THE BROWNS BOARD

If Pettine is not around next year, is Chip Kelly a good option?

jiggins7919

Look, I'm not screaming for Pettine and Farmer to be fired. I find myself trying to strike a balance between our franchise desperately needing continuity, and also needing the right KIND of continuity. That being said, if Haslam decides to indeed "blow it up again", is Chip Kelly the kind of guy we want in Cleveland?

A few years ago, it was widely reported that Chip Kelly was our #1 candidate, and it even appeared likely that we would hire him. For whatever reason, it didn't work out, and he went to the Eagles with modest results. Kelly is a well-documented control freak, and he basically holds all of the keys to the Eagles personnel decisions and game planning (from what I understand). In my opinion, Kelly is a forward thinker and is different from other "NFL retreads" because of his scheme and willingness to take risks. I know this is a huge "if", but if Kelly is our guy, would Manziel be JUST the right kind of guy for his offense? (again, assuming that party boy is still on our roster) I've watched a few of the Eagles games, and I've seen both Bradford and Sanchez miss some pretty easy passes. Kelly appears to have a good understanding of what it takes to get guys open, and maybe Manziel's mobility adds an extra dimension to the Kelly offense that neither Bradford nor Sanchez can provide.

I know, I know...I'm completely reaching, and right now Pettine is under contract and so is Kelly. The only reason I posted this topic is that it's something else to talk about besides the Manziel cluster-taco, and Kelly had a brief connection to our team at one time. Add in the fact that Manziel could possibly be an awesome fit in Kelly's scheme, and this idea could get a little traction. Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that both Kelly and the Eagles are tiring of each other.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25388495/report-chip-kelly-eagles-are-sick-of-each-other-could-part-ways

So what do you think? Is this topic a complete waste of time, or is this something you hope gets explored?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be pretty happy with Dungy, and Manning as OC. Not that I think Flip deserves to go necessarily, but there's a dream ticket right there.

Sign me up.

Let's please hope Pettine is still around next year or we're gonna get another round of the sports world laughing and peeing on us.

That being said, if Manning says i'll be the OC if you hire Dungy as HC.....ok deal. Then people would understand why we fired Pettine. But if we fire pettine and go into beggar mode again, "pweeeeeessee come to Cleveland"....the franchise is done. We don't fire another head coach for YEARS without his replacement ready to go next day.

I think Chip Kelly can coach football, but he has proven he is incapable of managing a roster and calling all the shots personnel-wise. If he was willing to work for a GM, then he'd be worth another shot...

That being said, I don't think Philly gets rid of him just yet...

I'd be pretty happy with Dungy, and Manning as OC. Not that I think Flip deserves to go necessarily, but there's a dream ticket right there.

I would seriously eat my hat if Manning goes right from playing to being an OC. Why the hell would he want to do that? I just don't see it. Front office position for him, yeah I could see that happening but you really just don't see future HOF players taking coordinator jobs one year away from the playing field.

I would seriously eat my hat if Manning goes right from playing to being an OC. Why the hell would he want to do that? I just don't see it. Front office position for him, yeah I could see that happening but you really just don't see future HOF players taking coordinator jobs one year away from the playing field.

Oh I don't see it happening for sure, but it's been mooted. You've got to think with his robotic mechanics he'd be at least a great QB coach, and his reading of opposing Ds is good for play design/calling.

Oh I don't see it happening for sure, but it's been mooted. You've got to think with his robotic mechanics he'd be at least a great QB coach, and his reading of opposing Ds is good for play design/calling.

That's why I'd see him taking a front office position and then having the ability to help out with the planning and play calling.

Chip Kelly imo runs an unreasonable offense for the nfl. There is a reason he's struggled since the one season he took the league by surprise. The Browns would need to change a large part of their team to make his quick offense work. Firing yet another coach is one of the bigger mistakes the Browns could make. When was the last coach that was actually able to make a mark on a team in Cleveland? Continuity and trust will go a long way with pettine. You can't keep white washing the process and expect something to miraculously change. You should hope that if haslam learned anything while part of the steelers it was that continuity is important. No way would I fire pettine after one season.

Chip Kelly imo runs an unreasonable offense for the nfl. There is a reason he's struggled since the one season he took the league by surprise. The Browns would need to change a large part of their team to make his quick offense work. Firing yet another coach is one of the bigger mistakes the Browns could make. When was the last coach that was actually able to make a mark on a team in Cleveland? Continuity and trust will go a long way with pettine. You can't keep white washing the process and expect something to miraculously change. You should hope that if haslam learned anything while part of the steelers it was that continuity is important. No way would I fire letting after one season.

I'm a big proponent for the element of surprise.. But Kelly's O is a bit like the Run and Shoot offenses of the 80's.(A fad Offense). That's pretty much how I see Kelly as running nothing more than a trick offense that will get sussed and and shut down in no time.. And that apparently seems to be the case.. I'm all for ingenuity. But, I think it has to make sense and it has to be based on some kind of structure and solid foundation.

I'm a big proponent for the element of surprise.. But Kelly's O is a bit like the Run and Shoot offenses of the 80's.(A fad Offense). That's pretty much how I see Kelly as running nothing more than a trick offense that will get sussed and and shut down in no time.. And that apparently seems to be the case.. I'm all for ingenuity. But, I think it has to make sense and it has to be based on some kind of structure and solid foundation.

His offense has already been figured out imo. He had success right out of the gate and that was all she wrote. It's also when Foles had his "break out" and what has he done since? Chip Kelly imo isn't a NFL head coach and if I were a browns fan he may be the last guy I'd want signed to a contract. The Browns need to keep pettine around. Give the guy another season or two because head coach musicial chairs has been going on for way too long in Cleveland. I think the only way I would fire Pettine is if a dream scenario came to head. Dungy or Cowher for example. I also have no idea why people are all excited for the Manning prospect. He may not even retire and i cant see him jumping into a coordinator role or a front office role immediately.

His offense has already been figured out imo. He had success right out of the gate and that was all she wrote. It's also when Foles had his "break out" and what has he done since? Chip Kelly imo isn't a NFL head coach and if I were a browns fan he may be the last guy I'd want signed to a contract. The Browns need to keep pettine around. Give the guy another season or two because head coach musicial chairs has been going on for way too long in Cleveland. I think the only way I would fire Pettine is if a dream scenario came to head. Dungy or Cowher for example. I also have no idea why people are all excited for the Manning prospect. He may not even retire and i cant see him jumping into a coordinator role or a front office role immediately.

Yeah I'm with you here.. Just based on the fact Manning has 0 front office experience and acumen. That's not saying he cant grow in to the role.. But the Browns have no time to dick around with GM training on the fly. Id rather we pull Bill Pollian into the fold. He has a great proven track record with procuring talent. I'm not the biggest Pettine fan. But I also don't think Dungy could repeat the fire and zeal of committing to win a SB.. He's got one already. I doubt Cowher would come. He's settled into a nice analyst role and I dont think trolling the sidelines appeals to him at this point , in his life.. But.. Money changes everything of course.

Chip Kelly wasn't a good idea the first time around.

Yep, plus he didn't want to come here, said we didn't have enough talent.

So what does he do in Philly? Purges the talent they had (McCoy, Maclin, DeSean Jackson, etc.). I think the Browns could beat the Eagles right now.

Archived