THE BROWNS BOARD

Important April dates in American History (History Buffs)

Mr. T

What do we know about American history for the month of April? I know its still March but we can start early.

We start with Paul Revere's Legendary midnight ride of April 18, 1775

On April 19, 1775, British and American soldiers exchanged fire in the Massachusetts towns of Lexington and Concord

Paul Revere and his watchful "mechanics" were well known to the British who kept an eye, in turn, on them as they patrolled Boston streets alert to signs of English military movements. Revolution, pungent as wood smoke, was in the winter air. Revere had learned early in December that a new English Order in Council prohibited import of arms and ammunition into any part of North America. Portsmouth, an imperial port, had a large store of ammunition at the poorly defended Fort William and Mary on New Castle Island. The order also required that the munitions currently in the Colonies should be immediately protected

April 14 - Lincoln is shot John Wilkes Booth shoots President Abraham Lincoln at a play at . . .

Fifty-two American citizens were taken hostage when militant students of radical Islam stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran.[1] Shortly thereafter, U.S. President Jimmy Carter ordered a complete embargo of Iranian oil; stronger economic embargoes followed. On April 8, 1980, Carter severed diplomatic relations with Iran after negotiations for the hostages' release failed.

The Waco Massacreon April 19, 1993

Waco.jpg

The Oklahoma City bombing was a domestic terrorist attack on April 19, 1995 aimed at the U.S. government in which the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building,

The Columbine High School massacre occurred on Tuesday, April 20, 1999

or

Columbine Mine massacre to distinguish it from the Columbine High School massacre, occurred in 1927, in the town of Serene, Colorado. A fight broke out between state police and a group of striking coal miners, during which the coal miners were attacked with machine guns. It is unclear whether the machine guns were used by the police or by guards working for the mine.

The Virginia Tech massacre was a school shooting consisting of two separate attacks approximately two hours apart on April 16, 2007

DAY OF SILENCE, April 18, 2007: The Day of Silence is an annual event held to bring attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools

Earth Day - April 19th 2009? oh brother.

It looks as if a lot of this shit went down during the Clinton era. Hmm. Will we see the same type of shit during the Obama (Jimmy Carter II) era?

I imagine that Paul Revere's famous ride, would be something in the same realm of bad news for those who were British loyalists.

I am safe to say that with over 200 years of history we could find more notable dates of intrest.

Archived