THE BROWNS BOARD

Understanding Europe

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Since our resident right-wingers seem to be taking particular glee in citing European opposition to coordinated stimulus and financial bailouts, it's probably a good idea to understand what the Europeans are actually saying and why they're saying it. So here are two clips explaining explaining precisely that.

First, what the Europeans are saying:

And why "the lessons of history" are leading them in that (perhaps mistaken) direction:

Well, as a moderate American, a conservative patriot, I am shocked that there are only two people

in Europe.

Learn somethin every freakin day. Hmm.

Mamma, I wanna be a "Conservative Patriot," too!

Thanks for posting those, Alo. Perhaps I'll soon be able to tell Europeans I'm American again.

Mamma, I wanna be a "Conservative Patriot," too!

Thanks for posting those, Alo. Perhaps I'll soon be able to tell Europeans I'm American again.

The fact that you mean this and are that ashamed of your country explains a lot of your other posts.

The fact that you mean this and are that ashamed of your country explains a lot of your other posts.

Thank you. Finally someone gets me...................

I love living here but the reputation that Troglodyte Bush was giving me (read: us) worldwide was embarrassing as hell.

Thank you. Finally someone gets me...................

I love living here but the reputation that Troglodyte Bush was giving me (read: us) worldwide was embarrassing as hell.

No the fact that so many American's are worried about what people around the world think of us is embarrassing as hell. Do you think they give one solitary fck about what we think of them. No, they don't care at all, b/c for the last 60 years (WWII-9/11) it didn't matter what they did if they needed help (monetary, military) we were right there to help them. So, no, I don't give a rats azz what THEY think of us.

No the fact that so many American's are worried about what people around the world think of us is embarrassing as hell. Do you think they give one solitary fck about what we think of them. No, they don't care at all, b/c for the last 60 years (WWII-9/11) it didn't matter what they did if they needed help (monetary, military) we were right there to help them. So, no, I don't give a rats azz what THEY think of us.

Might be the statement of the year. I couldn't of said it better myself.

I lived in England for 4 years, those arrogant fcks. They say Americans are arrogant, lol. Every time I would bring up the topic, we saved your ass in WWII, no one wants to talk about it. Only the negativity of American's being fat and stupid. I've seen some fat fcks in England too, let alone 1/2 of my class going out at lunch to sniff glue.

My grandmother (RIP) worked for the English fire brigade during WWII (sitting on rooftops alerting where the Nazi's were bombing). She was always gracious towards our country. Past generations know what we did for the world. Knowing that without the US, they would be a shell of a Nazi country. As Tobi Keith as it sounds, I am proud of my country, just not the people running it.

I think Drezner's point about Europe being a larger welfare state than the US should serve as warning to why we shouldn't seek to increase our welfare system. It's essentially a highly leveraged company that becomes too burdened in a cyclical market (which we've always been in) when its resources get over used in an economic downturn.

With the track record of everything the government has ever put its hands on, it is very clear it is not a dynamic enough entity to make the necessary adjustments to a shifty market.

I also disagree with his point about deflation. Sure it slows financial markets that makes its money off of the sale & exchange of money, nothing more (101 version). Rapid spikes in these sectors lead us into our current situation. Whereas the production side of an economy where goods & services are exchanged shows the viable, stable health of an economy, rather than simply cruising on short term growth.

We have a fine example of this at our gas pumps. The credit markets dry up, gas drops in half. Because commodities traders lost their money to play with, they also lose out on the opportunity to make more money to play with. That's why you see these severe losses being posted.

Dad gummit I DO lurve Umerica!!!

We get it, you love you country you must be a hillbilly. That's some pretty progressive thinking. Come on man. You don't have to be a hillbilly to be patriotic. You say some pretty smart stuff, but now YOU sound like the hillbilly.

We get it, you love you country you must be a hillbilly. That's some pretty progressive thinking. Come on man. You don't have to be a hillbilly to be patriotic. You say some pretty smart stuff, but now YOU sound like the hillbilly.

You insinuated that because I was embarrassed to be an American abroad under Bush meant I wasn't "patriotic," whatever the f that means. I'm saying one thing has nothing to do with another.

I would agree that I have been embarrassed to be identified as an American while traveling abroad. Everyone always questions our illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now with Obama, I feel more comfortable with being an American. Hopefully we can quickly abandon these futile wars and concentrate on social programs.

I would agree that I have been embarrassed to be identified as an American while traveling abroad. Everyone always questions our illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now with Obama, I feel more comfortable with being an American. Hopefully we can quickly abandon these futile wars and concentrate on social programs.

'Cause we definitely don't have enough social programs. And by the way, this current President is basically following the same schedule left to him in Iraq and is amping up in Afghanistan even more. And real quick, all of Congress had the same information before the Iraq War and they voted to give him authority over the situation. By definition not illegal (unconstitutional perhaps) and if Afghanistan is illegal why aren't you railing on Obama to give it up as well.

By definition not illegal (unconstitutional perhaps) and if Afghanistan is illegal why aren't you railing on Obama to give it up as well.

The wars aren't illegal per se, they're just oppressive and, well, stupid. And they make us look oppressive and, well, stupid as a country. And I'm tired of being affiliated with that oppression and stupidity.

But since Obama isn't pulling anyone out just yet, this isn't where our image improves. It improves insofar as much as we are no longer attached to that fcuking idiot/criminal/scumbag/hick as the face of our nation any longer. We now have a respectable/intelligent/well-spoken face instead.

The wars aren't illegal per se, they're just oppressive and, well, stupid. And they make us look oppressive and, well, stupid as a country. And I'm tired of being affiliated with that oppression and stupidity.

But since Obama isn't pulling anyone out just yet, this isn't where our image improves. It improves insofar as much as we are no longer attached to that fcuking idiot/criminal/scumbag/hick as the face of our nation any longer. We now have a respectable/intelligent/well-spoken face instead.

So again you're talking about perception and not fact...and I ask you again why the fck do you care what they think? Seriously if it wasn't for us and a hick from Missouri they wouldn't exist in the fashion they do today. If you truly value yourself by how your perceived by others (particularly hypocrites who's support allows wanes when times get rough) then I pity you.

Your opinion makes no sense, past the "Bush was imperfect in the war on terror" whining.

So, it is supposed to be okay that countries protect the terrorists, allowing them to grow in wealth and

organization, and attack us at will?

We're supposed to take them on directly, instead of going after a whole country? We're supposed

to be nice to saddam and sons, and give them billions of dollars to stop the radicalism for us?

Or wait til they hit us again, and only prosecute the hitters after they are also dead? again and again?

What are you saying?

Here's what I'M saying: NEVER AGAIN.

Well, NOT by going after the sick twisted dangerous terrorist org that did it.

Or, they WILL do it again.

And, their protected homeland was... Afghanistan.

And, Iraq, saddam and sons gov, had giant warehouses completely filled with

weapons. More weapons that saddams' gov could use in a 400 year war.

Know why? black market sales to terrorists - most notably, Arab terrorists.

Know why? so they could get filthy rich beyond their wildest dreams.

and they were devastingly dangerous and obscenely cruel to continue

the power to continue that black market op.

And, that's how saddam wanted to be the leader of the Arab world.

And, that's why he thumbed his nose at the UN's directives for years.

read more. A lot more, bud.

It was W and rumsfeld who said there were no good targets in afghanistan and decided Iraq was the better plan,not me

I read more in a week than you have in your life unless you count comic books because I dont read those.

At the time of the Iraq invasion Afghanistan was nowhere near as occupied with terrorist as it is now. This is an area where I will admit to you that they fcked up. But if we hadn't gone into Iraq we would not have driven the terrorist into Afg. When it comes to actual Europe, both Spain and England experienced attacks of their own...and even those countries (particularly Spain) have taken a 'turn the other cheek' mode toward terrorism. It is situations like this that just won't allow me to give one iota to what they think of us.

Archived