no conference tie-ins. They pick their participants from the pool of teams that are left......each gets a pick in order: Fiesta Bowl picks first, then Peach, then Fiesta, then Peach.

Let's make an assumption: Fiesta Bowl, getting first crack takes the highest ranked available team. That is almost guaranteed to be Ohio St.

Then the Peach Bowl picks......and I am certain that they will not be able to resist the allure of selecting Notre Dame.

But, then, who does the Fiesta Bowl pick to face OSU? Some speculate that they would take Houston. Yes, Houston.....but why is there that speculation? They are now #17 in the AP Poll.....and to my knowledge, Houston Univ. does not really travel that well....does it? The only attraction is that the current HC of Houston is the former OC of Ohio St.

It seems to me that after OSU and ND are taken, the next best choices from both ranking standpoint and "teams that travel" standpoint would be likely ACC champion game loser North Carolina (assuming they lose), and #10 ranked Florida St. Alternately, the next best choices would be the teams left out of the Sugar Bowl from among TCU/Baylor OK St.

I am not aware of Ohio St. having ever played either UNC or OK St. Those matchups could be good/interesting

The big wrench in the works would be if either Clemson or Alabama lose their conf. title games.

Then everything would be chaos and up for grabs.

Which, quite frankly my dear, I would like to see.

Actually I wish those tie-ins didn't exist because you know what bowl matchup I would like to see:

Ohio St. vs. Iowa (assuming Iowa would lose to MSU)

They didn't play during the year. And if neither are in the playoff that would be as good a bowl matchup as I can think of. Send them both to Atlanta or Arizona?

I guess I got spoiled last year. I have to admit, I'm not real fired up about a Fiesta Bowl trip to play Houston, North Carolina, or Oklahoma State. I can't imagine that many fans will make that trip. I could be wrong. I still think this is one of the four best teams in the country.

I guess I got spoiled last year. I have to admit, I'm not real fired up about a Fiesta Bowl trip to play Houston, North Carolina, or Oklahoma State. I can't imagine that many fans will make that trip. I could be wrong. I still think this is one of the four best teams in the country.

I expect the Fiesta will take OSU......but it would be kind of nice to see them play in the Peach...which I am not aware that they have ever played in before.

I would take Ole Miss in the Sugar over Florida. They'll both have 3 losses after this weekend. Ole Miss is clearly the better team right now. I know, I know, it was settled on the field. But UF has no offense since the Grier suspension.

Stanford/MSU should be interesting. Yes, I think Iowa wins this weekend.

I would take Ole Miss in the Sugar over Florida. They'll both have 3 losses after this weekend. Ole Miss is clearly the better team right now. I know, I know, it was settled on the field. But UF has no offense since the Grier suspension.

Probably a good call.

Stanford/MSU should be interesting. Yes, I think Iowa wins this weekend.

Of course, people say that Iowa has never been tested......MSU will test them.

I would like to see Iowa win....but I think MSU will.

It pains me to write that OSU played uninspired football except for the Va Tech & Michigan games. I'm a huge OSU homer and I just don't think they will be rewarded with a top 4 game even if Clemson & Bama lose Saturday. Most of the pundits stated Stanford would get in over OSU if those upsets occur.

North Carolina should get consideration if they pull off the upset, which would make 11 wins in a row. That's better than any other team on the outside looking in.

It pains me to write that OSU played uninspired football except for the Va Tech & Michigan games. I'm a huge OSU homer and I just don't think they will be rewarded with a top 4 game even if Clemson & Bama lose Saturday. Most of the pundits stated Stanford would get in over OSU if those upsets occur.

North Carolina should get consideration if they pull off the upset, which would make 11 wins in a row. That's better than any other team on the outside looking in.

They say that MSU/Iowa is a play-in game. Why would NC/Clemson also not be one?

Here is the reason: Even if NC wins.....they may not get selected because the decided to schedule 2 FCS teams this year.

The committee could decide (rightly in my view) that UNC should be punished for putting together that kind of schedule.

So, they could be out.

Beyond that....I think the committee should consider a team's losses when deciding. Who had the "best loss"?

Well, Stanford has 2 losses. They lost to Northwestern ...who lost to Michigan 38-0...and Mich. lost to Ohio St. 43-13.

And they lost to Oregon...who lost close to Mich. St. but also who lost 61-20 to Utah, and who lost to Wash St.

No, the best "loss" was by Ohio St......last second to a team now still in the Top 5.

Ohio State's loss is actually better than Alabama's.....to Ole Miss....and Oklahoma's to Texas

As far as OSU "sleepwalking" that should not matter.....they won all those games but the one.....and again that was still a last play loss....its not like they got hammered.

You can't drag out the transitive property in football the try and prove a point.

UNC would also have a better win than OSU.

If they beat Clemson....sure, arguably.

What are their relative strength of schedules ?

UNC played 2 FCS schools.....and Ohio State played in the Big Ten....which in general is tougher than the ACC....and they played in the Big Ten East....which arguably could be said to be the best Division in College Football (the Big 12 having no divisions).

Thanks partly to your boys in blue.

1. Clemson

2. Alabama

3. Michigan State

4. Oklahoma

I think they drop Oklahoma down one after MSU added to its resume. I really won't be shocked if OU gets bounced out though in favor of OSU or Stanford. since one of their biggest wins was against Baylor who lost to Texas today to drop to 9-3.

I want to see OSU play Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

It would be the highest rated bowl game this year. That and fans traveling to the games is what the powers that be want.

And no 2 teams travel as well as those two teams.

Alabama-OU in the natty is my prediction. Bama got the best matchup they could ask for. Clemson did whip OU by like 50 in their bowl game last year (Gipper, find out how many times teams have played each other in their bowls two years in a row), but I think OU pulls it out this year.

Alabama-OU in the natty is my prediction. Bama got the best matchup they could ask for. Clemson did whip OU by like 50 in their bowl game last year (Gipper, find out how many times teams have played each other in their bowls two years in a row), but I think OU pulls it out this year.

This is like the Army....you have an idea....you're in charge. YOU tell us the answer to the question you ask.

Archived